K20 swap-Rx7 rotor swap

So thinking of doing a k20 swap or an rx7 rotor swap into my ep82 as an winter project next year seen a k20 swap done before into an ep what will I need to complete the build? also does anyone know if an rotor engine has been swaped into an starlet before and if there's a thead I can look at would much appreciate your advice.

Thanks Tez

k20 is the best 4cyl engine in the world. So correct choice.

Issues your going to encounter:

1, Unlike keeping things within the same family. (Toyota) differences between engines and chassis, means more custom work. Clocks, some connectors, some elements of driveshafts, linkages. etc are much more likely to work with a Toyota Engine.

2, Height. The K20 is a very tall engine. You dont realise how small a 4E-FTE is until you look at other 4cyl engines out there.

The K20 engine in a ep82 in jdm, if you've ever seen a shot of the car from a low angle, it has NO ground Clearance. So ideally the engine would need to be raised. Which would in turn need the engine raising up. Which is bad. Pointing back at 4AGE or 2ZZ?

3, Custom work. Welding and Alot of precise metal fabrication required! Have u got the skills to create driveshafts, engine mounts, brackets, pipework and exhausts from scratch.

4, Space. When i first went to put my 2zz in my glanza. With it sat on tis mounts. YEH, loads of space. It soon got full! There is very little room in the firewall area, so be prepared for tight working areas. Makes working on a 4E peasy!

I spoke with the Honed the people who have done a lot of work on Yings K24 EP82, they suggested there was far too much custom work involved to start a mass produced kit.

There is a B18 Glanza on here, I forget the name of the company, but they'd probably be able to help.

It's not something you can just do by throwing a bit of money at, as Socks will probably attest, it's a long process, and a very expensive one at that, especially if you're relying on a third party to carry out the work.

Depending how far along your car is, and you're keen for something other than a 4e/5e, look at an EG/EK chassis and do a k-swap with that instead.

I dont see the 4e / 5e as that much of an issue, its a pretty capable engine overall. Once youve gone forged, standalone, big turbo etc.

In standard form im not a fan tbh, ive killed a handfull over the years (my fault.. not the engines)

Its the gearboxs that cant take the torque thats the real issue. And getting the power down.

If youre gonna do an engine swap may aswell go balls out and make it 4WD at the same time.

Otherwise you'll end up 10k down, have a front heavy starlet that handles worse than when you started, that still cant put its power down. But hey its got a better engine.

I have been toying with the idea for years but i put myself off it.. for now. Beams 3sge-t longitudinally mounted for the ep85 is what i was gonna do.

Thanks guys a lot of fair comments sounds like its more work than I originally expected an rotor engine is smaller than a 4e engine so fitmemt wise wouldn't be a problem with the k20 I can see a lot of complications already lol Richard the whole point of the engine swap is to move away the the 4e haha

Thanks guys a lot of fair comments sounds like its more work than I originally expected an rotor engine is smaller than a 4e engine so fitmemt wise wouldn't be a problem with the k20 I can see a lot of complications already lol Richard the whole point of the engine swap is to move away the the 4e haha

I dont get why people want to swap engines but not move away from the chassis? Thats the biggest issue with them.

Yup its not great but if someone is REALLY in a good position to do a rotor swap or similar it's not something they couldn't sort.

I think for a fast road car or drag where handling isn't such an issue I always thought 4agte or more recently maybe the 2zz but both need a gearbox swap as well.

K20 would be better in that sense

Or a vw 1.8t

Anyways as interesting as there threads can be hypothetically- your really going to here of someone share a barely formed idea who will actually be in a position to make it happen.

I think that a 1.8t rwd swap could be done as cheaply if you had the skills on hand to do it than say a k20 turbo fwd swap. Cheaper probably

Anyways I'd say that if you were given a time attack style challenge and 10k and it had to be hot hatch you wouldn't find anything faster than a Ibiza cupra

Phil

Reason why I'm not moving away from the starlet is the reason why we're all here a passion for them I have tryed a lot of setups on the 4efte engine just want something different now love the rotor engine and how they sound and would be perfect in a starlet aswell as the k20 I have been abit put off now by it lol 4age engine is a good option aswell

There is a Facebook page called "Carros De Pista".They're a Puerto Rican page so getting much information from them can be a struggle but they regularly post rotary swapped starlets, I'd post a link to their page but not sure if I'm aloud?

Paul.