★Amjad's GT Advance ッ★ December updates!

Nice too see an update Amjad :) I found I lost a lot of body roll after removing front upper strut brace, car felt a lot more balanced( mine was never intended for track though)

Gutted I sold that turbo now :( glad it went to a good home tho, be nice to watch her tearing up the track again this year, you on for jf1?

James

Thanks James! Really? I've only ever removed my upper brace on the NA after having it fitted, and steering didn't feel as nice!

I'm grateful you had it, old one was shockingly bad! Can't make JF1 due to uni, might come to JF2 but there's no open pitlane time :(

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Update*

Thanks again to Nick, got the car back after the changes listed above and the car feels a million times better! Lightweight flywheel has completely transformed the power delivery, the car does not stop pulling even on a teeny CT9b!

Got a fresh alignment with neutral toe and R camber -1.4 L camber -1.5 and it feels amazing, so happy on turn in. Even for people not running coilovers I would recommend getting some camber bolts because of the impact it makes!

I did however have a few niggles that have decided to rear their ugly head in the month the car turns 20! Spark plug oil seal and map sensor problem gave a weird misfire/engine turning off problem. Now sorted though thanks to Iddy for the parts once again!

Had a chance to give the car a hand application of Black Hole and 2 layers of the legendary Fusso wax, I'll let the pics do the talking (no editing bar the plate)IMG_20150314_151954_zpstvcea2e2.jpg

IMG_20150310_140258_zpsi1atzboz.jpg

And a pic pulling onto the drive, stiff!

IMG_20150313_100930_zpsxwngpc43.jpg

Lastly, fitted my adjustable RARB to replace my fixed one (sorry no pic)

With the setting on hard it feels amazing. Might be a bit too stiff for most EPs, but running 24mm FARB & quite aggressive camber out back I have a lot more grip so it now feels well balanced! If anyone is interested in the Whiteline fixed RARB gimme a shout!

Amjad

• 3 months later...

*Update*

Another update after a long interval, but guess it doesn't matter as the thread looks like a ghost town anyway :lol:

So starting from where I left off, here's a pic of the seals I got from Iddy & co

20150319_134619_zpspgzmwqx4.jpg

Also put in some standard copper NGK plugs while I was there

Soon after, the car decided to throw a little tantrum and a few oil seals and parts that were contaminated needed replacing. So ordered the following parts and sent the car up to Grant who did a sterling job as usual! Seals, distributor, rotor arm were Toyota items and others Blueprint

-Camshaft oil seal

-Dizzy oil seal

-All AUX belts

-Timing belt kit

-Distributor

-Rotor arm

-Oil cooler piping and Mocal Thermostat for core to be finally hooked up

-One ball joint that was cracking

-Both outer CV boots

This was the state of the dizzy/rotor

PhotoGrid_1432814750899_zpsg2fatety.jpg

I also asked him to investigate the knocks I was getting on hard turns, which turned out to be the ALK rubbing against my 24mm FARB. It's now been sorted with some manipulation and the addition of some spacers, but you can see the areas it was catching here...

20150705_175339_zpswqgs0bki.jpg

20150705_175349_zps4pukkm57.jpg

Now sorted with spacers to match the ALK and longer bolts

20150705_180249_zpsnrlm1ext.jpg

Grant also noticed that the arch bush on the driver side of the FARB was worn, so I've ordered a set of Superpro replacements from Iddy

Got the car back and as you can imagine drove a million times better! Getting much better economy and it actually has some give low down. Ordered a set of BC C-spanners as the Meister ones are pants and bent easily. Gonna be adjusting my preload settings as the car isn't riding how it should do.

20150522_164212_zpsgwaxoplx.jpg

Noticed my brakes weren't quite biting as well as they used to even after swapping out fluid (which helped massively, but still). And here's what I found on inspection of the pads I ran on track when the fluid boiled, compared to some spare pads I had in the garage (spares are the ones with the groove).

20150409_152149_zpsianuapvc.jpg

20150409_152158_zpszj2gghx1.jpg

Swapped the spare pads in and they improved things a lot. However due to the oil leaks I had I believe these may have been contaminated too (I'll mention their replacements later)

I've been using the car a bit more this year, especially on longer journeys so the noise was doing my head in. Fitted my silencer back in and though I miss the really loud cracks and bangs, I'm glad it's back in. Really wanna complete my RW-Developments system with a nice angled back box though

20150329_181740_zps8uq0fayv.jpg

As some of you know, I've changed up my tyres (2 of them at least) to Nankang NS-2Rs in the street compound (180). Really impressed by these, I only had them on the front for a day or two and swapped them to the back because I want to use up the remaining pair of Rainsports first and car will need an alignment after preload adjustment anyways.

