Race-tech manifolds

He's very highly rated and his work looks awesome, if you are told a few have failed recently try asking Ricky how many he has made and how long he's been making them and then how many have failed out of that time I think you'll find everyone has a fail rate and his will be low.

its just luck of the draw i guess? similar to mild and stainless steel, everyone goes one about how much mild steel doesnt crack etc but mine has :) haha!

as you say, compare the amount of kits he has made to the amount that have cracked etc and i imagine the ration is very low, and as mentioned he does make a sexy looking manifold :p

Race-tech quality is really good, but WEPR are just as good imo and are cheaper.

My Race-tech screamer pipe cracked down the middle for some very strange reason, Ricky repaired it for free though. :p

I have a new WEPR kit on the way so we'll see how that performs. :)

Epic.... Nuff Said....

Anyone who's seen one of his kits in person will tell you the same!

I should have some figures sooN! :p

in thought you were gna say they were shite and to keep away :)

i saw a white glanza at japfest with a race-tech mani and from that moment on i knew it was for me :)

Race-tech quality is really good, but WEPR are just as good imo and are cheaper.

My Race-tech screamer pipe cracked down the middle for some very strange reason, Ricky repaired it for free though. :)

I have a new WEPR kit on the way so we'll see how that performs. :)

i did look at wepr, but they didnt do an equal length externally gated mani that i wanted :p

I had a racetech td04 kit on my starlet and never had a problem with it ! It had nothing but abuse and went through stupid amount of heat cycles andis still going to this day !

Like MattyD said though, yes a few have failed but compared to the amount he has made and the amount that he has had a problem with his failure rate will be very small. He does honour his guarentee though and even when guarentees out he is allways happy to help. When sparkies cracked it was over 3 year old IIRC but he still fixed it free of charge.

They are quality manifolds but as with any product you do get the ocasional faulty one. Thats why the guarentees there though aint it :p

Simply said, both fabricators produce very quality manifolds and both rightfully stand by their work.

This means you have a leg to stand on, if by chance a weld decides to blow or the mani cracks.

Both also have good communication. Sasha @wepr always answers pms and is very helpful. The same can be said for Ricky@racetech and being uk based you can pick up the phone and talk to him directly. This is based on my experience with both traders. If you have any preferences/requirements just ask, more advanced fabrication requirements will incur extra cost however such as advanced mani designs.

Both also offer excellent group buys and Sasha really rolls the boat out when he does seasonal specials on tgtt and the prices would astound you.

Both can also possibly have a little waiting time if buying directly from them i.e not 2nd hand.

WEPR is based in Sri Lanka but will send out your kit asap if it is in stock. Even though sent from an international location, the delivery time is very good.

They have been in the game a good while and always strive for customer satisfaction so no worries there.

Racetech although uk based always seem to have a busy workload so it can take a bit more time to receive your order if it is not directly in stock as most items are made to order which is understandable. They can be quite expensive if you require a different design to what they normally offer.

Both traders are very active so this is good sign that the scene is not stagnant and you are always going to get fresh new products, revisions and designs.

I have recently purchased and had fitted a barely used 2nd hand Race-tech TD04 kit and am very happy with it so far.

There was a small bead of weld not as thick as the others on the downpipe and racetech honoured and fixed it in a timely fashion.

I will be purchasing a new exhaust system once they are open again (closed til Oct 5th)

Am also running a WEPR fmic now converted for TD04 and it is very high quality. Bought it in the last Christmas special along with a CT9 mild steel mani (I never used and sold to fund something else)

With this setup I get the best of both worlds.

I will always buy the best I can afford for the EP be it new or used. I would highly recommend both brands but be sure of exactly what you want to best suit your budget and your application and if not sure just simply contact them directly.

The WEPR ct9 mild steel mani would be more value for money (under £200) in my opinion but the racetech ct9 mani (£320) is not commonly used (from what I've seen) but it looks a piece of art.

Always use genuine gaskets when possible and always get a decent state of tune/engine management to prevent failures of any kind be it manifolds or engines.

The most logical approach (unless you defy logic :p) would be to port the standard mani to run the CT9@1 - 1.1 bar (mapped with a decent setup) and put the money towards your next turbo upgrade.

Extra info for future use:

WEPR downpipes are usually made to suit their own exhaust systems so ask to be sure as this has been a small headache in the past for some. Race-tech td04 downpipes are 2.5" minimum so they will definitely mismatch whatever exhaust system you have unless you are running a custom 2.5" or a Fujitsubo Powergetter or similar. This is if you want to run the exact diameter exhaust all the way through or start from at least 2.5" so you don't strangle the power. Even the Blitz Nurspec R and Japspeed systems start smaller at the downpipe (60mm/2.36")

You have seen some of the work in the flesh so you may have probably made your decision already.

Hope this helps.

Joz

i did look at wepr, but they didnt do an equal length externally gated mani that i wanted :p

didnt look ver well then? my ram mani is made by WEPR with equal length runners and externally gated? is the one in my old V build thread. he does a massive massive range of styles. and as above his kits are build like tanks!! seriously solid manis.

Every tubular manifold will eventually crack doesn't matter who made it or what. its all down to the laws of thermal expansion and the fact you've got a heavy turbo hanging off the end. if you address that by hardmouting the turbo and bracing the manifold it'll crack with there isn't enough room to breath so when it gets hot and expands it'll crack because of that. can't win.

the only manifolds i've never seen fail from heat expansion and weight were on f1 and topfuel drag cars where the manifold is bolted to the head, and the tail pipe bolted to the chassis. inbetween there are tripple slip expansion joints that allows movement, everwhere the manifold could possible grow there would be a slip joint. all it has to do is flow gas nothing else.

But this would be extremely hard to reproduce in a starlet with such small space and turbo location.

but even if you can do this they don't last for ever because eventually after all the heat cycles the metal become fatigued and fragile and cracks down to harmonics and internal gas pressure alone. remember exhaust energy is hugely higher than intake pressure.

i've seen racetech manifolds crack but like i said above they all will regardless of who makes them its the laws of physics.

Tim

TB Developments

IMHO the quality of rickys fabrication is second to none and show impressive figures when mapping too!

Hth

Rob

Epic.... Nuff Said....

Anyone who's seen one of his kits in person will tell you the same!

I should have some figures sooN! :thumbsup:

As above I've seen rickys work many times especially on Socks build. IMO no matter what anyone says about ricky good or bad he should be knighted for his welding skills by far the best I've ever seen by a long way