My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

Since my old engine expired with me still not knowing the exact cause, I thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the new engine's vital statistics.

So around the time the new engine was being fitted I bought a lovely set of defi gauges off the yahoo auctions (thanks to Rick) and they finally arrived (not thanks to royal fail) , they're Defi Din Gauges which display the water temp, oil temp and oil pressure whilst fitting neatly above the single din stereo, they also match the defi boost gauge I already have.....

CIMG9607.jpg

CIMG9614.jpg

CIMG9626.jpg

CIMG9620.jpg

CIMG9629.jpg

The oil temp and pressure sensors aren't fitted yet hence the strange readings in the last pic.

My interior is now pretty much finished and how I want it to be, bar the addition of a matching Defi EGT gauge which will be added later. So next I'll be tidying up the engine bay a little more and sorting the handling further.... once I 've bought a new battery that is, since the addition of the new gauges seems to have killed off the old one!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Si, I am actually that fussy that I wanted the lights to match, glad you noticed!

My main criteria when buying that stereo was that it had to light up green as I'd planned on getting the defo din gauge for a while now!

Oh and Defi's FTW!!! :huh:

I'll head back to crail once the weathers better, I've been there once but when the car still had an exedy 35% uprated clutch and it just slipped and managed an awesome 16.1 pass!

Knockhill will be my track of choice once the cars ready for it, I've driven round there before (at an experience day) and its a good track, challenging but fun.

I received my parts from the whiteline gb courtesy of Dave B and thought I'd waste no time in getting my rear arb fitted, I opted for the non-adjustable model as I'm doubtful I'd make full use of the adjustable one.

It should have been easy to fit but having a crap drill hindered me and finding the exhaust hanger bracket right where I wanted to drill through the chassis made it even worse and quite a pain in the arse, however its now fitted...

CIMG9680.jpg

CIMG9681.jpg

CIMG9683.jpg

Is it worth it, simply yes. This is probably the best handling mod I've done to the car, it gives you much more feel through the corners and you can really feel the back end helping the car round the corner rather than just hopping about. It gives a strange illusion of a lack of speed through the corners as the car is so settled compared to normal, it really was what my car had been missing in the handling department.

Onto the bling, after fitting my gauges the car had been refusing to start a few times, I thought the battery was dying but upon closer inspection it was just the terminal clamp being loose and ince it was seized solid a new one was needed.

So I thought I may aswell add an earting kit at the same time from groundingkits.co.uk since this also replaces the clamp and doesn't look like a spider web under the bonnet...

CIMG9684.jpg

If you're really bored you can try and spot all five earth cables in this picture :p :

CIMG9686.jpg

yea was a bit of a pain drilling through the hardest component on the car, totally worth it tho

looks good too

nice work on the spider web too mate

Yeah it was ,its the fact the exhaust hanger bracket was right in the way, I had to grind a bit of that out of the way to get the bolt through, but as you say totally worth it. Also I said its not a spider web, its not that messy. :p

All i can say is wow mate, a lot of time & money has gone into this.

Cheers mate, definately a bit too much of both! :p:p