But initial impressions:

-Grip is excellent

-Sidewall is so stiff! Doesn't feel like it wants to fall over on to the sidewall in corners

-Steering feel is way better

-Front end felt way pointier and direct

20150427_165730_zpsi60clbck.jpg

For the money I think they are the best choice you can currently get! It was my Birthday a few weeks ago, and I got these :D

20150614_132201_zpsoyf8ypxt.jpg

20150614_123843_zpsm26qnokf.jpg

So next outing I'll have a full set of proper tyres and pads :)

Almost done now, had Grant inspect the car and noted a few things:

-Rad pipe weeping

-Gearbox side mount very worn

-Gearbox mount cracking

So I'll be ordering a pair of front JD tuning poly mounts and a rear Polyflex mount to replace that lot. I leave you with some pics of I took a short while ago!

IMG_20150708_141225_zpsfleutyeq.jpg

20150409_182528_zpspn0nqtdd.jpg

20150409_182549_zpsoctcoh7p.jpg

Amjad

Edited by Amjad

Drove like a dog! lol

Basically a few months ago I lowered it the shortcut way, not realising I'd changed preload so much. So I'll be loosening it off and setting it to how it was when I bought the coilovers

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome Amjad, I wish my black cars were so sparkling :(

Thanks bro! I think it's deceptively photogenic, though Blackhole an Fusso are amazing products on dark colours!

perfect misfire situation right there :)

Just slightly :lol:

Glad she's slowly getting back to her old self!

Can't wait to see it next month. :)

Yeaaaah tracktime! (He says, car is clearly having other ideas lol)

Superb car.

Nice to see someone going for a sorted chassis and proper setup rather than power power forge engine blah blah.

Bet this would dominate on track.

That means a lot to me David, thanks man! The simpler builds don't seem to get a second glance nowadays but I know what I want from my car, power is overrated ^_^

Got a few updates to post when I get time! Both ups and downs as usual with old cars!

Amjad

• 1 month later...

*Post JF2 update*

So Japfest 2 was an eventful weekend! I'll get to that later, for now I'm just gonna go over what changed on the car recently.

So one thing I forgot to mention in my last update, was that car was serviced a little while back and I tried a new oil

IMG-20150602-WA0033_zpsmc2fctwl.jpeg

20150505_123607_zpsxbavh0at.jpg

New mounts

20150711_192744_zpsh2ecpzql.jpg

Old mounts weren't in the best condition

20150712_144321_zpsbhu7d5gc.jpg

Going in

20150712_134945_zpsqzoqpaoz.jpg

20150712_150835_zpsvw1b2zy1.jpg

Verdict on the JD Tuning mounts, great! I later had Grant fit in the powerflex rear LSD mount (sorry no pics currently)

The vibration is only at certain rpm when pulling away, and not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I don't know what a set of 3 yellow polyflex would be like though!

Thanks to Enots for helping me with the front two mounts, love his GT

20150712_131541_zpsbwb9qqks.jpg

20150712_131554_zpsrgifobgy.jpg

Next job was to fix my leaky rad, got a new one and went from dual to triple core. Old one was tatty as hell and the great chunk of quiksteel didn't fix it lol

IMG-20150728-WA0047_zpsjtyo3saw.jpg

IMG-20150728-WA0048_zpsvfapisl0.jpg

Also chucked in some new Toyota Red Coolant (wheels were being detailed as it arrived haha)

DSC_0216_zpsrdwcvdwc.jpg

Got a new DAB HU

IMG-20150729-WA0011_zpsfulzkjgg.jpg

And for some less exciting bits, new detailing stuff (all great products) and wipers

IMG-20150730-WA0007_zps7p66ynot.jpg

Yep the old ones needed replacing!

