Why do people spend all this money?

Because they're money pits when you spend big and something goes wrong it costs a fortune to fix along with the added stress. Sometimes enough is enough for people. Just because a lot is spent doesn't mean it will work better it can become a real ball ache the more you do.

Totally agree... but in the end its worth it. People coming in to the game need to realise that you don't just strap a TD04 kit to the car along with bargain bucket supporting mods and expect it all to gel and all work. Then I'm not surprised 1000 miles later that they want to break.

Just because someone else has managed to get 4xxbhp out of a starlet, doesn't mean all need to follow the same route.

I remember the days when if a gt or glanza had a well spec'd hybrid, lowered on springs, good set of wheels and cat back exhaust system.... then it was the beezneez.

My advice... try and gather as much understanding of a project you are about to undertake. Read through well exampled build threads and ask questions were necessary. It will save you money. On the subject of money... expect to have good tolerance in your spending amd available funds.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent a fortune on my car, buying all the best i can afford, sometimes even its more than i can afford. There has been a couple times where i have thought about selling my bits and buying a nice fast daily, as i have been driving my work van for 2 years now. Then i think about the smile the car will put on my face when i get to drive it. For people that use them for 1000 miles then break them, possibly could have lost the love for the car by the time its done. In my opinion you have to start one of these projects %110 sure that your going to see it to the end and enjoy it. But i know its not hard to want to give up, I've nearly done it and im sure im not the only one.

Seen this happen so many times on this forum, and I think the main reason is they chase big power numbers which is fair enough but then they go on to uprate the suspension and brakes and strip the interior out and in the end what you've got is an uncomfortable, loud, highly strung car with a big laggy turbo that would be more at home on a track or drag strip rather than a daily driver, yes they can tell their mates how quick their car is but in reality it's not that nice to drive on a daily basis. If you're going to mod a road car then do it sensibly, unless you are doing track days every weekend it's not worth it.

I really think that any road car should be built with a compromise - keep the interior, keep any luxuries that you want, even if it means extra weight. Don't go too harsh on the suspension spring rates and damping, keep it soft enough to be comfortable and be able to soak up the bumps, and don't just bolt on the biggest turbo you can find, for a road car you want a nice spread of torque throughout the rev range.

There are soooooo many better ways to spend £15k than on a GT86.

Personally they would be verrrrrrry far down my list. Just my opinion though.

And good luck finding a gt86 for £15k lol, ive never seen one.

Ive considered going forged etc sooo many times, but every time i always come back to thinking its not worth it. Spends thousands on a 15yo car that id never get back at all and it wouldnt get used properly either, because itd be my daily and id not track it so the power would be a waste.

I know you can lose just as much with a newer car on depreciation etc but it depends on the car too.

The forum does make me want to keep mine at times though haha, esp when most other forums ive seen are no where near as good as this one lol. Altho the recent stupid bickering is getting annoying, but thats not for this thread.

And good luck finding a gt86 for £15k lol, ive never seen one.

Ive considered going forged etc sooo many times, but every time i always come back to thinking its not worth it. Spends thousands on a 15yo car that id never get back at all and it wouldnt get used properly either, because itd be my daily and id not track it so the power would be a waste.

I know you can lose just as much with a newer car on depreciation etc but it depends on the car too.

The forum does make me want to keep mine at times though haha, esp when most other forums ive seen are no where near as good as this one lol. Altho the recent stupid bickering is getting annoying, but thats not for this thread.

Good point mate your well into 20k for 1.

And its not alot of car for that money. I think they are nice looking now but will show their age very quickly. The wheels that are on them are ripspeed-esque and are just a little tacky. The next hyundai coupe in the making if you ask me.

dont mistake me for a hater I actually really like them but they missed a trick big time when they didnt boost it. Subaru has a tryed and tested boxer turbo engine there and they go and use the n/a. Pretty much says it all......was a dagger through my heart.

And its not alot of car for that money. I think they are nice looking now but will show their age very quickly. The wheels that are on them are ripspeed-esque and are just a little tacky. The next hyundai coupe in the making if you ask me.

dont mistake me for a hater I actually really like them but they missed a trick big time when they didnt boost it. Subaru has a tryed and tested boxer turbo engine there and they go and use the n/a. Pretty much says it all......was a dagger through my heart.

Yes I completely agree with the boxer engine being an n/a. In my opinion they should have stuck a decent turbo on there and maybe even a turbo and supercharger to work together fully up the rev range. However, am I not mistaken in thinking their aim was to produce the most tunable car on the market? If so, if they had have gone straight for a turbo set up for example, they might have jumped on too far ahead for people who wanted a supercharger or maybe just an na set up with plenty of other different mods?

