*** Update ***

Well i got back from Devon yesterday and was completely shattered and after a terrible nights sleep i woke up this morning feeling a bit poo! Despite this i dragged my ass out of bed at 7am and got over to do some work on the buggy.

I got up there after a quick stop at B&Q for another piece of steel bar and started. James and Lee @ JDModified regretably couldn't finish my fuel system as there was a problem with my Race Tech fuel rail :mellow: basically the fixing tabs are slightly in the wrong position and this means that the injectors sit at a funny angle and not square like they should. This means that the fuel will either leak around the seal or dribble into the block rather than a clean spray

The quick fix would be to elongate the holes and hope i can bodge the bracket to fit with the bolts but im not happy doing this. We have decided that the best option is to remove the fuel rail and remove the brackets and then remake them in the correct place. Also while we are at it we are going to rotate the fuel rail round 180' so that the centre return is coming up rather than down as it fouls on the inlet manifold when thats fitted.

Here are the pictures of the almost finished fuel system.........

with the inlet manifold removed, you can see the centre fuel return here and i think it will work better coming off the top as it will have a clearer path.

DSC01643.jpg

DSC01637.jpg

you can't really see it here but the injectors sit at a weird angle...........

DSC01644.jpg

FPR fitted to the frame.........

DSC01638.jpg

From the fuel cell........

DSC01639.jpg

Fuel system needs a little more work but its almost there and won't be long before its done :)

While i was there i got the passenger seat rails cut to size and welded to the frame and the seat fitted into place. All needs more welding but the whole frame needs going over when its broken down for paint so i will do it then when its back in pieces.

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

Looks so much better with 2 seats in there.

I also managed to start adding a few waterproof wiring connectors but then ran out of time :)

DSC01645.jpg

Doesn't look like i did much but im really happy i got done what i did even though i felt like poo.

I have given James the go ahead to finish the fuel system and start with the rear coilover setup which hopefully should get done this month. With the engine being wired up next month and in theory it could be started up, if it had a cooling system lol

Will update again when i have news, hopefully have the gear cables in production this coming month........ hell yes!

Jason :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** Update ***

Well its only a small update in terms of pictures but a few items are currently under development and will soon be in production.

Thought i would finish off the fuel system with the final piece to the puzzle. Tuesday the Glycerine Filled fuel pressure gauge arrived. Should look really nice in the engine bay with the rest of the shiney parts ;)

Thread is on the back so mounts directly to the Regulator.......

DSC01652.jpg

front...........

DSC01653.jpg

Then wednesday some more green arrived :p Been looking at these for ages on ebay but decided to just buy them! They are for a mr2 and although i think they would look a bit strange in one they should look great in the buggy with all the other green bits.

I just feel sorry for the Lime green cow that had to die for these......... :)

Gear and handbrake gaitor.......

DSC01655.jpg

Here is the colour match next to the 'Viper Green' im using for the main body pieces, not a million miles off......

DSC01657.jpg

I have drawn up the cad files for the gear change cables and they have been packaged up with the original MR2 cables and are getting sent out tomorrow morning to have the new cables made up. Im hoping these cables get there early next week and the company should hopefully have them back to me by the beginning of next week if im lucky. These are highyly flexible and should easily be able to bend around the engine and still work just like they should.

I have also emailed Hel who make custom braided clutch/brake lines and hopefully should have a custom braided clutch line being made shortly. Will go straight from the master cylinder straight down the centre of the buggy to the gearbox without any junctions or T pieces, oh and it will hopefully be Lime green in colour also. Not that much of it will be seen but may as well keep the bright green theme going.

I have also been up to JDModified and have gone through the suspension system on the back and will hopefully see this get done at some point this month. James wasn't really well and it looked like he has a LOAD of work on so im not going to pressure him about it and i know he will do it justice.

Plan next month is to take 2-3 days off work and help with getting the engine side of things wired in, meaning in theory the key could be turned and the engine started. Although there won't be a cooling system installed, hence why i said in theory it could be started B)

Jason :D

wow serious progress there mate loving the gaters got some good colour match there never seen a green cow toooooo i mean moo!

that fuel tank is super sexy and i hope that alternators getting some polishing attention we used to get the castings chrome plated in my old work for some local detailing lads years ago and they looked the nuts could also paint the pully lime green and the stator winding that you can see through the castings :)

• 2 weeks later...
wow serious progress there mate loving the gaters got some good colour match there never seen a green cow toooooo i mean moo!

that fuel tank is super sexy and i hope that alternators getting some polishing attention we used to get the castings chrome plated in my old work for some local detailing lads years ago and they looked the nuts could also paint the pully lime green and the stator winding that you can see through the castings :p

Thanks Dude :D Will get the alternator done at a later date, too mcuh other stuff to do at the moment........

anyway, time for an update me thinks, So..........

*** Update Time ***

Seems like i haven't done much on this for a while now but trust me, i have been doing things here and there.

