Lewis's 98 Spec TD04 236bhp Beast - Update: 08/05/14 - END GAME....

Hi Guys/Girls,

i couldn't not make a build thread. Been a forum lurker for years. Owned a Starlet sportif Glanza replica a few years ago. I loved it, couldn't fault the car at all!

31ceec0f.jpg

From there i wanted to test this VTEC itch i'd had for a long time. I decided on an EP3 Type-R..

MainPicture_zpsddd4103f.jpg

Cannot fault this car in anyway. Performance, looks, economy, interior. Loved it. But, i got bored and wanting something different! The dark side always said "Buy a V" as i always regretted not following through with my conversion plans on the replica.

Anyway, So made the 2 hour trip yesterday to Essex. Viewed a 98 Spec, 1A0 Silver V. 1 UK Owner since 2009. 81,000 the best part. 81,000KM!!

Had a 1 year old HKS Silent Hi-Power, which looks new as its been covered for 2 years on there driveway! Added bonus.. had original starlet mats, and JDM flare which i may sell.

He also threw in a HKS Catchcan and a HKS adjustable actuator. - Free goodies that i was going to buy!

Anyway, here's what she looks like.

2CEB1916-94E0-4FEB-9E5A-377F977187FD-329

C473F442-B741-4D4C-A8F8-6B2641D9A335-329

1D2EFAF1-5689-4EB0-8AA5-B8621DC49F4C-329

2BED3F3A-7D1F-4296-B0FC-C200910CD0CB-329

7ED30A6D-7207-448D-A642-4FDABB7D602D-329

Thanks

Edited by Zeldoz
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. He described it pretty spot on.. bar 1 little mark on the rear bumper which i knocked another £100 off. I felt like i mugged him! But it was SORN for 2 years.. it needed a loving home!

I will get the optional lips, that's something i have missed. Along with a duck tale rear spoiler!

Damn that's soo fresh an untouched

Thank you buddy! - So pleased i managed to get a literally bog standard one! Bar the HKS Silent Hi Power! which is brand new.. its too quite for me though so will be selling that once I've bought something louder.

Good clean example matey.. if you don't mind me asking how much did you take her for ?

£1970..

He also gave me a brand new HKS adjustable actuator & brand new HKS catch can!

Edited by Zeldoz

That looks like a minter mate!

Thank you!

Just managed to source another brand new baileys dump valve of a friend whos forging his evo to 750bhp. His old was was unneeded £10.. LOVE IT.

Just managed to fit that, will get some pictures in the morning. Sounds quite good, and for £10 i cant complain!

Thanks guys! Really happy with it!

So, i got around to fitting the dumpvalve last night. £10 for a Baileys which looked brand new. Suprised at how loud it was on a standard car. So i rolled her into my garage as it was pouring with rain outside and i needed shelter!

B4D9FEE6-CD24-4CA7-8F5F-5E756B999E83-523

Then the fitting begun, I thought it would actually take longer, but turns out it was a 5 minute job. