Oil temp and safe top speed on 200bhp 4efte standard engine

Hi,

Just after advise on what temp the 4efte should be running I've bee keeping my eye out on oil temp whilst driving on normal and boasting around town and motorway driving and it's around 80 deg driving normal and boosting around town 100 deg n coolin to 90 deg and around 90-100 on motorway.

What I want to know is what temp can I tolerate at constant boosting before causing damage to engine? As I want to take my car on track days but want to know weather to get an oil cooler with thmostat if it's needed?

Also my clocks only show upto 115mph which gets there in no time, and want to know what's the safest top end speed I should only go up to on a standard 4efte engine?

Also when driving at 115mph plus how does your car handle? Does it lift etc?

I got generally no higher than 95 when driving about boosting, on track it got up to 110 which was too high for my liking, I backed off til it reached 95 and carried on again

No idea about speed I don't pay much attention to the speedo lol

as above about oil. speed doesnt make a massive difference imo towards the engine its mainly the revs if your driving at 120 in 5th and sitting at 5k revs its alot better for the engine that doing 30 at 8k revs.

but if you have time to look at the speedo your not driving fast enough :p

The oil temps all depends on the shear point of the oil you are using different oils have different shear points it should all be in the tech spec of the oil or can be found on the net. I use gulf competition and thats good up to about 130c be for it starts to become less stable.

x2, but generally speaking I wouldn't want to see no more than 110-115 degC. Change your oil to a thicker viscosity if it gets too high.

• 3 months later...

Our Mk2 Golf GTi used to hit about 117 before we installed a oil cooler (now sits around 95 on track).

As Amjad said, once it hits a temp you don't like just back off for awhile and let it cool.

Our Mk2 Golf GTi used to hit about 117 before we installed a oil cooler (now sits around 95 on track).

As Amjad said, once it hits a temp you don't like just back off for awhile and let it cool.

Wow I didn't think older NA engines would hit those temps!

I was always told to back off if I ever got to 110 temp wise

Your right mate, rule of thumb is that the oil starts to become ineffective at 110C. So if your going to be running higher temperatures than this, you need to make sure you get a good oil that will work above this temperature.

Wow I didn't think older NA engines would hit those temps!

Why not? The 1.8 is more or less bulletproof! :p

@luke Is the temp off track not tooo low now then?

Doesn't really get driven now, I'd say around town ect it wouldn't even hit 80 :lol: