• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a big fan of special projects and over the years i have followed many ep82/91 conversions (5efte, k20, 3sgte, 4age 16v/20v, 4agte, 2zz, etc.)...they make for variety and add some flavour :thumbsup::D ...i think they have their place if the owner understands what the overall purpose is (showcar, hobby, drag, race, self fulfillment, etc) and has the means to build it properly (funds/money, tools, skills, knowledge, etc)

in saying that, over the years some members on the various starlets sites have started projects and either aborted them early or built them on tight budgets and therefore have not gotten the most out of them...my advice to anyone doing such a project is to undertake the necessary research, then re-research that research :D ,,set up a physical budget (excel, paper, something) and see how the costs unfold...then add in 10% - 20% contingencies for when stuff goes wrong or just pops up 8)

now with regards to the specific 3sgte conversion,,,back in the day this was considered because some felt it would make the light body starlet into a missile/rocket..a few have done it and realised it made easier power than the 4e/5e, but the conversion process, weight distribution, customization and other related issues generally outweighed the benefits.......even when the money tree was strong and it was done successfully, there were issues of getting the power to the ground.

i'd advice anyone attempting such "exotic" engine conversions (not referring to the direct swap 5e) to have good supporting people and/or know how to do a lot of this stuff yourself, as it would help keep the costs down..from a cost benefit perspective, the built 4efte or 5efte with a matching turbo, ecu, etc to support your power needs usually works out cheaper, easier and possibly more reliable...its been proven that you can get from 300bhp - nearly 570bhp out of these 4e/5e engines depending on how far you want to take it.

just to reiterate, please thoroughly think through all of the logistics before attempting such projects,,,so you can decide to abort early (never start) or see the project completely through in a satisfactory manner....i'd close by saying that, i've also realised that some people will do what they want regardless, which is totally fine 8)8)

first 3sgte in a starlet i saw was in the early 2000s from australia if i remember correctly...it was very nicely done

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Someone's done a k20 I think .. I swear there is a build thread somewhere on here

Seems pointless though.

why swop boost for VTEC when it's just as complex to install, maybe more expensive and makes less power.

If you turbocharged the k20 you would have a monster but it won't be cheap.

Someone's done a k20 I think .. I swear there is a build thread somewhere on here

Seems pointless though.

why swop boost for VTEC when it's just as complex to install, maybe more expensive and makes less power.

If you turbocharged the k20 you would have a monster but it won't be cheap.

There's a girl in Australia that has done a k24 swap

She spends a lot of time on track

https://noisyninja.wordpress.com/

You're missing the point somewhat, VTEC isn't a replacement for a turbo, not sure how you can compare the two?

But for a reliable, fairly modern engineered engine, you can't look past a K20. It will drive better than a 4e/5e with similar power mainly because you aren't waiting for a turbo to spool up, however quickly it does so.

The chassis development I have in my car makes it a great package, it has flaws, much like any other FWD car, but it changes direction as well if not better than anything I've ever driven.

Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough, but I'm yet to go beyond the limits of my chassis.

I haven't driven a Honda on track to compare, but I've plenty of seat time in a friends R53 Mini Challenge car, there's not much between them.

People are quick to rubbish ep*'s because they don't have IRS, probably helps the others, but it's not the be all and end all.

Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough, but I'm yet to go beyond the limits of my chassis.

I haven't driven a Honda on track to compare, but I've plenty of seat time in a friends R53 Mini Challenge car, there's not much between them.

People are quick to rubbish ep*'s because they don't have IRS, probably helps the others, but it's not the be all and end all.

I have an ep3 as a daily, and have done quite a bit of track time in it, i would say it certianly gives you a lot more confidence than the starlet chasis, but the feedback from a starlet means that they arent impossible to drive fast, you just to have be prepared from some understeer.

A civic is definately easier to drive fast, but atleast on the circuits ive driven (les mans, silverstone, fontennay, maison blanche) that the starlet would be far behind, i also think the additional legs on the srraights could potential make it a faster car

Have you even driven a K20? Even in the civic they were not great to drive. Not as a daily anyway. Very tiresome to drive having to scream it for the power. How you can say that it would suit the starlet over a 4e is crazy.

And I love the K20 for the fact when you are in race mode it is too the red line everywhere. It's a fun car. Just tiresome as a daily for the moments you do want a blast.

Great car and engine though, just not for the Starlet

starlets just arnt designed for it ..

For the money it would cost to do you could buy a roadrunner kit car and drop your k20 in that .

I dare to say a well tuned forged 4e/5e and suspension setup would eat any n/a k20 on the road, in my experience ive got boost long before vtec kicks in.

starlets just arnt designed for it ..

For the money it would cost to do you could buy a roadrunner kit car and drop your k20 in that .

I dare to say a well tuned forged 4e/5e and suspension setup would eat any n/a k20 on the road, in my experience ive got boost long before vtec kicks in.

Starlets are perfectly capable around track and with a 4e

Yes it might be a little better with irs but you make do with what it's got, and personally I don't think that it's the problem it's up to the driver how fast the car goes around the track

I recently done a day at Combe and went out with a mate of mine who has won his classes in formula fords and used to race civic and after I felt much quicker and even he was impressed with how well it went

Also you need to no your car and how it's set up changing things slowing one thing at a time helps you dial in the car to suit your driving style