Jay's track- fast road glanza v!!

right as we all kow japfest happened, epic day..

car drove faultlessly, no fluid loss pressures and temps were spot on.

good catching up with fellow starlet owners.

I finished fitting roll cage just before japfest..

but now im home heres the pics of the car and cage...

DSC_0241_zps3210b8c4.jpg

DSC_0239_zps31065b6f.jpg

DSC_0238_zps6184496c.jpg

DSC_0240_zps7c786e6a.jpg

DSC_0237_zps1eb65ca1.jpg

DSC_0244_zps0cd42274.jpg

DSC_0246_zps803d2658.jpg

DSC_0245_zps3146e898.jpg

DSC_0243_zpsd091be96.jpg

DSC_0288_zps1898087e.jpg

DSC_0287_zps262df42b.jpg

DSC_0289_zps1a9cf530.jpg

DSC_0286_zps0cee433f.jpg

Picture of me heading to combe.

DSC_0292_zpsc0de8448.jpg

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers liam..

I do think my turbo might be on its way now though.

white oil burn smoke once on high boost, any other conditions no smoke at all..

and dipstick level drops slightly too..

but lee from owen developments spoke to me at japfest as I apparently passed him on route to japfest and said mine

flew past him and sounded nice..

So he looking at a turbo to suit my build, so maybe a new turbo over winter...

cheers liam..

I do think my turbo might be on its way now though.

white oil burn smoke once on high boost, any other conditions no smoke at all..

and dipstick level drops slightly too..

but lee from owen developments spoke to me at japfest as I apparently passed him on route to japfest and said mine

flew past him and sounded nice..

So he looking at a turbo to suit my build, so maybe a new turbo over winter...

Has lasted a fair while to be honest, think yours was one of the first builds I did on here to be honest. Turbo would usually smoke on overun though and not when the cars being boosted? That's awesome Owen Developments really know there stuff that's where I would be aiming to work of they were a little closer to me. Let me know if I can be of any assistance again though.

Lets be honest, anyone who puts canards on a starlet does it for looks. The only way you'll know if they've worked is if they've been specifically designed and tested in a wind tunnel lol.

Lets be honest, anyone who puts canards on a starlet does it for looks. The only way you'll know if they've worked is if they've been specifically designed and tested in a wind tunnel lol.

True, true.

Just wondering that's all, because nothing on the front end is actually going to be doing anything. The car is way too high off the floor for starters and the canards are nearly vertical on the bottom touching the top ones almost, it will jut cause drag instead of downforce.

Not digging, just being constructive.

Any aero worth it's salt needs to be fastened to the chassis of the car, not just the bumper. Aero if working correctly will pull the car to the road, that requires a lot of force. Force which I'm certain the standard bumper mounts will not tolerate.

The air also needs to exit cleanly toward the back of the car, meaning at very least the splitter needs to stretch back as far as the floor, otherwise any air forced underneath will immediately exit up and into the engine bay.

Any aero worth it's salt needs to be fastened to the chassis of the car, not just the bumper. Aero if working correctly will pull the car to the road, that requires a lot of force. Force which I'm certain the standard bumper mounts will not tolerate.

The air also needs to exit cleanly toward the back of the car, meaning at very least the splitter needs to stretch back as far as the floor, otherwise any air forced underneath will immediately exit up and into the engine bay.

Yeah man, couldn't agree more. And thinking of that, I bet the engine bay itself causes SO much drag from air going underneath then up to the bay!!

Of course it was for looks, but then with some thought

I decided to at least make it try to do something.

And to get a starlet to have a flat bottom you basically need to

recreate the car, as ride height is too high.

There is a rally starlet in the hyper rev, they created a flat base all across the floor pan, I think canards work but nothing major gained, they are meant to create downforce around corners or when sudden change of direction, Rob has a good point though, unless they have been positioned and tested correctly it would create more drag than aero, cars looking sweet definately finished it off with that cage! :)

theirs one problem with flat bottoms/ sculpted venturi bottoms..

that's is speedhumps.lol..

if this was a dedicated track only car, then I would explore the flat bottom a lot further..

main purpose was to disguise the state and poor paint job from previous owner on front bumper, and as I track it,

drive hard on road and shows etc, I have never painted it just hid the state behind canards and splitter..

which to be honest has worked rather well.LOL..

theirs one problem with flat bottoms/ sculpted venturi bottoms..that's is speedhumps.lol..if this was a dedicated track only car, then I would explore the flat bottom a lot further..main purpose was to disguise the state and poor paint job from previous owner on front bumper, and as I track it,drive hard on road and shows etc, I have never painted it just hid the state behind canards and splitter..which to be honest has worked rather well.LOL..

Speed bumps ruin everything!!

The car is way too high off the floor for starters and

Why does it matter if the car isn't very low, as long as a splitter has the correct angle with regards to the car and the ground?

Why does it matter if the car isn't very low, as long as a splitter has the correct angle with regards to the car and the ground?

Ground effect aerodynamics of race cars is concerned with generating downforce, principally via low pressure on the surfaces nearest to the ground. Suspension motion leading to unsteady flow. It has been well documented that, at a particular incidence, running in proximity to the ground gives increased levels of downforce compared with the freestream case.

Why do you think f1 cars are on the floor? Time attack cars? Touring cars?

It's all to do with suction towards the floor and accelerating over the suction and ground pressure.

Put 2 cars next to each other the EXACT same, same aero set up, except one is high and one is low. Which is going to go round the corner faster?

That's why it matters.

If its not low enough though you create more of a lift than push effect. That said i dont think starlets are really at the point of need such down force till you are in maybe the 600hp full track prep stage tbh. And plus, it looks awesome tbh who cares if its doing much or not lol, hes not a le mans car its a fast road/track car for fun and awesome days out.

Shorty thanks for the love bro..

As russ78 said when i was behind him " looks so mean and different "

It catches your eye and draws people in.

Anyways got sort my burning oil prob, looks turbo related at the mome.t.

Jay you whipped the downpipe of and checked the turbine side to see if it's wet