Winter Project - Now Running TD04

Well this started out as a standard uk ep91 NA, with literally everything removed from the inside and considering the added weight with turbo, intercooler ect id say it's probably lost around 50-70kgs? Making it between 750kg and 780kg?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've not put on heavy stuff though cast mani and catalyst will account for a fair bit.

Yeah true it's toyo sports mani which I presume is stainless, then a full decat stainless exhaust that doesn't weigh much. What ever the weight is, it's been on a serious diet! I'll take it to a few places next week and see what they say.

Well had an interesting couple of days with this thing. Thought we'd put some miles on it to make sure everything was running good and it was reliable after being mapped. First couple of days it was fine boosting well and nice and reliable, then on the way home one night cruising along it 60mph it cut out, dirty rattle and seriously lacking power!

Managed to nurse it of the motorway and then got it towed back to work yesterday to find no compression in cylinders 1 & 2.

So we took the head off and found this....

6EAA4748-8922-4A42-83E6-5FEB7476B26F.jpg

0F685A77-D265-465D-B1F4-025428884617.jpg

As you can see the head gasket has gone between 1 & 2 and starting to go between 3 & 4 aswell. When it came to undoing the headbolts they were finger tight and badly stretched so clearly the extra boost has caused the head to lift and allowing the head gasket to fail.

Anyway we got a new head gasket and head bolts put it all back together and it seems to be running spot on again. We're gunna stick some more miles on it tomorrow and then off to santa pod on Sunday to see what it runs 🙂

Done a few runs up santa pod today, quickest time was 15.1 but the engines in a seriously bad way! Bellowing out blue smoke pretty much all the time, pouring oil from pretty much every gasket on then engine and its building up so much pressure it's done the no3 rocker cover to spark plug gasket and forcing the coil pack to pop out. Managed to nurse it home okay which was a major relief.

Plans for it now are fully strip down the engine replace upgrade any parts the need it, strip back the interior and engine looms get rid of anything we don't need and then put it back together a lot tidier and carry out a wire tuck 👍

430F0C82-82B9-490D-9D45-A4BC7FAE3911.jpg

href='http://s76.photobucket.com/user/loz_dormer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-02/A936733B-4F04-4027-867F-7E81BD42FB51.jpg.html' rel="external nofollow">

A936733B-4F04-4027-867F-7E81BD42FB51.jpg

Edited by Budnbass

Decent run that mate. On the other hand gutted for you, new gaskets and seals etc will sort it but really could do with finding the reason behind it. I've heard people running nearly 250hp with td04 with standard internals so does seem abit weird

Decent run that mate. On the other hand gutted for you, new gaskets and seals etc will sort it but really could do with finding the reason behind it. I've heard people running nearly 250hp with td04 with standard internals so does seem abit weird

I think the rings got damaged when the head lifted, as it was fine before hand. Ideally we should have replaced the lot when we had the head off but due to time we just did a quick fix. Engine will be coming out over the next couple of weeks and we'll have a good look at it and see what's gone on

Got the engine stripped down today. The thing I love most about these cars is it can be driven In the workshop and then fully stripped down and pistons out within an hour and half. So simple yet can still run big power!

Found the reason for the excessive amount of blue smoke anyway. Piston number one has broken fortunately the part that's broke stayed intact and didn't score the block at all. Luckily we called it a day at santa pod after 2 runs because I think we'd have completely ruined this engine if we'd have done a 3rd. Shells wernt too bad but we deffinatly caugh them just in time! So now on the hunt for a new piston. Got a gasket kit on order and should be painted and rebuilt in a couple of weeks.

8DF13595-273A-4041-84D0-4D02408AFF15.jpg

0E1BE69D-6658-43C5-81BF-F0F9825A9B22.jpg

3A386520-7B6E-4893-B1A6-B642B79A42D6.jpg

86D5FFB5-61B8-4C20-82BD-2B41F1760CDF.jpg

Check the rest of your pistons. DET has most likely caused that, it could have been before you got the engine though and it was just fractured before. When you ran bigger boost its failed completely. If it's gone on one check the rest for fractures and it'll be roughly the same place on each piston.

Edited by lukEp

Check the rest of your pistons. DET has most likely caused that, it could have been before you got the engine though and it was just fractured before. When you ran bigger boost its failed completely. If it's gone on one check the rest for fractures and it'll be roughly the same place on each piston.

Cheers mate, yeah we've checked all the others throughly and the rest are fine, as soon as we took no1 out the piece dropped out. Just lucky it stayed in place and didn't score the block.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah fortunately we only needed one, I did buy another full set but one of them has cracked in exactly the same place. Engines currently in pieces and slowly being rebuilt. Really haven't had much time for it recently as we're stacked out at work with new reg and all that.