5efte carbon clad submarine.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jamboree was interesting. I heading out to willowbank last wednesday for a test and tune night with the new tires and a little less weight. First run went 11.40 @ 127mph. Next run, the car developed a bad misfire and ran an 11.8. Third run the gearbox refused to go into 2nd. After that the throttle got stuck wide open. Further investigation found this. Again.....

12092012344.jpg

The screw bent a valve and damaged another seat. I was ready to pull out of jamboree but Zuboo talked me into getting it fixed. I pulled the head off sunday, the head was rebuilt monday and another member M03 express posted me another std head gasket.

19092012348.jpg

19092012349.jpg

Replaced my cracked windscreen on tuesday night. Also added a visor. I couldnt find black contact anywhere so I used a kitchen drawer liner. Either way, kept the sun out of my eyes.

18092012347.jpg

21092012353.jpg

Managed to get it all back together in time. First qualifying pass it would go into second again and ran a 12.2 @ 120mph. Second qualifying run, the car launched alright and I managed to grind it into 2nd and 3rd for a 11.1 @ 126mph. The 60ft time is still over a tenth slower than when I ran the 11.2, This put me in top qualifier for my class.

Video - Me versus Zuboo. All the noise is Zuboo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79nKDYwpZs&list=UUc3E4IoV_NBgfIrBALgT-Nw&index=1&feature=plcp

24092012358.jpg

Sunday, first round eliminations, I nailed the reaction time with a 0.06sec but the car wouldnt go into second again and ran an 11.4 @ 124 and I got eliminated. They opend grudge racing up for us so I went back to try and grab a 10. I got through the burnout and then the accelerator dropped to the floor. I got pushed off the track only to find the throttle shaft had snapped in half :rolleyes: So a lesson for all, stay the hell away from mustang throttle bodies. As you can see on the window, confidence was high for a 10 :p

post-212447-1348388232896856766.jpg

Once I get a new throttle body on, ill head back out to try for a 10. Maybe throw some auto transfer fluid in the gearbox first. Theres also a motorkahna that I wanted to enter that is the national championships in 2 weeks time though. Oh and the car is still running the same 246hp that its had for months. I might even turn the boost up over 20 if it wont crack a 10 the way it is

Edited by -Harry-

If like 50mm would be enough take the TB from a Toyota 7A-FE engine. And if needed widen it a bit.

I think std starlet is 55mm. Mine is about 70mm. I think im just re-drilling my manifold to suit something common like sr20 or VL commodore.

What size tyres are you running?

MT 22x8x13. Their on a 5.5 rim so they pull in a lot and are only about 7" wide. Weigh nothing compared to the 20x8" steel rims I used to run though. Im guessing thats where my 3 extra mph came from the past 2 weeks. Only change was the wheels and toms front bar. 60ft could stilluse some improving. The tires have about 8 pass's on them though.

Edited by -Harry-
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A few small updates. Ive been working on fixing all the little things on the car and the last second bodge jobs that have added up over the years. I think it is finally getting to the 'reliable' stage :p

I removed the front crash bar and some of the chasis rails. Replaced with alloy box frame. New brackets made for radiator, oil cooler and intercooler. New 3" alloy pipework and intercooler inverted for a more direct route. New tow hook fabbed up as well.

12122012036.jpg

New ultra racing rear sway bar

16122012048.jpg

Rear hatch secured with 1x zeus clip. No more cable ties :)

16122012049l.jpg

Front bar fitted with 4x zeus clips.

12122012039.jpg

Headlight covers cut off and glassed to front bar with carbon fibre. One day I might mould the lights and a toms grill and do it in carbon but I dont think its worth the effort. The car is a breeze to work on now.

29122012059.jpg

29122012056.jpg

I think Its finally time to upgrade my brakes as well. Im looking closely at the WMS kits. They really seem like a quality bit of gear for a good price. If keri is reading, Im open to sponsorship :p

Once I get bigger brakes, ill need some bigger wheels. Ive already lined up some 15x8" buddy clubs and will be getting some 8" dunlop slicks too.

Cheers

Harry

You have to fab up brackets and drill a hole through them. Then rivet the locking pin onto the bracket. They are a nightmare to line up but once you know where they are going the rest is pretty easy. For ease of use when their done, it was worth every hour.

On a downside, Ive just spent the last 6 hours pulling starlets off Fearless's property and removing my car and Zuboo's while they cleared out his house. Water is rising fast again. 30 year flood my ass. its only been 2 years. :cray:

• 2 weeks later...

I tripped over my front clip last week, not only hurting myself but tearing my dodgey workmanship to pieces (it was held together with silcone and scrap bit of carbon). I rebuilt it all with proper bolts and nylon threaded nuts to get fitment just right. I also wanted a toms grill but im cheap so I just took a hacksaw to the std one. Wired in a set of 55w driving lights and rewired my tail lights and brake lights.

QR is commencing night time street sprints as of this Wednesday smile.png Zuboo and I headed out to check out the lighting at the drift event last night and it was very dark. One car spun out and turned off his headlights and disappeared. Should make for some interesting racing.

Also bought a c52 gearbox of dan131 for a bargain. Ill start rebuilding that probably next week and picked up a civic radiator shroud. It better improve cooling, it weighs a tonne.

Ill try and get some footage on the gopro3 on wednesday night

09022013095.jpg

09022013096.jpg

Edited by -Harry-

Unbelievable thread 😮 took me nearly an hour to read it all!

Very nice idea with the bumper coming off and having all that instant access.

Nice yard, nice weather what more could you ask for....apart from the floods, need to get cracking on mine when it stops snowing 😠

Went Racing last night. Lighting was pretty poor but it added an element of danger. Was probably one of the most enjoyable track days Ive ever done.

Got some footage but the camera mount twisted half way through the first flying lap. You can see how dark it is on the warm up lap though.

20130213193011.jpg

The car was extremely competetive. Only a cobra with rediculous money spent on it beat me in my group.

Edited by -Harry-
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been a while for any updates on this. I bought another toy to play with so some funds were temporarily diverted. Well worth it though biggrin.png Zuboo and fearless also invested in some other toys. I think the count is 4 bikes, 4 four wheel drives and 4 race cars between the three of us.

20130310162038.jpg

20130310152747.jpg

59880210151815468428327.jpg

26922710151815467218327.jpg

20130310173053.jpg

20130310173033.jpg

I have future plans of upgrading my brakes for which nothing fits under 14's. Some extra contact patch wouldn't hurt either so If I have to go bigger, why not do it properly? Ordered some Buddyclub P1's in 15x8 +32. Some dunlop 220x565 slicks will be going on these in coming weeks.

20130522134252.jpg

20130522134321.jpg

Iphone for scale on the width of these babys.

20130522134539.jpg

Also ordering so powerflex bushs for the rear beam and panhard rod to stiffen the rear up a little. The car just got dropped down to definition motorsport to have the race seat installed 2 inchs lower and fixed into the chasis and cage. I dont know if anyone has looked under their rails, but the only thing stopping the seat moving forward or back is a little 5mm pin on one side only. After all the recent neck and back injuries locally, I got scared.

Plan is to have everything ready for the night sprints happening again on the 5th of next month.

Cheers

Harry

• 3 months later...