Lewis's 98 Spec TD04 236bhp Beast - Update: 08/05/14 - END GAME....

Baileys leak alot....if you want proper loud chatter you have to block off the dumpvalve pipes. I blocked both the blow off pipes on mine, and with a FMIC the chatter is amazing. Also with the FMIC its laggier so not gonna be boosting as much to get a loud sound from the dump valve at low revs

The chatter i dont mind. So.. with replacing the dump valve. Which i already know arn't the greatest with another brand make it dump louder?

I tried a SSQV off my friends Celica GT4 and it didn't make a difference. However, i know these are adjustable.. and he is boost at 1.1bar meaning it might of needed tweaking to work better on my setup?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have the hotpipe flange currently..

I know when i change for a short route hot pipe i'll then have nothing. So i will need to get someone welded into my piping by the inlet.

Listening to yours that's how mine sounds currently with the dump valve attached. Just faintly it will dump when at very low revs which isn't noticeable.

Back in the thread was a video i made when i first installed the DV on the standard setup. Even listening to youtube videos people have a FMIC and a dump valve and it will dump as well as chatter.. Just confused!

UPDATE;

So after i was getting annoyed with the lack of grumble and noise from the HKS Hi Silent Power exhaust. I got in touch with ol' Phil. He had a HKS unsilenced midpipe which had a new flexi welded in along with the center silencer removed. Making my exhaust a HKS Hi Power!

To my delight i got it at a reasonable price in which i was happy to pay and it took 24 hours to be delivered from Ireland to England. Which is was impressed about!

Took about 30 minutes in total to fit and replace which i was happy with. The hardest bit was battling with the de-cat and getting the 3 bolts on. Nightmare as its so tight to get a spanner to hold the nut whilst you spanner up the bolt. Hate it.

Anyway! REALLY pleased with how it sounds now! Proper jap grumble, pops a tad. But i will be buying heatwrap and doing the whole exhaust. Wanting some pops and bangs and possible little flames. Ive read that the head wrap can help with this as it keeps the exhaust hot! - We're see!

Next thing to do is paint the rocker and fit the relocation kit!

Pictureeesss;

DC7C5866-9539-44DF-9197-9393658CB8CE-896

I have had a side board thrown into my man cave which im most unpleased about!!! - This is going on GumTree ASAP as it's making doing work to the V awkward.. Look at the clearance i had!...

FE1CB963-240F-4877-9665-EF8C33B9E443-896

Also, I managed to get a Sofa to whack in the garage. So the Mrs's can not complain about having nowhere to sit!..

B6EBA2B0-AD40-4A95-B2CF-4C66733B8240-896

Loving my man cave at the moment!

Thanks for reading.

Good work mate..

Get a video up of the exhaust i have a hks hi power silent back box but a Hi power mid section,so like you it makes it a high power:)

Just want to see if the sound the same..

Good work mate..

Get a video up of the exhaust i have a hks hi power silent back box but a Hi power mid section,so like you it makes it a high power:)

Just want to see if the sound the same..

It sounds very throaty. At low RPM in gears it will pop. Going to heatwrap the full exhaust and decat to try and get some pops and bangs!

I'll do a video at a later date. My phone is horrendous. iPhone 3GS. Lost my 5C!!!! Hence why all the pictures are awful!

UPDATE 09/11/13..

So today i decided i want to do a few bits and bobs on the V.

• Fit Air Filter Relocation Kit
  • Paint Rocker Cover
  • Headwrap Exhaust

Haven't got pictures of everything, only painting the rocker really.

Was alot easier than i imagined to remove it. But prepping and removing the much was annoying. Although, it wasn't too dirty to be fair.

AF2E2F49-313F-46FD-B5B2-5F06D3C720B4-161

Engine exposed. I also whipped off the heatshield while i was at it is. Really annoyed me and i've always removed them on all my cars.

452CAA07-FF1C-4D39-952A-20C81DE2095D-161

First coat of paint using a hair dryer to help it "bake"

BF5C103D-BAA3-4B81-9FD1-53C226E6D2ED-161

Whist the rocker was drying we battled with the standard EFI pipe to remove it from the turbo housing. What a pain in the azz. Had to hack saw it in half, basically to help twist it out of the space. No idea how Toyota managed to fit this.. It BARELY had enough space to come out let alone be put on when it was built in 1998!

