So me and the bf have found a little 1 bed house and have put an offer in and just waiting to hear if we have been accepted. Absolutely bricking it as my first time not living with my parents and will have so much stuff to buy if we get accepted.

Anyone have any advice they can give me? Apart from try not to spunk all our money as soon as rent is paid :)

its 7 years since I moved out and its a differant world altogether!! I can do what the hell I like in the house and not get into bother!! we dont have any problems with been under each others feet tho we live like the couple in brassed off! I get in from work Kat goes out then I dont see her till the next morning!!

Just watch what you spend on stuff like take aways, TV stuff like sky can become very expensive too! just be careful on what you spend and enjoy your self's!!

Yeap been there,cost a heck of alot more money to have a place with the other half.me and my mrs were paying 550 a month and we barely got by after all bills such as heating,electric,water,sewage,and council tax, internet,we never had sky as we couldnt justify it and we already had alot to pay out for.as said above be very carefull wen it comes to takeaway food its expensive

A great bit of advice is to definatley have a big freezer and get that food when its goin out of date or going alot cheaper than normal and freeze it.food is costly

You will realise

I moved out nearly 4 years ago to go to uni, was a big shock but you just need to budget.

Food is ridiculous, as is gas and electric. If your place is on a meter for gas/electric do a comparison check online as sometimes you might be better off staying on the meter rather than going direct debit. I found that I was saving like £80 a year by staying on a meter.

Also don't bother paying TV licence, just watch it all on demand ;)

Bg freezer, buy a months at a time in meats from a good local butcher and freeze it , you will be shocked howmuch you get these days from the butcher over the supermarket (plus its not slovakian horse meat etc lol) also look on freecycle for good second hand white goods, sofas etc. Its full of people who want rid of decent things but cant be doing with ebay etc. Can set yourself up for almost free with enough to get you by for a year or two while you slowly buy your own new goods and furniture. Plus as others have said prepare to want kill eatch other once in a while. As its a bit of a change being together all the time. Lol my gf said if i dont go out once a week at least to see my mates she would smother me in my sleep haha as she likes the break so she can watch all her crappy programs i dont like and see her girly mates etc. Most of all enjoy the freedom and always home cook, take a packed lunch to work etc. Saves a small fortune!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! We got a phone call today to say our offer has been excepted and can move in September. So I'm really excited! We got white goods with the place which is handy and my old man got a couple of sofas in the garage which is brill!

I already to packed lunch for work caus I'm a cheapskate lol and my mum is building me a recipe book so I cook proper food not TV dinners :p

The advantage we have is that we have been together for 5 years and are together pretty much everyday after work, but still not the same as living together I know :)

So I went tesco with my mother tonight and never thought I would get so excited looking at toasters haha!

Yes we are very excited! We moving in 20th September so gives us some time to sort out our crap etc.

Unfortunately going to have to miss JAE this year, but is the weekend before we go so too much last minute madness :)

Thanks for the advice guys! We got a phone call today to say our offer has been excepted and can move in September. So I'm really excited! We got white goods with the place which is handy and my old man got a couple of sofas in the garage which is brill! I already to packed lunch for work caus I'm a cheapskate lol and my mum is building me a recipe book so I cook proper food not TV dinners :p The advantage we have is that we have been together for 5 years and are together pretty much everyday after work, but still not the same as living together I know :) So I went tesco with my mother tonight and never thought I would get so excited looking at toasters haha!

good luck guys, i left home years ago and never looked back.

here have a beer to celebrate :thumbsup:

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/russyb/media/imagesCA8OSY7C_zpsf13b845e.jpg.html'>imagesCA8OSY7C_zpsf13b845e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any advice on how to handle estate agents without loosing your rag? Mine seems to be on another fucking planet! Fucked up our move in dates and keeps sending everything to the o/h even though I'm the one dealing with it.

Grrrr!

Rant over :)

Big step!

if its going to work it just will like people have said you'll piss each other of but depends how you deal with it.

Main thing i would say is dont get to excited and by stuff you dont really need. its great to have nice stuff but when i moved out (6 years a go ) its what i did and having 2 plates and 1 pan that everything sticks to is no way to start out!

estate agents are little shits tbh nothing is ever important to them, you just need to be firm and quote exactly what they say to you get as much in writing as you can so you have back up if they change the dates you can say you have laided out for vans, movers, furnature being delivered that now you are going to have to cancel at a fee and do to that you need them to respond with a realistic date of which you can rearrange anything or you will seek compensation.

Anyone have any advice on how to handle estate agents without loosing your rag? Mine seems to be on another fucking planet! Fucked up our move in dates and keeps sending everything to the o/h even though I'm the one dealing with it.

Grrrr!

Rant over :)

Fucking hate the bastards. mine was absoultely useless. Owed me about 1.2k for about 2 months when i moved out of a place i was renting.

Best way to handle them if there not doing what you want - be on there case all the time so they don't have an excuse is what i found.

Best of luck moving tho, its awesome the first time you do it, shop and cook sensibly like others have said and you can make food go a fair way.

Pay your water and gas quarterly if you can, not by direct debit, as with direct debit every month they just guess how much you use, and they usually go for more, then its a nightmare getting it back when they do a meter reading and realise you haven't used that much. Get some lamps/uplighters aswell if you wanna save on electric as they use alot less than massive lights, turn off all ya plugs etc if you wanna save on that. it all soon adds up i found.

Edited by RobSR

Thanks guys. Just want it all over and done with (including the clear out from my mum and dads!) I'm getting lessons from my mum on cooking from scratch so can cook nice things and freeze for another day.

I haven't ordered furniture etc. caus I've been on an ikea special shop lol! It just arranging the time off at work as I had it all sorted but not to worry :)

I'm constantly on the case of mine, but she is about as useful as a chocolate spoon and seems to live on another planet from the rest of us.