5efte carbon clad submarine.

Hey guys. Im stuck at work on a sunday and after hearing about the site from a few oz members i thought Id join.

This is my car.

specs;

5efe block and crank, 4efte head and sump, Mild head work, ported top of head to lower comp ratio, reground cams with 3mm more lift, stock valve gear and head bolts, CP 8.5:1 pistons, PAR 5e rods rated at 200hp per rod, ground crank, asl Bearings, 720cc injectors, walbro pump + Bosch 044 prototype inline pump, standard fuel rail and reg, Modifyed CAS and smoothed dizzy cap, 4x bocsh coils, 9mm leads, Swift GTi radiator, Zex 75hp shot of nitrous, 3" dump to 3" straight through exhaust, hi-flow cat and cheap ass cannon, Autronic SM4 ecu + Autronic CDI Garret GT2540 turbo, Kyb shocks and king springs.

What it used to look like.

firsten8.jpg

Interior

interioruo6.jpg

Side View

Image023.jpg

Then went for a more subtle approach. Removed kit, wing + rims

Image062.jpg

Engine bay before:Image022-2.jpg\

Engine bay after i put in a heap of har work. (took me 12hours to polish the rocker cover)

aaaaed1.jpg

First at the drags

post-41355-11758622803010435.jpg

Thought Id save some weight

doorfulldn5.jpg

doorpaintry6.jpg

lexanhatchmz5.jpg

joshzy0.jpgsounddeadremovedam8.jpg

wholepainttu7.jpg

My turbo, TD04l and ct9

3turbosld4.jpg

Got sick of busting engine mounts

rearmountbj0.jpg

Dry carbon bonnet. VERY light weight.

dsc00021zg0.jpg

Race doors painted with rattle cans

dsc00022qg3.jpg

Launched so hard the dash fell out B)

dsc00024rr2.jpg

Ran 11.7 @ 121mph...not bad.

dsc00025xi3.jpg

The dyno. Bottom line Is stock cams. Next one is 3mm lift cams. Next one up is stock cams with 55 shot nitrous. (this is what I did the 11.7 with), The next one up again is cams with 55 shot nitrous. Much more agressive. Im now making 300hp atw but no pics of the dyno sheet yet. Rev limiter is 7500rpm. will go higher but stock valve springs just makes valve bounce and the had is also lifting :)

dsc00047yd5.jpg

Had a phtoshoot for a magazine so we added a few wanky bits and some volks.

preview.JPG

preview2.JPG

dsc00125if3.jpg

Well thats a quick montage' of the car. What you dont see is the past 2 years of hard work and many problems but its all been worth it.

Comments and questions welcome.

Cheers

Harry

Edited by -Harry-
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Most of the specs are in the first post. If you want anything in more detail, feel free to ask.

I have a vid of my first 12.2 run and a crappy cameraphone vid of an 11.8 run. Their both on you tube, if you search for the username "5efte" youll probably find a vid of my car on the dyno there too.

Cheers

Harry

Little update. I made a gauge pod for the centre of the dash. I couldn see my gauges properly down low when racing and i thought this would give a better viewing angle.

First I made a template out of paper for the middle of the dash then cut out some mdf.

75904618rv1.jpg

Then I Moulded the raise in the dash with some fibreglass.

88168054au9.jpg

Then I drilled the holes for the gauges and glued the face plate to the fibre glass. I then stretched a t-shirt over the whole thing and glassed it. I used some 56mm pvc pipe and cut it at 15 degree angles to face the gauges towards me then boged around it so it all looked smooth. This was just fixing up some gaps.

95649101bw4.jpg

Bit of spray putty and primer.

50887226br1.jpg

All finished. Their right where I want them and their easy to glance at while racing. :) Not the greatest looking thing in the world but not bad for my first time with fibreglass.

92896712is3.jpg

16001186pm1.jpg

Ill be experimenting with carbon fibre soon and hopfully dping a bit of molding and vacumn bagging so Ill mold this and press out a light weight copy B)

fark your pretty resourcefull, what do you do for a living by the way?

Im actually a nurse. Starting another degree in paramedics later this year. Im just sick of paying top dollar for people to screw me over so I do as much as I can myself now, wheel allignments, gearbox rebuilds, the nitrous install, im just learning as much as I can.

Thanks for the comments.

Also last race meet went well, ran consistant 11's all day long. I accidently changed from 3rd to 2nd gear on one run. The datalogger showed that it went to 9500rpm. That was the first run of the day and it ran flawlessly the rest of the day so I dont think I did any damage

fark thats minted what wheel/tyre combo are you using to get those grippy launches? also are you running any open diff?

as you dont mention one above

I was using stock starlet 14" rims cut and 8" bands welded on with custom offset and MT 20x14x8 slicks. They were very heavy but I was running 1.7 flat 60 foots. Im now running second hand (old) MT 22x15x8 tires on crappy 6inch wide 15" rims. They pull the tire in to much so its not utilising the 8inch of tire there. Their also old and very hard. I needed to go 22's as I was coming on the limiter @ 119mph with the old slick. Soon ill be buying some new 24" slicks and using a corolla 4.11 diff. Ratios should be approx same but much more tire on the road.

As for the diff, I was using a 1.5 trd lsd but I was disappointed with the way the car drifted to the outside during hard cornering. So I sold the box and with the money from that bought a new clutch and another g/box and welded the spider gears. Traction is unbeatable now and handling through corners is unmatched. Accelerating through a corner actually pulls you further in. Its a bitch to park though :)

• 5 weeks later...