suspension handling for rough roads(discusion)

the roads in south lanarkshire where i stay are the worst in the uk fact, even after setting my suspension up on the softest setting its still way way too stiff and i cant cover ground quickly any more, the springrates that came with the coilovers are way way too stiff and a health hazard as i could be giving it twos,,,hit an undulation and bounce off the road

would raising the car do anything for ride quality?

so looking for the most decent on road set up not track set up for my v- totaly on a mission to make my ep handle in a fluid minted way,

was thinking about reverting back to a shox and spring combo from the likes of whiteline/koni

if someone could point me in the direction of a set of coilovers they use that arnt as stiff as mine id go for that.....

any views, help or recomendations would be greatly apreaceated,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think all coilys are going to be stiff Geo my friend,mine's on softest setting and its harsh on crap roads, but most of the time its fine. i think raising the ride height will maybe improve the ride quality because theres more space for the springs to bounce............ if thats true lol i made that up.

How about converting to normal lowering springs again or thats not an option?

ium not sure, they adjust from the bottom, im having a guess they are buddy clubs

- just chipped a chunky inches worth of paint off the front splitter five minuites ago by creeping onto apole. what a fuckin twat, pissed off at myself!!!!! well noticable now shes not mint anymore - is this the start of the down hill slope to a banger!!!!!

@shelly yea all the roads around here are shitty, so lowering springs and konis sounds about right, if your d2's are that stiff then theres no point going for another set.

I had GAB coilies on my GT,they were firm but not harsh at all. I think its more to do with the springs that are on the dampers,if you can find out what suspension you have it'll be possible to get softer springs for the dampers. Get the socket set out and have a looky. :)

I always said i would never go back to coilovers after the teins on the GT :p The civic came with tein adjustanle dampers and springs, lol ROCK SOLID, ive tryed adjusting them a bit but not noticed a diffrence, good for flingin about but high speed as you sayed is a danger :)

Its all trial and error mate :D

mine are the same, and are reallllly annoying me just now B)

Hey Geo -- As far as I'm aware springs for Coilovers are all the same diameter regardless of application... so you could try and get a softer spring rate, then match that rate by adjusting the dampers to suit.

The reason they are so harsh is due to the spring setting not really due to the rebound which is set by adjusting the shocker. You've probably set them out of sinc with the springs now by softening them.

geo - i'm looking to purchase some coilovers from japan at present, if there's any you're after then let me know because im sure if there's some softer ones on there (spring rate wise) then they'd be much more benefitial to you than to me (i'd be buying them to sell anyway).

There's loads of TRD coilovers on there, and now and again sets of cusco's etc pop up on there, if yours are buddyclubs then that explains why they're so firm, they're renowned to be horrifically stiff!

give me a pm or catch me on msn and we'll talk, it obviously needs sorting out so i'll do my best. does sound like it needs raising a little anyway doesnt it :)

this is why i have tanbe shocks and springs. :D

yes - and they're horrifically firm :D

also jay, i ask for only what they cost to purchase from the auction (including all shipping/customs fees etc), then just a small fee on top to cover my time/effort, prob around 10% or so, depends on the individual really :D

i think them kyb's have ended now but if you give me a shout via u2u/pm/email/msn then we can have a chat for sure mate.

oli will confirm the n/a on springs was a fucking nightmare, it was far too stiff, the tanbe's seem to be fairly stiff, but the ride comfort thru big holes is miles better than the pi's and the small bumps seem non existant.

The reason they are so harsh is due to the spring setting not really due to the rebound which is set by adjusting the shocker. You've probably set them out of sinc with the springs now by softening them.

im not toos ure what you mean there adrian, the shox dont adjust for bump and rebound, they are 12 point adjustable for dampning rate thats about it

geo - i'm looking to purchase some coilovers from japan at present, if there's any you're after then let me know because im sure if there's some softer ones on there (spring rate wise) then they'd be much more benefitial to you than to me (i'd be buying them to sell anyway).

There's loads of TRD coilovers on there, and now and again sets of cusco's etc pop up on there, if yours are buddyclubs then that explains why they're so firm, they're renowned to be horrifically stiff!

give me a pm or catch me on msn and we'll talk, it obviously needs sorting out so i'll do my best. does sound like it needs raising a little anyway doesnt it :D

thanx mate

trd ones along with buddy clubs are renouned for being too strong but once i find out the actual brand of coilovers i have (99% sure) then ill be looking into somehow replacing the springs with a softer springrate if posseble :D

I'm happily rolling stock in the daily driver for this very reason. Say what you want about the standard shocks and springs but they are there to do a specific job and they do it well.

The KYB Climbgears are a nice compromise but you'll pay big money for them.

i totaly know what your saying there jay and ive heard of kyb gr2's that were the predicesor to the climbgears i think

am running koni's and lowering springs, still a firm ride though, although not as harsh as coilys

will probably revert back to this set up if i have no joy with sourcing softer springs,

what lowering springs do you have on yours dub7

Coilovers are made for the track, you cant get around that.

However, if your car is really slammed to the ground then it will be VERY harsh. My softened up a lot when I raised it a bit.

Also, believe it or not, your tyre size has a dramatic effect on the ride quality. I use 195/55/R14 I believe, which is a lot better than the really thin 40/45 I think I used previsouly.

He is how low it was. Looked mint, but harsh and could not park in in multi story car parks.

DSCF1247.jpg