IMG-20150730-WA0006_zpsq7misriz.jpg

Standard bonnet up bumper off shot

IMG-20150728-WA0046_zpsytes4ffe.jpg

Now that brings me to a week before Japfest! Had a suspension noise problem on hard cornering that was really bugging me, and there was no way I was tracking like that. Local mechanics were stumped/didn't really care to look into it so I drove it back down to Grant to take a look into. As usual he sorted the car and it came back a lot healthier than it went to him, so big thanks again! Here's the jobs that were tackled:

-Suspension noise solved (was brake line bracket on coilover hitting the hard line!)

-Suspension preloads corrected and ride height set up for functional use with rake

-Rear camber taken from -2 to -1

-Bonnet catch support repaired

-Powerflex rear gbox LSD mount fitted

-Fresh alignment (-1.4/-1 camber F/R)

Not really any pics to show but here's one at the unit with the beast '70!

IMG_20150813_193623_zpsumbycsll.jpg

Oh and I renewed my tax

IMG-20150817-WA0018_zpsgq3uozbs.jpg

So that brings me to Japfest 2...On the Saturday I had some last minute prep as you do. Having run in the Yellowstuff pads they were working well, hoewever I noticed some spongeyness which I presume was down to oil on the disc>pads (long story). We took the pads out and cleaned them up with sandpaper and brake cleaner until they looked good visually. Popped them back in and they were a lot better. Still not 100% as you needed to use more pedal force than you would think for a certain braking power, but fine for track or so we thought. That night later we took the car for a hard run to see if everything was good for track, car ran well. Happy days.

Sunday morning, go to start the car aaand nothing! Ignition lights on dash cut out when flicking the key to start over. Checked over earths etc, visually everything was fine as were fuses. Jump start didn't work and neither did swapping in another good battery. Great an hour and a half later at 8:30am and we were still stuck in Leicester at a mate's. I put my own battery back and switched the car to ignition, I thought I'd take a chance and try bump starting it down the hill. Thanks God it did start! Now I just had to get it to the show where someone who is a bit more clued up could take a look! Got to the show grounds and I'm sure some of you saw me conked out on the grass verges next to the queues lol, yes the shed had cut out again!

Bump started it again and managed to be practically the last people to join on to the near ed of the UKSO stand. Now to figure out what was gong on! Many many many thanks to Dan507 and his gf for sticking around to help me out, Dan tugged at one of the main earths off the battery and discovered it has snapped under the sheath where it's crimped! Luckily still had my sub wiring in the car so jacked the earth from that and we hooked it back up, great success!

So then it was basically a mad rush to sort tyre pressures, attend briefing (yes guys, it was me that walked in late and almost got thrown out :lol:) hook the actuator circlip back on (we had been lowering the boost the night before), get hold of a helmet and get on track. Somehow we just about managed to jump at the back of the queue and got on track. Literally if we were any later we probably wouldn't have been allowed on as we'd have missed the sighting laps.

So Rockingham isn't as nice as Donington, the car felt really too bouncy but I think my front preload still needs to come down a bit. As everyone who was on session J knows, we barely got any laps in so it was pretty disappointing! To add to that, brake pedal went spongey coming off the track..great! Here's what the fluid looked like

DSC_0256_zpsba0mowwj.jpg

Suspicion was that there was still oil in the pads, hence requiring more braking force and cooking the fluid (ATE Typ200). Luckily I had a set of stock pads and a bottle of Motul RBF600. So pretty much as soon as we got off track I set about flushing the fluid and changing the pads. Got done by around 2:30/3pm and headed off the grounds to bed the pads in and grab a quick lunch. Sucked that I couldn't see any of the show but I really wanted to get the car back out on track again! Brakes felt a lot better and I managed to buy a session for 16:20 and got out again! This time it went a lot better, was more familiar with the track and was getting some good laps in, but just as I'm getting in the flow, another problem! Scooby sound from engine (f***!)

Pulled into pits and couldn't see any smoke or any damage to engine. Luckily it was only the #1 HT lead that popped off the dizzy! The boot on it had split and the clip wasn't very secure. Managed to bodge it to get home but it means I missed out another 10 minutes of track! Alas, I got some good laps in and feels like I actually made use of the car.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me over the weekend, it was nice to catch up with a few of you and put more faces to names. I shall leave you with some photos and a clip of me on track! (Thanks to Roj, Andy, Mark, Rob and Luke for the footage)