Got the air filter relocation kit on. Really pleased with the outcome on that.

AEFFD9BF-7593-42DB-BC28-23BA7CBECC1A-161

Excuse my "airmax" and trackies. There my car trousers when im doing stuff in the man cave.

I haven't got anymore pictures of the engine bay yet. But, really happy with how it's turning out now.

I have heatwrapped 50% of the exhaust. Still need to do the decat as well so at the moment it's not popping any differently.

Quick question; There is a VAC line which came up from the side of the cam cover. Then onto the old EFI piping. Now the EFI piping is removed i have nowhere to plum the line in? Do i just leave this? Or do i need to relocate where the pipe goes.

Hope you like the update!

My boost creep is ridiculous now. Since fitting the air filter relocation kit, it's almost undrivable.

I need to get my azz in gear and my HKS adjustable actuator and manual boost controller to lower the boost.

Especially with the cold weather and denser air at the moment!

I dont see why your efi is so hard to take off?? And neither of those things are gonna stop boost creep!! I have a hks and still creeping. And you cant set a ebc to lower than the boost its making. Unleas your setting boost below standard?

I dont see why your efi is so hard to take off?? And neither of those things are gonna stop boost creep!! I have a hks and still creeping. And you cant set a ebc to lower than the boost its making. Unleas your setting boost below standard?

It just was a pain to get pliers on the clamp loosen it.. Then slowly wiggle it off. We got there after 20 minutes of fathing around. Bearing in mind we only took the bumper off.

I plan on fitting my HKS actuator, then setting it around 0.4/0.5bar, with the creep HOPEFULLY it'll stay under fuel cut. Hopefully with the manual boost controller added, it may help the boost. We're see!

But it's just to get by until January/Febuary time then I'll go TD04 and be done with these pony CT9's!

Yours is a similar spec to mine I think, is your creep awful? I can be in 5th half throttle an it'll shoot up so quick. It was freezing this evening and I was on a dual carriage way so air is going to be rushing in! Just a pain in the azz. I should've done things in different. Lowering boost first etc!

You live and learn! But still love the car to bits!

Leave it to atmosphere mate if you block it off it won't boost :)

It would still boost, but your engine wouldn't last all that long. It's a breather line not a vac pipe.

Edit - just seen you may be talking about something else...apologies

Edited by RobSR

It would still boost, but your engine wouldn't last all that long. It's a breather line not a vac pipe.

Edit - just seen you may be talking about something else...apologies

It's a little metal pipe that comes up beside the Campbell cover. When the old EFI pipe was in place it would connect just below the standard recirculating valve via a little piece?

So i haven't had an update for awhile.

Having severe boost creep. If i floor it boost will stabilize at around 0.8bar, within miliseconds it will hit cut as it creeps quickly.
So im stuck driving like a Nan at the moment. Which is fine, i don't race around anyway. But onto dual carriageways is a nightmare as i can't overtake really.. I'm pretty much stuck behind the car in front it takes an eternity to boost past someone on less than half throttle constantly watching my boost gauge which is dangerous in itself!

I want to TD04 in the early part of the new year. So spending money on the CT9 setup seems wasted to me and money not well spent. So it basically leaves me in a difficult situation as to where i go from here engine wise.

I am contemplating porting the actuator, but i have never done anything of such before and im worried i may damage the turbo which will be another big ballache.

I don't want to buy a ported one.. because it entails spending money on the CT9 setup. I refuse to buy a FCD as it's dangerous without my fueling setup correctly, and that will cost a fair amount to get it done by a tuner!.. So as you can see im stumped where to go from here..

Not at my whits end, but im just annoying/confused/pissed about the situation. It's only my fault for doing all the breathing mods and didn't take into consideration the negatives from it all!

Edited by Zeldoz

In other news;

Just order;

4x OEM Quality Pads - Courtesy of ID-Workz

Going to be fitting these probably at the weekend as mine are suffering badly. Never done it before, so it's all new to me! Want to learn as i can save a fortune by learning myself!