Heyy all, been on here for a few months now and thought I'd make my own build thread after seeing some awesome ones on here!

After owning several different cars over the past 18 months (Dirty diesel Pug, Classic Mini 1275, Land Rover Defender 90 to name a few) I had a go in my mates GT Turbo (BAZ2CRAZY)! Wow booost, I loved it, so the hunt began for a GT Turbo, which ended up being a hunt for a GlanzaV!

The Landy and my old Mini harhar.gif

179322_10150123027760943_557520942_82549

After having a look around at a few, I came across one that was local to me so thought I'd give it a shot.
So off I went one morning to have a look, got there to find he had added a few extras to what was in the advert! This included blue rad hoses, FMIC and a rear strut brace, Blue magnecore HT leads. Off we went for a drive and all was well! Went off for a chat with my mate and ended up going back to buy her (Bigggg smiles), not only that I thought I'd dropped on well with the added parts and still knocking him down a few notes!

I only have the one picture from when I first got it and here she is.. Any one know the car??

Spec when I got it:
Japspeed Cat Back system
Carbon Fibre Bonnet
15" Wheels (Not sure of the make?)
HKS Actuator
FMIC
Rear Strut Brace
Blue Hose Set
Magnecore HT Leads
Relocated Filter
Boost Gauge
Whitleline Panhard Rod

180595_10150126428425943_557520942_83024

My mate has got his own Dyno, so I popped down to see him to see what it was running (just out of curiosity); came out with 200n/m Torque and 161.8bhp cool.png

200489_10150161721650943_557520942_86783

First thing I did was get rid of the stickers, get the rear quarter sprayed because of laquer (sp) peal from the original 'Glanza V' stickers and to get rid of the gash rising sun paint work on the fuel cap. I also changed the amber corners to some clear ones and gave the wheels a lick of paint. I think it gave it a much cleaner look!

IMG_0123.jpg

On the strip! Pulled a 15sec dead, fairly happy with that taking into the mods and on cheap tyres!

strip.jpg

Next up on the list was some better rubber up front, decided to go for the Parada Spec 2's. Whilst letting my mate fit them, I got him to do the tracking for me too! Also a small update, de-wipered!

208413_10150260016418776_720553775_91635

215565_10150260015528776_720553775_91635

The Parada's made such a difference to the car.However, the discs and pads let it down, especially on the track at Japfest (Warped and shit pads); so next on the list was some 3G grooved and dimpled discs with EBC Red Stuff pads.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Small update again, but I got hold of some wind deflectors at a good price so bought them and fitted em!

IMG_0340.jpg

All was going well, untill.. 'Knock Knock Knock'..

Yep, bottom end was knocking, and bad at that! Got my mate to tow me home to call it a night. biggrin.png

03/06/2011

Got back from work the following day and set about getting the engine out, got as far as we could with out the engine crane. Took the sump off to find it had spun a shell on no.2

Think its time to go forged!

04/06/2011

So this is where we stand, engine out and not 100% sure where to go from here! We also found that my head has cracked, leaving the stud and a lump of the head to drop off when we took the mani off. More news I didn't want to hear!!

IMG_0569.jpg

Any recommendations on where to go from here? Would be appreciated. Forging it is high up on the list, but I think I might need a new crank too as it looks like it's gone too far to have ground? I'll post pics of the head tomorrow.

Cheeers, Jamie

Edited by Jamie1st
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice write up bud, looks much better. hope ya get the engine sorted asap B)

Cheers mate, Yeah me too! Dont think I'll be making the track at Japfest 2 now though :/

Jamie

Get the crank to a machine shop for a check worth it just in case, get some acl race bearings if you can,

Starbo looks good tho. Hope u get it sorted

Yeah, we're going to strip her and see what they say,

Cheers. Jamie

Bad news on the engine dude. hope you get it sorted asap :p Car is looking good! Crazy that your mate has a rolling road, save you some money haha

Cheers man.. Yeahh it's good, but he only does power runs. So cant have it set up on there B)

Jamie

Glanza looks awesome buddy! No doubt ill see it about sometime as your only from Leicester B)

Bad times on the engine though dude.

Yeah man! I'll drop you a PM when I'm back on the road.

