200 bhp reliable but cheap - possible?

Hi guys,

I'm new to these forums and i've just been browsing around lately and soaking up all the knowledge on this great forum. I'll be be purchasing a Starlet EP82 black quadlight mid january and from all the threads on these forums i honestly can't wait to get it and take it for a spin! :)

its completely standard with a mileage of around 68,000 miles and only two owners, the person i'm buying it off is my brother and he's the second owner, the first owner only had the car for 3 months and crashed it, it was a Cat C and my brothers fixed it up etc.

The point of this thread was to just ask a question so i'll stop beating around the bush. Is it possible to get close to 200bhp for £1000 or thereabouts plus the following mods which the car will have already?

)

-Resealed and polished top end. (i think this is the term, the top ends basically been made fresh and really shiny, i'll try and get pics)

-Full straight through 3" scorpion s/s exhaust

- Greddy turbo timer

- Blitz boost gauge

- MOMO steering wheel (this has nothing to do with BHP lol)

- Blitz decat pipe

- Bailey dump valve (the seller said he'd put on a trumpet BOV he's got lying around, would this be better?

- Air filter

Other than the above mods, could i stay within a budget of £1000 and get it to around 200 bhp?

Thanks for all the help guys and sorry to be a bother :)

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong section, its sort of an introduction thread but also a question so i didn't know where to put it? mods feel free to move this, thanks!

Manifold used about £100 bro

Actuator used around £40

Fpr around £60-70

And fuelling checked on rollers approx£100

Fmic:£100-£250?

Or if u get piggyback ecu then £550 including mapping from tuning developments

If you get £1000 to spend stretch it a teeny bit and go td04

Edited by Hawwy

with a £1000 you could achieve 200bhp pretty easy depends what route you wanna go TD04 or CT9 Hybrid both will get you to that magical 200bhp

I was thinking of just using the stock CT9 for a few a while so i could get used to how the car drives etc. I know these cars are nippy little monsters and i just want to make sure i don't kill myself lol!

Manifold used about £100 bro

Actuator used around £40

Fpr around £60-70

And fuelling checked on rollers approx£100

Fmic:£100-£250?

Or if u get piggyback ecu then £550 including mapping from tuning developments

If you get £1000 to spend stretch it a teeny bit and go td04

Could i also do it this way?

- Port standard manifold and wastegate

- HKS actuator and SARD FPR are in the mix hopefully will have those by next week

- FMIC

- Emanage blue from TD - had a word with Mike and he agreed that it'll still be running late January

Would that be reasonable?

Buy cheap, buy twice.... always been the rule.

Take your time with it, enjoy it.....

Definitely Matt, i was thinking of getting an EMU rather than a FCD. I wanna do it right to make it last all night! 8)

It took me about £800ish to get it to 1 bar on CT9 will all supporting mods on a Mine's ECU, probably a little under 200

Could you give me a list of what mods you did Amjad? Would really be helpful, i'm also thinking of opting for the TD emanage offer, would that be better than going the ecu route?

Yeah u should be able to piss it there is loads of options out there now that are easily available

That's the plan :)

200bhp guide will be up again over this weekend I hope!

Cheers Socks!

Just saving my money at the moment, as soon as i get the car i'll be posting pics up and maybe a progress thread too :D

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure whether TD's package or Plug and Play would be bettter for you. I decided to go Plug and Play as it's a lot less hassle travelling up to see a tuner and then I can switch to TD04 without a remap etc.

My GT was completely stock I bought:

NGK Iridium Grade 7 plugs

Uprated HT leads

Air filter relocation

HKS Actuator

HDi FMIC

SPS Decat

Ported OEM manifold

Ported Wastegate

Japspeed Exhaust

CAP Paddle Clutch

Mine's ECU

That's all I can remember off the top of my head!

Edited by Amjad

I'm not sure whether TD's package or Plug and Play would be bettter for you. I decided to go Plug and Play as it's a lot less hassle travelling up to see a tuner and then I can switch to TD04 without a remap etc.

My GT was completely stock I bought:

NGK Iridium Grade 7 plugs

Uprated HT leads

Air filter relocation

HKS Actuator

HDi FMIC

SPS Decat

Ported OEM manifold

Ported Wastegate

Japspeed Exhaust

CAP Paddle Clutch

Mine's ECU

That's all I can remember off the top of my head!

Cheers for that Amjad, how's your car running with these mods? How much bar and bhp? An would you recommend an upgrade from the standard brakes?

I'd be sorting the brakes and suspension out first, the stock brakes are pretty poor so depending on condition i would look at sorting them out.

Suspenion depends on what you are wanting to do with the car and how you want it to ride.

I think your going the right way with an EMU this will allow you have it mapped again when you make more changes.

you planning on stopping or going around corners? Clutch?? You will do it for under that but it will be pretty shit if the rest of the car cant take it or make the most of it

It runs really well, 1.1bar and estimated 180-190bhp it's quick enough!

Yeah before chasing power I'd recommend upgrading the brakes and suspension.

I'm running a GT4 single caliper 277.5mm setup, the braking force is awesome you can probably get everything you need for ~£250 or less.

Coilovers are one of the best mods you can do as well as ARBs and braces to sort the handling, and an LSD helps put the power down a lot. So I'd say do some basic bolt on mods to run 0.75 bar (below fuel cut) on stock ECU, so it's a bit quicker and then sort the brakes and suspension out.