My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys, well I got the inlet mani and all the crap in the way back off so I could sort the coolant leak. With that sorted and the battery charged I managed to start the car... just, for all of a few seconds before it stalled, then the battery didn't have enough charge to start it again.

I'm leaving the battery to charge overnight and hopefully it will run ok tomorow although I'm slightly worried there's something amiss since it didn't want to even idle. I still need to fit the passenger side cv boots and put the brakes all back together then it will be ready to run....

Yeee ha its alive!!!!!!

Well I've had fun today! :( With the battery charged up i tried starting it again and it still wouldn't turn over, I changed the plugs then it turned over briefly but died straight away, then I noticed a coolant leak.... from the exhaust mani. B)

I'd properly flooded the engine.... becuase I'man idiot and managed to get two of the water hoses on the inlet mani the wrong way round when I sorted the leak yesterday, hence water was being pushed into the cylinders!

So I swapped the hoses around to the right way and witha bit of a cough and splutter the car finally started, its runing smoothly albeit very smokey!

I need to change the oil now after my water injection mistake and still need to do a couple of cv boots then it will be ready to go back on the road. I'm a bit happier now partly down to all the exhaust gas I've inhaled. ;) :(:(

Cheers guys, its an easy mistake to make, I'd even told my mate about before it and still managed to do it. Lesson learnt to double check everything! :(

However once the smoke cleared the engine was running really smooth, I should have it back on the road tomorrow, then have an mot to pass on thursday.... :(

Well I got the car out for its (very short) maiden voyage tonight. First thoughts - the engine runs really smoothly, the brakes really need bled, the clutch really needs bled and the clutch is quite aggressive, it just judders trying to pull off slowly. It also seems reluctant to go into gear sometimes but I hope that will go once the clutch is bled. :(

The car started to smoke quite a bit once upto temperature though, which I think is still down to there being coolant in the oil (due to me getting the hoses on the throttle body the wrong way round when trying to start the car and spraying coolant into the cylinders :D ) so I need to change that again then hopefully the smoke will go. Also there is a slight oil leak but I think its just from the sump sealant so will get that resealed.

I'll need to get the clutch and brakes bled before tomorrow as the car's getting mot'd in the morning which I'm not too confident about....

Amazingly the car passed its mot today, just a few advisories on the brake lines and rear discs, despite the fact it was leaking oil, coolant and petrol this morning before the mot!. :(

I sorted the coolant and fuel leak however the oil leak is now quite bad but I still think its just the sump needing resealed. The smoking has all stopped though and the oil is almost clear of the coolant but it'll get another change when the sump is re-sealed.

I'll probably put the car back on the rolling road next week too and check the fuelling again aswell as getting another power figure to make sure all is ok...

Did you put the cat back on for the MOT or is that a stooopid question? :(

Not a stupid question, no I didn't I had it in the car just incase though. I just told the tester since its an import it just requires a non cat test which he did and it passed no problem. :D

A little update for today, I thought I'd better give the car a bit of a wash since its running again and since its not been washed in 6 months! B) Just as I'd finished washing it a courier arrived witha nice item.... my new glanza s bonnet, thankfully it didn't get bent (too badly) enroute either. :) So I fitted that quickly along with some bonnet raisers from carter to help with the cooling.

Thanks to Akki for it and Idrees for spraying it:

CIMG9505.jpg

CIMG9499.jpg

CIMG9502.jpg

Also a bit of a spot the difference on the rear, anyone guess what it is?:

CIMG9504.jpg