Charlotte's GT Advance- Massive overdue update.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my exhaust has got louder but i like that screamer is insanely loud ;) no I'm not mapped yet. Jam FCC and sard rrfpr will be mapped asoon as I can afford it just trying to get the afr's right for time being which is proving a bitch. It's a little laggy but not that bad then when it boosts my god dose it go to be hoists it feels more responsive than my ct9 set up :)

I'll take a photo and post it up, I'm not very good at explaining :/ the turbo was only rotated by about 15 degrees. Still points upward compared to a td04 which points down.

That would be great if you could please :)

• 2 months later...

bit of an update!

she ran like a dream even considering the huge crack in the head, and she made the 5 hour round trip to jae like a trooper :)

few pics from hull motor show and jae;

35ldfnl.jpg

72a80m.jpg

decided that seeing as the head was scrap and the clutch was just about dead, we would rip the engine out tonight and crack on with swapping bits and stuff before i go back to uni. shes getting;

- new cylinder head, freshly skimmed, cleaned and pressure tested

- new valve stem oil seals

- new head gasket, rocker cover gasket, general seals on the head, injector o-rings, spark plug seals etc etc...

- exedy stage one organic clutch kit

- replacing crank oil seals

- painting block, gearbox etc

- painting engine bay

- removing unnecessary crap and tucking a few wires

- the usual bits like fresh oil in engine and box, oil filter etc...

and last but not least, full wepr external wastegate td04 kit (not actually got it yet but in a few days or so fingers crossed)

pics so far!

10h4uas.jpg

w7lnjm.jpg

w8ti7p.jpg

2s1rp5d.jpg

and she was out! everyone was happy :)

zvs93o.jpg

so as it stands right now, the engine is out, bay is bare, and the swapping and painting and stuff commences tomorrow :)

Mac bring it to the lock up for a diagnosis if you wish? Seem to have alot of starlets in my spot at the Moment. But yea can't wait to get cracked on tomorrow. Engine and box split, engine on engine stand, head off and let the cleaning/painting begin! :D

so engine went back in on monday after everything was dry from being painted. sprayed the bay gloss black, hammerited everything while the bumper and lights were out, and tidied the loom up abit, and ripped out some things that were still in the bay from the air conditioning.

all went well as far as getting the engine back in, turned her over on the starter motor with no fuel or spark just to get plenty of oil around it and into the new head. this is when problems started occuring! she turned over for about 10-15 seconds, but the revs got slower and slower and then the engine appeared to lock up and wouldnt turn over at all. i was wounded thinking it was a timing issue (even though we checked before putting the engine back in that it turned over and all was fine) soon discovered that the lines to the throttle body were the wrong way round, so the engine had indeed filled with coolant, fantastic. whipped plugs out and turned her over again and boom, shot coolant about 3 feet in the air. cleared the bores out as best we could, dried off the plugs and put them back in having swapped the throttle body lines.

tried to fire her again, and there was something there but definitely not what we hoped for, and she ran on by a fair bit when i turned the key off. checked fuel lines etc, then decided to check the throttle position sensor voltage. it was way out, hence the engine flooding itself. so set the tps up with a multimeter and wound out the idle screw (which was also all the way in). tried again, she fired on 3/4 for a few seconds then died again but that was the best we'd had out of her so far! turns out most of the problems were related to the inlet which i bought from a member on here some time ago, he was honest and said it had been fully stripped and thrown back together so was just a case of trial and error.

and here's the fun bit...

decided to check for a spark from all the leads with a plug against the block to rule out the leads/plugs. so off we went, fuel sender unplugged. turned her over, yes we had a spark! then all of a sudden there were very loud clicking noises and BOOOM! three foot flames from the inlet area of the engine bay! sam attempted for quite some time (felt like forever) to blow said three foot flames out with his pure man power lungs. needless to say he failed fantastically, so he got shoved out of the way and i dumped about 5 gallons of water on it and it only just went out. problem found- leaky injector on 4. i found it pretty hilarious but sam wasnt impressed and threatened to take me home and carry on without me, because i couldnt stop laughing haha. no damage and the fact that id stripped the loom and wrapped it in black electrical tape meant the loom survived. was a proper inferno!

luckily i had a spare set of o-rings, quick swap, injectors back in, primed the rail again and she fired up first time. few slight adjustments of the idle screw etc and she was sweet as a nut. took here down the road, no problems or misfires.

and she's been fine ever since but obviously im just limping her around for the first few hundred miles just to be sure. 250 down and no problems

wepr td04 external kit turned up yesterday (my ct9 wepr kit was sold to ajep91 a while ago but been waiting on kits etc). picking a td04 up tonight and hopefully tomorrow night she will be td04 (still in steady mode for a while yet though)

also just got sorted with a full set of trd shocks and springs last night, to replace the horrendous set of standard ones ive been on for months now and wow what a difference! only problem being shes now a hell of a lot lower and the 16's were chewing on the rear arches like mad so ive put the 14's back on and no rubbing but they look poo :( so panhard rod needed asap. but i would fully recommend trd's to anyone who wants a good road set up, not too stiff but amazing in corners etc.

also have my gauges on the a pillar now, and a hello kitty gear knob :) haters gonna hate, potates gonna potate.

2q3vtkl.jpg

10qz5u0.jpg

2lo4znk.jpg

1zn0gvd.jpg

the clutch was absolutely shafted, so in went the exedy stage one organic and a quick clean up of the fork and shaft and the pedal feels lovely and light, and no complaints with the new clutch yet, love it compared to the other one

2r43drm.jpg

plans for the near future are-

- mot this afternoon

- pick up td04 tonight

- rotate and possibly fit tomorrow

- panhard rod

- new tyres for the 16's (or a nice set of 15's with tyres)

- japshow finale on sunday woop :)

I hated the flames. That was defo not disco :(

But at least she is ruunning sweet now and td04 en route.

I can pretty much imagin the look on your face mate with engine bay on fire lol but at least charl's found it funny ha ha

Bloody hell, it was panic mode activate yesterday it seems! Glad to see it's all sorted now! And the name 'Flaminsam' could have been apt if it had gotten worse :p

Hello Kitty gearnob sounds hardcore, do ittt. Saw this at JAE, but totally forgot who it belonged too, sorry :( Don't think I even saw any of you lot.

Edited by Bluebear

I was more annoyed about the water in the cylinders than the thermal incident. A lot of issues cropped up but every one of them could have turned into something worse so I was lucky.

A lot of you who I have spoken to recently at jae/meets etc will know that I constantly moan about wanting either a pure black or white gt or a very clean glanza. I live the advance and know that if I sell it i probably never have the chance to own one again as they're getting very few and far between. But I look at sam's and it makes me want a solid colour rather than a two tone. Or a nice mint glanza. Hmmmm....

I'm sat in the mot test station as I'm typing this haha