Think I may have found somewhere to keep it, going to see if the place is big enough tomorrow, if it is then I'll start work with the interior.

The plan so far if I get enough money as it goes along is:

First strip out the interior, get out all the dampness (there's a leak somewhere), then dye the carpet red or just get some red carpet made, black everything that's grey i.e. the parcel shelf, give it all a good clean, then put it back together with some good condition OEM seats as mine are ripped.

Then I'll do the chassis, clean up any rust, fit polybushes, maybe coilovers if I can afford it, MG ZS front brake conversion (282mm as opposed to standard 262mm and it's a direct bolt on), then waxoil it. Aswell as painting the brake calipers red and generally tidying up the body.

Then the engine bay, give it all a good clean, it's not long been serviced so shouldn't need much doing, make up a decent cold air feed, maybe change the exhaust manifold (again that's down to money).

And lastly give it a good clean and polish, then straight down the garage to have the aircon regassed and wheel alignment done.

Well that's it, nothing too extravagant, nothing serious, pretty much a standard car with chassis improvements and breathing mods really. I expect the polybushes will be the biggest job as they are supposedly awkward, but 6 months should be plenty of time to get it all done, it's just down to money wether I get the car to how I want it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like it. :thumbsup: Not for sale yet though, want to enjoy it for a year or two first once I've finally got it on the road.

Work should be started in a week or two, going to buy a couple of things to bring the interior up to scratch, replace the ripped seat with a good condition one, and replace the cheapo steering wheel with one of these OMP dished wheels:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...2_2925183_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...3_1505694_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very small update nothing good yet, but might aswell.

Finally started work on this, didn't get many pics as the fucking camera battery ran out!

19648_249296481267_605306267_3897496_5550883_n.jpg

major parts stripped out

19648_249296491267_605306267_3897497_8133509_n.jpg

still a bit left to strip

something's missing here:

19648_249296456267_605306267_3897494_3661944_n.jpg

me being an idiot. :)

Cheers mate, it's a nice car but 18 years and 9 previous owners has given it a few little niggles, which as you can see from the stripped interior I'm sorting out. :)

Ordering an OMP dished steering wheel soon to replace the ebay shit that's in there now.

Just need to sort the wiring out, give everything a good clean, and find some seats that aren't ripped.

Cheers mate, it's a nice car but 18 years and 9 previous owners has given it a few little niggles, which as you can see from the stripped interior I'm sorting out. :p

Ordering an OMP dished steering wheel soon to replace the ebay shit that's in there now.

Just need to sort the wiring out, give everything a good clean, and find some seats that aren't ripped.

no car would be perfect at 18 years! not unless its been wrapped in bubble wrap!

and all those little niggles just add personality and give you something to do! thats where the fun is :)

once you get the interior sorted get some piccies up mate! i think its gonna look sick! :o

Ste if you need any help or advice mate drop me a message and ill do my best to help in any way i can :thumbsup:

Looks nice mate. :D

The leak will be sun roof, rear lights, boot surround or possibly windscreen surround mate..........f*cking nightmare. All CRX's leak, or 90% do any way.

Drop me a line when you've figured out where its coming from and ill give some advice on how to sort it. Their easy enough to be honest.

..........mine used to leak like a sive haha.

Seats wise..........buy mine if you want, their the late spec red stripe/lettering ones, found in 16v's and ive seen import's with them too. MINT condition, not a mark on them. Worth a fortune in this condition really wont ask mega money for them though.

I also may have a few bits and peices that will be coming off mine ready for the big build you may be tempted in, not sure whats happening yet.

Ive also got red painted front calipers as well mate if your interested?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok insurance wise on CRX's......basically if your under 21 your more or less going to get shafted on insurance, their normally silly quotes way above £1600+ normally around £1,800-£2,500 or so for insurance, and thats just TPFT.

I was VERY lucky as i already had insurance on my Starlet GT and i was able to swap it over to my CRX, after that they refused to do it for a mate of mine who tried with the same company and told him it was a one-off when they did it for me that it wont be done again due to the rules. At first they wernt prepaired to insure me on it, but after we spoke to the insurance company at length for hours and a fair few phone calls to sort it out they agreed to insure it for me and keep it on my data-base as i told them it would be off the road eventually for a year or more. Im 20 with 2 years ncb. So i guess im pretty lucky really. I pay roughly around £700 TPFT. But im now insured on my Vectra SRi for £600 odd with the CRX saved on the system if i want to do a quick transfer.

Your best bet will be Adrian Flux or somone similar. It wont be cheap though i doubt :D

Cheers for the comments :thumbsup:

@ Rhys - I'll PM you about those seats.

@ Bean - Insurance has changed a fair bit since 4 years ago - the cheapest quote I got was £3000!

Just ordered an OMP dished steering wheel. :D

Will reply asap mate.

Im going to give another word of warning now...........(sorry to p*ss in peoples chips)

If its a Suede OMP deep dish wheel uve ordered....e.g. OMP Corsica.....they wear VERY badly within a few months mate :thumbsup:

There are Nardi dished wheels on ebay (non suede) selling at a good price last time i checked. They wear much better.

I was so appauled by the wear rate on mine that i was going to complain but didnt in the end.

Oh fluck........thats not good for sure :D

Its looking real nice now mate fair play!

Im going to probably keep mine for track/hill climb as im dreading using it on the road as im scared to death of somone smashing into it once its built up.

Thinking of getting a 1.9 Pug 205 GTi for blasting about as i think my mrs maybe borrowing my vectra once she passes her test. :thumbsup:

CRX's are just the best though. plain and simple.

Got a few little jobs done today, got rid of some excess wire which the previous owners kindly left me. :lol:

I would love to meet the people who did the wiring in this car. ;)

And whoever fitted the Clifford alarm is the cable tie bodge job master.

Other than that I've got most of the water out, still need to find and fix the leaks though.

And then sort out the sunroof and finish off the wiring.

After that the interior can be cleaned and put back in with some new seats and steering wheel. :o

Not really an update but posting anyway, did a couple more jobs, tucked up all the wiring for the alarm inside the car, whoever fitted it was a lazy bastard.

Thought I'd take a pic of the engine bay aswell, it's filthy though, needs a really good clean:

19648_261021261267_605306267_3946242_1438001_n.jpg

Just wanting my steering wheel to arrive and to get some seats sorted, getting bored of the interior now want to get onto the oily bits. :wub:

No more pictures yet but should get some tomorrow, I've now found out where the leaks are coming from so got those to sort out aswell as replacing the sunroof rack because my sunroof doesn't open properly.

I also removed the throttle body yesterday, sprayed a load of carb cleaner on it today, going to give it a good clean tomorrow, here's a quick pic of it but you can see what 160k miles worth of shit looks like (oil from the crankcase breather pipe):

69829376.jpg

It's so caked up in shit that it actually feels "sticky" when you first try to open the butterfly valve, I'll post another pic up when I've cleaned it.

I'm also going to give the inlet manifold a clean because that's looking pretty mucky aswell.

Will have another update tomorrow.