standalone advise

been trying todo abit of research on standalones but theres just to many to compare lol. ill be running forged 5e with a garret gt2871r at around 1.6bar to start. id like to run coil on plug have the ability for launch control and flatshift aswell. and i want a ecu that also doubles as a boost controller. anyone got any advise i was looking at the omex 600 it seems very well priced with alot of features alot of people i see running the dtas and wondered how they compare.

also am trying to find out exactly whats else ill need to get ontop of the basic package to get it up and running and if anyone knows of good mappers that know there way around a starlet

cheers shaun

Edited by _shaun_

link ive looked into and am very impressed but as it will be awhile before it actauly gets done just wanting to look around see what else is on the market.

i was looking at the megasquirts when chris was selling them and although i had the cash for it waiting he never bothered selling me one so i dunno if id like it incase something went wrong id realy like something with some aftercare incase anything goes wrong

Id say find the best mapper near you and see what hes good with, a standalone needs to be really worked on to get right (think of how long toyota would have spent perfecting the standard map) cold start tuning needs a couple of days in itself....

Give Russ @ Performance HQ a shout, he would be more than happy to go over a few with you, i cant fault my DTA s40 although i cant run coil on plug i can only run wasted spark, i think you can run coil on plug with the s60 though, apart from that the s40 can do launch control, flat shifting ect.....

As Asad said really, find out whos going to map it first.

It all depends on your budget really, the Link G4 will cover everything and from what i've heard is piss easy to install. In terms of price I don't think you can beat the DTA S60 though.

Also factor in the tech support you or your tuner may need, no point going with one manufacturer to get shit tech support.

Edited by AdamB
  • 10 months later...

i was thinking about going with an emerald has any one else actually done it ... my tech guy swears by them... come on guys talk to me

Its an old thread now but emerald is run by dave walker, from the town i live in, he has a coloumn in practical performance car which is worth a read. Some of the cars that come through his place are unreal, from dakar race buggies to v8 rx7's and numberous race teams from across europe so he must be doing something right!

Its not cheap though, about £600 notes plus will need wiring in then mapping about another £400 from him ,but they are top notch gear.

mapping done by my mechanical/mapping god aka my mechanic/buddy (for free) .... and hes the dealer for emerald in the cairbbean so im paying cost for the unit.... just wanted to know if anyone has done it before

do you think you can get me a link to that read up?

Emerald is a very good and capable unit, but I do believe you'll have to pretty much swap out all of the OEM sensors to get it running properly. It's only as good as the guy with the laptop though, even a megasquirt could make a Motec look silly in the right hands.

Edited by AdamB

That isn't very comforting news to be honnest.... Hmmm so then what stand alones have people been using ... As I doubt I want to start replacing every sensor known to mankind lol

Edited by rasslenny

That isn't very comforting news to be honnest.... Hmmm so then what stand alones have people been using ... As I doubt I want to start replacing every sensor known to mankind lol

The sensors themselves aren't that expensive to buy, well not over here anyway might be different for you.

I'm currently having a dta s60 fitted with anti lag and LC, this needs most the sensors changing and a custom loom with a cps attached and coil conversion.

One of the best ecus imo but do have a hefty price tag for a completed system