Little update; Bought some Wiseco Pistons and Pauter Rods. So have no choice now but to go forged!!

Jamie

Glad you decided to rebuild and go forged mate :thumbsup:

Nice project looking forward to seeing some updates, shame you wont be on track with us or will it be ready for then?

Glad you decided to rebuild and go forged mate B)

Nice project looking forward to seeing some updates, shame you wont be on track with us or will it be ready for then?

Ill have to see how it goes, don't really want to take any short cuts with the build just for the sake of a day on the track!

Maybe though :thumbsup:

Jamie

Quick update; we've just finished stripping the engine. As we already knew, it had spun a shell on No.2, sending the crank in tomorrow and hopefully it can be ground! Luckily it hasnt caused any damage else where.

Q) What is the most you guys would have the crank re-ground to?

Q) Where to get ACL bearings from?

Also, upon stripping the engine we found that there was alot of sludge in the head. Would this be down to a breathing fault? Something I want to cure before I run a newly forged engine!

Cheers, Jamie

Right, been to the engineers today. My crank has gone too far, so it's a new crank needed!!

Also, had a nice parcel come through the post today:

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Thanks 00joeindastarb0 arrived sooner than expected!

Sending the block in tomorrow to be rebored and honed!

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Right, haven't updated on here for a while..

Well, over the past few weeks I have been gathering parts and spending all my money. So I'm skint.

As I said my crank was fuxked, so I bought a new one of a member on here (Can't remember the username lol), so off we set for a long drive to Kent!

Re-Ground crank to .25 mm with ACL Bearings and Thrust washers to suit.

PICT0179.jpg

In the mean time I had sent my block in for the following;

-Re-Bored to suit Wiseco 74.5mm Pistons

-Honed

-Skimmed

-Chemical Wash

When we had it back, we painted it up and now with the new crank, set about stating the build.

First in was the crank.

IMG_0798.jpg

Followed by the Balanced Pauter Rods and Wiseco 74.5mm pistons.

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0830-1.jpg

This is as far as we could as we were waiting for parts.

Then a delivery arrived for me when I got home from work ;)

IMG_0840.jpg

When taking the engine out, we found the head had cracked around one of the manifold studs. Sooo, yep the stud fell on the floor when we took the manifold off :/

On the positive side, I've bought a Ported and Polished head off of Steve GT!! Just got it back from the engineers today after having it skimmed, will post pictures when its all cleaned up and painted!

Jamie

the head u got is 1 of my stage 2 heads mate. The difference is bigger inlet ports match to the best flow for the valve size and valve guilds removed wer thy com out into the inlet ports the valve seats are also opened out by about .7mm to thr sealing edge. tryed to pm u back but it will not let me for som reason.

chris

Build is looking good mate ;)

If you want any awsome parts you know who to come see ;)

Cheers man,

I'll be buying some goodies no doubt!

the head u got is 1 of my stage 2 heads mate. The difference is bigger inlet ports match to the best flow for the valve size and valve guilds removed wer thy com out into the inlet ports the valve seats are also opened out by about .7mm to thr sealing edge. tryed to pm u back but it will not let me for som reason.

chris

Sweeeeeeet! Looking forwad to trying it out!

Jamie

Right, well I was hoping to have built the engine by now, but after finding a few seals etc I didnt have, I had to wait for them to come!

Here's how she stand;

Athena HG and Stage 2 Head fitted (Using ARP Head Bolts)

IMG_0909.jpg

Rocker Cover sprayed (Needs a respray in a different colour! - Sprayed it 'Red' came out orange)

IMG_0922.jpg

Sump nice and fresh!

IMG_0926.jpg

Just waiting now for a few valve shims to turn up as a few were slightly out. Then going to time it up on Saturday!

Red or Black for rocker cover?!

Just ordered an ACT 6 Paddle Clutch, with thanks to my mum and girlfriend for my birthday! (At least its something that will get used Hahaa)

Jamie

Jamie

mate, match your new inlet gasket with the inlet ports make sure u do not get any over lap at any point this will create a problem with air flow, and this is looking awsome u will lovethe head thy do av a nice kick.

chris

u can remove the cam follower and just file or tip the valve head to increase cam follower clearence, as the followers are not hyd saves pennys on shims.