Stand_zps8c61sjoh.jpg

JF3_zps67yrilph.jpg

IMG-20150823-WA0003_zpstwtoxfot.jpg

IMG-20150823-WA0002_zpskftggjms.jpg

IMG-20150820-WA0004_zpsvskt6to2.jpg

JF1_zps5zaplmsp.jpg

JF2_zps90u339ke.jpg

JF7_zpspf7elrgm.jpg

JF6_zpsmvd3xw2p.jpg

IMG-20150816-WA0006_zpso7uslaja.jpg

IMG-20150816-WA0009_zps8nn8s5ql.jpg

IMG-20150816-WA0008_zpse0rj9pyq.jpg

IMG-20150816-WA0010_zpsnqu6mrq7.jpg

IMG-20150817-WA0007_zps336eicui.jpg

IMG-20150817-WA0008_zpsvyqbi3j3.jpg

IMG-20150817-WA0010_zpsqsrt7vag.jpg

IMG-20150817-WA0016_zpszpz91jgk.jpg

IMG-20150817-WA0017_zpsaetp5duv.jpg

IMG-20150818-WA0003_zpslo8sa2tc.jpg#IMG-20150818-WA0004_zpsgz0xbsun.jpg

IMG-20150818-WA0005_zpscl3lestw.jpg#IMG-20150818-WA0006_zps2gsgfdj0.jpg

11866306_10155979582145711_1522372979477

11885335_10155979582925711_6403515437095

And my favourite pics of the day

11895231_1016078298427042_10623105003103

Tripod_zpsjmzdmurf.jpg

Video clip by @LukeSR, doesn't sound half bad for CT9 I/WG ^_^

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWT61JJ-3HA

Amjad

Yes then Amjdad! Roj's MB6 is looking lush in the pictures man, stop photobombing him! Nice to catch up with you again, and you to catch up with me and pull a length on Gran Turismo A6! You were young when I first saw you..

Glad to see you got a majority of the work sorted, love this little thing it soldiers on!

• 2 weeks later...

So glad you (and me!) made it on track in the end. :)

Yes then Amjdad! Roj's MB6 is looking lush in the pictures man, stop photobombing him! Nice to catch up with you again, and you to catch up with me and pull a length on Gran Turismo A6! You were young when I first saw you..

Glad to see you got a majority of the work sorted, love this little thing it soldiers on!

Was worth all the head ache! Nice one lads. The EP3 race was my favourite part of the weekend :D

i reconised the car but just couldnt place the name at all ha! i was gonna swing over in my bm when i seen you pulled over at the side on the way in but with no tools didnt really know what i could do ha

Think I remember a BMW slowing down haha. No worries man!

Haha I love the ukdm hates you stuff XD

Your gt looks good as always.

Should have come to japfest 2 but couldn't afford it.

Thanks man! Saw a Silver NA leaving the site whilst I was sorting pressures and thought it might have been you

no worrys mate! glad you got it sorted.

:thumbsup:

So...new exhaust Sunday hopefully! £110 heatwrapped Japspeed system up for grabs, holla!

Amjad

• 4 weeks later...

*Mini update*

I've got a couple of things so post but I'll keep this short and sweet. Got a new shifter from the states, was impressed at how fast it arrived and the quality of the item. Brushed stainless steel, weighs approx 430g compared to the 75g stock shifter!

Shifts sooo much nicer, made a big difference. Also including a video below which will show the throw of my short shifter Grant made. I would like it shorter but it's a lot better than stock! Excuse the mess!

IMG-20151007-WA0001_zpsg9b94338.jpeg

IMG-20151007-WA0003_zpsiv8q3ib3.jpeg

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmDs8kzRW0

Amjad

Edited by Amjad

*Update*

Got this through the post today, Hypersport short shifter kit :)

DSC_0516_zpscntgofyx.jpg

And fitted

IMG-20151010-WA0021_zpsrdtobcim.jpeg

The shift is amazing now! It's well worth the money, I'd definitely recommend one overly the crazy priced in-car short shift kits!

So I'm running:

- G's Custom Garage.short shifter (in car)

- Hyper-sport short shifter (on gearbox)

- Weighted stainless steel shift knob (430g)

- ID Workz pillowball shifter bushings

Possibly the shortest throw on a Starlet save for a sequential/dog box?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_27mN8MCg

Amjad

Edited by Amjad

Yeah they were one of the best bang for buck mods I did! Along with this shifter. I don't think anyone does pillowball ones anymore but ID Workz does do solid ones I believe

Shifter is from Hyper-Sports