Monday morning i was on the phone to Hel Performance after not recieving a reply from the guy i was originally talking to i thought 'lets cut the crap and go straight to the manufacturer' and all i can say is i highly recommend these guys!!!! FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!!!! Spoke to a guy on monday morning explaining what i was after, clutch cable @ 2.5m long and stainless end fittings. I had no idea what threads where on the strabo slave cylinder or the land rover master cylinder but they assured me they knew. I was told that my cable was going to get made on wednesday and sent to me for friday. Price as well, £27 delivered!!!! i was expecting a lot more.

Well it arrived wednesday morning! it looks awsome and fits perfectly to the buggy. Perfect length and fittings are spot on! and of course its green

DSC01674.jpg

and fitted.........

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

Now i wish i can say the same about the gear change company! Been emailing and calling for nearly 2 weeks now and finally got through to them on Thursday. I sent them the mr2 gear cables and a drawing of what im after and they never got back to me. Spent ages chassing them up just to be told that the gear cables will be £205 delivered and they are going to butcher the existing cables to make them! Oh and they don't come with a warrenty because they are using my cables as parts! Not happy with that so after a chat with the rep dealing with my job they are now going to make cables from scratch and i will get a warrenty! Now i need to wait again for them to get back to me, Fingers crossed..........

Now with the wiring being one of the next jobs to do i have started ordering parts for that. After looking at different loom coverings i have decided that i will use the normal split plastic covering stuff that comes with most looms but for the smaller bundles of wire i have found some really nice UV green braided covering. Looks so flippin bright its unreal and will make all the little wires look nice and neat.

35 metres of different stuff, shame the largest size is only 10mm, but stretch's to double that.

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

and i had a little time today so fitted a few bits to see what its like, looks great :D

DSC01693.jpg

Now i have been talking with Lee @ JDM for a bit about the wiring and today we decided that with all the cutting/adapting that needs doing with the engine loom that we will remake the loom to fit the buggy. This means it will look loads neater and im going to do a wire tuck with the bulky parts to keep it looking smooth. This means the wiring needs alot more work but worth it in the end. I started by cleaning up the loom so we can reuse certain parts and connectors.

Standard loom.............

DSC01689.jpg

crap that was removed.........

DSC01690.jpg

and the bare wires ready to be cut up and adapted for the new custom loom.......

DSC01691.jpg

Plan is to take a few days off in november and do the engine side of the wiring, Lee has given me a shopping list of everything i need so just need to buy the remaining parts and then book the work in with JDM.

As you can see i went up to JDM today to do a little work. James got the fuel rail adapted and it now fits like it should and properly seals against the block. As he needed to remove the original brackets i told him to rotate the fuel rail 180 so that the return line comes up rather than down like it did before, this gives it more room, now i just have to repolish the rail again.

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

Also got my thottle cable pieces i ordered fitted and it looks like they will work.

DSC01682.jpg

I will be up there next weekend working on it again and will be bugging James to get the rear coilovers done.

Watch this space :)

awesome!!!

the cable tidy looks sweet, i didn't even know you could get that stuff in that colour.

the clutch cylinder cable looks cool too.

hope those guys with the gear shifter company deliver what they said they would.

yes, yes YEEEEEEES

now thats an update havnt had one like that in a while

whats the deal with that neon coloured green think. is it just like a wire cover? looks awesome whatever it is

nice work anway jase this thing is really getting closer and closer to completion every update :p

Thanks Guys :p

I really hope the control cable company comes through! I think they know what i want now so fingers crossed, going to chase them up on monday to keep them in line!

@ Steve, the braided covering is a plastic braid wire covering. Think it will not be good around high heat area's but looks awsome! Im using it to cover any wires that are on show and hopefully help protect them also!

Don't worry, more updates will be coming next week :D

:) Thanks Socks! i try.........

Jeroen, i got the wire covering from 'chilled PC'. Do a google search and you will find them, only problem is they only do up to 10mm in size. If your just after black colour then they will sell larger sizes on other sites, i believe 'Car builder Solutions' sell the stuff :p

*** Update ***

Been getting my ass in gear :D Yep thats right the gear cables have arrived! Finally!!!!!!!!

Had a call from them on Thursday to say that the gear cables are made and ready for shipping. This has taken them about 4 weeks to get to this point. I have dealt with some stupid companies before but these guys really took the piss! Their ebay add states 'Quick turnaround, shipped within 24 hours'. yeah right! When i spoke to them over the phone they said that they where really sorry for the delay and hopefully next time they will be quicker, to which i replied with 'Hopefully there won't be a next time!'. The price also hadn't changed and was still £205.85 for the 2 cables. I expressed my anger but they said thats the price! Anyway, the good news is that they used a decent courier and by 8:00am the following day i had the cables. They do look rather good and the fittings they have used are good quality as well. They couldn't match the existing cables exactly so i knew there would be some modifying involved.

The cables are fully adjustable which is great, so even if my measurements where out i can still get them too work.

The cables..........

DSC01707.jpg

Shifter end......

DSC01705.jpg

Gearbox end.......

DSC01706.jpg

I had a little look around the workshop and managed to find some large washers that could be adapted and will work out. I have drilled 2 holes in each one so that the bracket bolts to the washer flat. The washers will then get welded to the housing on the back off the shifter and on the gearbox, and the cables will simply bolt in place.

modified washers.......

