Make that 4 fubarred pistons

Had some spare time to get the pistons and rods out of the boxy today to see what damage was done and if it was repairable. Now by the power of grey skull my bores, bottom end and rods have managed to get away unscathed, but all 4 pistons are fucked and look like someone has put them in a smelting furnace.

2 and 3 are completly melted and 1 and 4 were pitted and rough on the outer edges where its started to go the same way. Either way i need a new set

IMAG0237_zps4b692a69.jpg

IMAG0242_zps4b3eb521.jpg

IMAG0241_zps008b017c.jpg

IMAG0243_zps367df9e4.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well this guy from another forum has had more or less the same thing, have a look here

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2733542 (his was turbo charged also)

the damage is almost identicle, they all think its timing especially as its gone on the intake side of the piston. Not particuarly happy with tuning developments, you pay good money to get all this shit checked and then less than 100 miles later i have 4 melted pistons where as i had driven 1500 miles previously to getting it mapped with no problems and now its fucked, if it was mechanical failure then i would have accepted that no problem, but i cant accept my car suddenly went wrong less than 100 miles after a mapping session??

Not happy, certainly wont be going back!

Edited by Taggy

Ahh there seems to have been a couple people with problems after td mapped last few weeks. Tho with all the engines they mapped am sure it's a very small percentage that have had issues. You goon to try get it on road for the season still?

I am just fucked off that my car is in bits, i spent all that money on it to make it bullet proof forged and then somthing that isnt mechanical fucks it up!

So the finger seems to be pointing at timing as the issue, as all 4 pistons have gone the same way, will get the injectors flow tested for peace of mind but it means i need to get the fucking thing back on the rollers again now arggghhh!!!

Edited by Taggy

This is what I said in your first topic looks like tuning problems to me.

A small percentage is still too much! A good tuner should not have problems like this how ever many times they tune an ECU, its like getting in the car every now and then and forgetting how to drive!!

completely agree a small percentage is to much but sadly it sometimes shit happens it all depends how you deal with the situation afterwords to correct the situation

Real shame to hear that dude love the boxy it's awsome, I'm not a mapper by any means or a mechanic for that matter but I would presume that

If your timing was out then it would of been out while it was on the rollers dude , and even on the road test afterwards and no tuning company would release a car knowing the timing was out enough to cause that damage

Ai its a wank situation to be in, I have managed to find someone with another set of pistons for £400 but its money that I shouldnt have to be spending. I have sold my oil cooler kit for £250 whch should help towards it, but i think i want some EGT and AFR guages in there.

As said before gutted for you dude. I had mine mapped at td on the 16th of February and on the 28th of feb (my birthday) the big end shells started knocking. Took them out the next day and managed to get away (so far) with just a new set of shells as the crank was fine. I don't blame td at all as it was quite clear that they were all genuinely very worn and tired, was just unfortunate :(

Hope you get it sorted :)

they say it was fine when it was on the rollers and are going on the basis somthing has gone wrong in the 100 miles after it left their workshop. So i cant argue it, but i am going to put the pistons back in and take it to ricky at race tech. I want him to redo the map and put it on the rollers and with any luck he can identify the fault.

If it turns out its a tuning fault I will be going straight back to TD, or if its my fault some how i will take it on the chin.

Will see

Ah i know, well hopefully Ricky can help out or failing that my local rolling road place in Bridgend Gotboost.

If you didn't mess about with anything after it was mapped then i cant see how it could be your fault.