Time Attack/Circuit Car Build - **Forged engine installed!**

Yeah we haven't had the time to do proper data logging/testing because we're in the middle of a race season. There was always something to fix/change in the setup that ate up most of our time. Hopefully after the last leg this October, we can get some downtime and do log some stats while we prep/test for the endurance race on December.

To be honest the fuel cooler wasn't really an original idea. Saw my friend running one in his autocross-spec Lancer Evo III. He told me it allowed him to tune and run to 2 bar boost, without fear of the AF mixture getting too hot. So I just took it from there.

Thats very good, you should have logged the stats, before and after to get some Good data up. Alot of people may start using fuel cooler on their builds now thanks too you

Edited by mindless
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2GkWEN0pI&feature=player_embedded

Driver level - Asian.

Fucking epic driving!!! That's how a starlet should be driven round track :p.

I noticed a hell of a lot of understeer, and I also noticed earlier on here you said you wasn't sure about aero. I think it's a MUST, especially on tracks like these where you need to be carrying as much speed as possible through corners while staying flat.

Also, why not just leave the boost on high? Surely it would put in better lap times rather than a 5 second squirt..

Other than that, fucking love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2GkWEN0pI&feature=player_embedded

Driver level - Asian.

Fucking epic driving!!! That's how a starlet should be driven round track :p.

I noticed a hell of a lot of understeer, and I also noticed earlier on here you said you wasn't sure about aero. I think it's a MUST, especially on tracks like these where you need to be carrying as much speed as possible through corners while staying flat.

Also, why not just leave the boost on high? Surely it would put in better lap times rather than a 5 second squirt..

Other than that, fucking love it.

Thanks Rbz. :) Yes the car has a slight understeer setup which we kind of like at the moment because it allows us some room for aggressiveness when attacking the corners without losing it. This is good for us since the car was really built for me and brother to develop our driving as the we progress through our racing career. We're 2 years in and we're doing quite well if you consider we only get seat time one saturday every month :). But I assure you when the rear does rotate quite nicely when needed. I guess it doesn't show in the video.

As for Aero, its a question of cost vs weight vs gain. The most cost effective way is to build a full underbody diffuser out of wood/particle board. Cheap to build and if it smashes cheap to replace. However it is going to increase the car's weight. Now the ideal way to do it is to go CF. But is very expensive to create a proper aero package (full underbody diffuser) with CF and very expensive to replace (at least at our level of financing) and if we're going to do it we might as well do it right. So i guess until we get a sponsor for aero or I get additional funds, we'll hold that off and use the money somewhere else (like better brake package).

As for boost – at the standard 1 bar level we're already experiencing slight wheel spin problems exiting out of the corner. Leaving it at 1.3 bar all the time will only aggravate it and since there is a radial tire restriction for this race series we can't use full slicks to remedy that. If you watch the wheel to wheel videos you'll see that 1 bar is enough to keep up with even an EG hatch with a built K24 TypeR powerplant :)

As it stands right now – the lap time 1m56s in that video is actually enough to rival 300++ hp 4WD subarus on that track. Of course that was driven by a pro, so I think we have to improve our skills to reach that benchmark before making any major upgrades to the setup. Even that alone is a lot of work ahead for me and brother :)

Edited by mindless

As it stands right now – the lap time 1m56s in that video is actually enough to rival 300++ hp 4WD subarus on that track. Of course that was driven by a pro, so I think we have to improve our skills to reach that benchmark before making any major upgrades to the setup. Even that alone is a lot of work ahead for me and brother :)

thats a great attitude to have for sure!

Good luck with the efforts, keep us all updated.

Phil

The last race was a bit of a disappointment to say the least. Who would have thought the smallest of problems would end our race. I never even got to sit/drive in the car for my time attack session.

Just after the morning run of the competition we were having problems we thought was being caused by a faulty TPS. Our tuner was able to mess around with the engine map just enough to make it run for the grid race.

The race was highly contested as it was the last race for the season. Everyone was battling for points. We got a penalty because we missed the grid line up and they made us start from the pits. Still after a few laps and a spin we were able to get to 4th place until...

>http://youtu.be/sT886JW1-No

Our freaking throttle cable apparently got stuck and in WOT. There was a piece of rubber/teflon coating on the cable that was peeled got caught inside the effing cable – and that was what caused all earlier headaches (we thought it was the TPS not detecting throttle properly)

That's it for our points battle this season. We'll just concentrate on the upcoming 6 hour endurance race in December 1. For now engine is in teardown to see how much damage free revving did to it. Hopefully not much.

Edited by mindless
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...