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

I have put a slot into the gearbox ones so the cable can easily be removed if needed.

Then today i got up to JDM and got the cables test fitted.........

Shifter side, you can see where the washers need to be welded to.......

DSC01710.jpg

Gearbox side, same again, the washers get welded to the bracket.....

DSC01711.jpg

bending around the engine.....

DSC01712.jpg

next to fuel cell....

DSC01713.jpg

I had a little test with the gearchange cables and it looks like they will work ok, just need to align them properly and weld the brackets.

I didn't really do much else while i was up there today, im just not in the right frame of mind at the moment and need to just chill out a bit. Have had alot of sideline projects on the go at the moment and i need to get them sorted before i can really crack down on this. I did however book the final parts of the work in with James. The rear suspension is booked in for the 8th November and the engine wiring is getting sorted on the 18 and 19th of November. The Demon will then get moved to my work on Saturday 20th November and i can crack on with the work! Getting all this work done this month means i am going to be pretty broke for a while but i need to get this thing moved so i can crack on!

On another side note i bought a few other things these last few weeks. Got some helmet tint films that can be cut to size and simple clip inside your helmet to help on those really sunny days. I bought them as im going to a fancy dress party (no theme) tonight and they are part of my costume but they look really good and aparently are road legal so may leave them in. They work really well, and although nobody can see into the helmet the visability out is really good.

Now who can guess who i am going as to this party? :)

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

Thats it for now, no real updates now for a few weeks but then its all go...........whoop whoop.

Bet the shifting is gonna feel tight :D

And I'd love to dress up as the stig tonight but how the hell would you get a drink at the bar without taking your helmet off and giving the game away? :D:)

Bet the shifting is gonna feel tight B)

And I'd love to dress up as the stig tonight but how the hell would you get a drink at the bar without taking your helmet off and giving the game away? :D:)

Tight is right! :D

Its only at a mates house, im sure tomorrow my facebook page will contain lots of pics of the stig grabbing tits and ass and generally acting a fool B)

Some say the stig is a right party animal and after to double vodka's he's anyones

All we know is to look on Jason's FaceBook tomorrow!!! :D

Going to get myself in trouble i think, unless nobody actually realises its me, which they will do as they know i already have the helmet :)

Wonder if the misses fancies a night with the stig........... :DB)

*** Little Update ***

Right well its been a relatively slow week in terms of actual work on the buggy. I haven't realy done much to be honest but i have managed to source a few parts.

Im working at sourcing the last few parts that i need for the electrical system thats getting done on the 18/19th of this month. This will see the engine able to start via the key and the engine loom should all be built. Won't be fully wrapped though as i still need to sort the wiring for the lights, indicators etc which will be done after it gets moved. I will be up there next weekend to begin the wiring and get a few things mounted ready for the hard graft a few days later.

This arrived this week though, loads of heatshrink (some of it glue lined) and relay/fuse holders. These are brilliant liitle things. I need a few relays and fuses for the engine loom so rather than buy a large relay/fuse box these can be used. Each one has space for a single relay and 3 fuses and they simply clip together, so 3 of them clipped together gives 3 relays and 9 fuses. This will all be mounted alongside the ECU and mounted inside a watertight compartment at the rear.

DSC01734.jpg

Thats pretty much everything i need now, just a few more wires, connectors and i should be ready :)

After sitting at the workshop computer looking at a few things on ebay i happened to glance up and look out the window and noticed one of the staff arrive on a scooter thing. Now i don't like scooters but my god it had some nice indicators. I had a quick chat with the guy and got the model/reg etc and got down to the dealer to order some indicators up for the buggy. They are taken off of a 'sym' scooter, found a local dealer to me and got the parts on order. I have been looking at front indicators for ages and wanted something that wasn't too small but looked pretty decent. Aiming to fix these to the front nosecone when i get round to making it. They where not cheap, but they will go really well with the small headlights im planning on getting as they are similar design.

DSC01731.jpg

just need some silver/orange bulbs to finish them off, job to do later me thinks......

DSC01733.jpg

Well thats been it for this week, not really much of an update i know but like to keep this thread regular.

The Buggy is now booked in on monday all day to have the suspension done and fingers crossed should see this finished :(

More updates next weekend.........

Jason :)

ace

cannot wait to see some life in her. started up by a key sounds good to me

any rough predictions of when shes going to be ready to drive away?

I reckon i will be driving it up and down the private road at work in around January time, and hopefully ready for IVA test in June/July but i have been wrong before :) I originally had planned on having this road legal at the beginning of this year, boy was i wrong........... :)

yeh i know lol but better to take 2 years and have it perfect than 1 year and have problems

cant wait for this to be road legal

deffo some track action in the future yeah?

Oh hell yeah! Will be on track loads :)

Looking good Jase!

Did you get my PM RE the earthing kit parts? :)

Thanks dude. Sorry dude forgot to get back to you about that :) Think i may have to leave the earthing kit for the moment as i don't know exactly what im going to need. Might be easier just sorting out the earth leads when i have done them and get the better version later. Probably miss out on the group buy though :(