Tom.

Totally agree with you, i hate the wheels on them, and certainly wouldnt pay the £30k for a trd one.

Theres still something about them though that keeps me looking at them. But i think id want a turbo eventually lol.

Build it your self, save loads of cash :)

This! And the 6 month wait for it to be built, at least you can do what you want, when you want and how you like it.

Tbh I could have bought something a lot better like an Evo with the amount I've spent, and still yet to spend, but I don't think an Evo would give me the same feeling as a starlet. Having something thats under-estimated, not many about and not many people know what they are is a thrill.

Opinions will always cause conflict.. Simple answer for people forging then selling after a short while, IMO ofcourse, is that they have had it, tried it and tested it. After a while your going to want another car, doesnt matter if its 1000 or 1000000 miles later. Once a tuner has got near the full potential of the car, you want to keep going bigger and better. Like a 600bhp liner as said above :) again, only my opinion :)

My starlet has cleared the 20k mark now and many times I've thought about what I could do with the money If I got rid but then I bitch slap myself and realise how much love I have for my Starlet!!!

im approachin the 4k mark very quickly includin buyin the SR and its not left the drive yet after 2years of ownership lol

quote from dave burwash 2008 when i met him.

'all you will ever need engine wise in a starlet is decent management, ported and polished head, and a hybrid ct9. 200+bhp and zero lag. its the most overall enjoyment you will ever have in one of these cars'.

just wish i had listened instead of spunking 6k into mine in one shot.

i find the build great too, the beers in the garage on late nights, spending 3 years most of them looking underneath a '94 toyota, meeting new people and then reaching a goal or finding it isnt possible...

spending hours or days trawling forum for info

breaking is the only way to regain money from it and moving onwards and upwards

driving the car is 20% for me owning and building is the other 80%

splashing the cash, anticipating arrival of parts or nail biting waiting for a dyno result

its the greater percentage that makes a ownership for me

and the breaking is only the start of the next...

Do it for the love nothing else :) i build it for me and noone else, and only try to better the car all the time

so many ways to look at it its alot of money for what really to go fast ? but its what we're into, lick socks said it is good to beat prettymuch supercars

but the phrase so commonly used in car circles "each to their own" if someone wants to build it then break it its their money ...let them :S

peace !

Am in it for the build, 100%, ofcourse the actual driving experience is awesome aswell, but its a bit more special when you can say, 'i built this'. The feeling that gives you knowing that youve made this car what it is...well its fantastic !!

Really enjoying my current build atm :) And have my next build sitting right beside it haha.

I just wish i had technical knowhow when it comes to building. Im totally useless with mechanics or electrics etc so id have to get someone to do it. And not doing it on my current starlet with it being a daily.

But i willlll own a project one day and do it myself so i can learn by doing etc. although it probably wont be a starlet lol, dying to get an mk1 mx5 project.

Seen this happen so many times on this forum, and I think the main reason is they chase big power numbers which is fair enough but then they go on to uprate the suspension and brakes and strip the interior out and in the end what you've got is an uncomfortable, loud, highly strung car with a big laggy turbo that would be more at home on a track or drag strip rather than a daily driver, yes they can tell their mates how quick their car is but in reality it's not that nice to drive on a daily basis. If you're going to mod a road car then do it sensibly, unless you are doing track days every weekend it's not worth it.

I really think that any road car should be built with a compromise - keep the interior, keep any luxuries that you want, even if it means extra weight. Don't go too harsh on the suspension spring rates and damping, keep it soft enough to be comfortable and be able to soak up the bumps, and don't just bolt on the biggest turbo you can find, for a road car you want a nice spread of torque throughout the rev range.

All the above advice is excellent, my forged build makes 278bhp when at 1.4bar but i tend to run it at 1.2, i still have all the interior and run it quite soft on the suspension set up so as not to have too harsh a drive

The set up is all about torque an drive :) but can understand people losing faith, i have been in the position a couple of times but step back and realise this is a long term car, i had the engine built as not up to that mechancally but any other changes fitments i have done myself

When i joined the forum there were not many forged cars about but now there are a good few and i hope they stay on the forum

I am however lucky enough not to have to use it as a daily but still manage to put between 5-6 thou mile a year on it :) but each persons decision is their own and should be respected

John

Edited by ro55ifumi

Sometimes it seems as though people bite off more than they can chew tbh. They get obsessed with huge numbers and end up being separated from the car for ridiculous amounts of time while they wait it to be built.

Then they get fed up with the car and all the massive bills before they've even driven it. May as well just build it in steps and take time to enjoy it as you do :)