Make that 4 fubarred pistons

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Will at RDT that I use he offers a full pre dyno inspection, bore scope to check every thing is good in the cylinders, checks plugs, static timing, cooling system for leaks and so on and thats around 60 quid if you have that done before the dyno there is no disclaimer to sign and generally if its built to a good standard he dont bother ether but if its all bodged together then yes you have to sign one!

Thought that was pretty standard at tuning companies nowa days

Me personally would get the fuel system checked, this would rule out any mechanical failures with whats happened.

After thats eliminated it would be due to the timing, then fingers can start being pointed.

Like I had said previously, either not enough timing was in the map causing excessive EGT's, or the base static ignition timing wasn't checked.

Edited by AdamB

I still think all 4 injectors maxed out, lets be honest as soon as she was finished you ragged the fuck out of it on injectors that blatantly couldnt flow enough and ran lean.......still shit news mate after all the hard work was put in.

Have any of the fueling components been looked at yet?

Pressure is on now to get her done and seen at japfest :p

Base timing was checked and set before tuning commenced.

Ignition timing levels were not excessive, as stated in the previous thread, we do not go to the extremes with a customers car, there are many variables to allow for which means we leave a safety margin.

If this damage has happened so quickly, then we would have been aware of the issue whilst on the dyno for several hours, and then also out on the road afterwards. The motor was silent through det cans and was running A1 when it left, you road tested it yourself before deciding to still tow it home.

Without seeing the car, and from what you have explained to me via PM, I would look into your fuel system on the car with a view towards fuel starvation at extended periods of extreme load. Probably also worth picking up a stronger, more stable EBC.

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

Well i have had a change of plan, I really need to keep the rebuild costs down especially as i now need a new set of forged pistons so I have emailed tuning developments if i can take the car back to them to get fault tested for no charge. Cant really afford to pay another £250 to put it back on the rollers again, im bloody skint now.

That way they get a chance to see if its something that's failed or if indeed they missed something, i dont see why they shouldnt.

Hmm what i also find interesting is two different tuners have different opinions on what they think has gone wrong, Ricky says timing, TD thinks fuel starvation, hmmm i wonder who is right.

If it was on the rollers for 7hours then if they was something wrong with fueling then why didnt anything go wrong on the rollers? madness

Its as if its been mapped and the map hasnt been saved or something lol cause if anything was to go wrong you would of thought it would of been within that 7hours it was on the rollers

Also no tuner will admit there at fault it could put alot of people off going there to get there car turned so thats never going to happen! The only way your going to find out whats realy happend 100% is take it to another turner

Ohh and im not saying TD are at fault here im just saying even if they are i cant see them admiting it

Edited by micky boy

Also no tuner will admit there at fault it could put alot of people off going there to get there car turned so thats never going to happen! The only way your going to find out whats realy happend 100% is take it to another turner

Ohh and im not saying TD are at fault here im just saying even if they are i cant see them admiting it

you obviously don't know nick and mike then - most honest people I know.

Oh and if you tell another tuner that you think another tuner has fucked up, whether they have or not the vast majority will say they have fucked up (whether the have or not!) and charge you for fixing something that didnt need fixing.

Oh I'm speaking from experience here also

^^^ total agree with danb above and have previously had experience with this when tuning the ford rs's something happend with a Friends motor so he took it somewhere closer for an inspection and bam had a laundry list of so called faults and a nice quote of how much it would cost to fix it (there way) .

Tuning companies are like all other companies they are competition with each other in one way or another.

Just hope u get the boxy sorted mate

Well i will ask everyone to stop the blame game then, I have agreed with Mike to take it back and have a look at it and go from there. I hope to have it fixed by end of April.

As above or this will be locked

Maybe we should make trophies out of them for this years JAE

Yes Taggy!

Special awards:

1. Most Automotive Pain/Worst Luck

2. Craziest Idea of the year

3. Longest Build of the year

4. Most powerful on standard internals (giviing them the most knackered forged piston, cause who needs it :D)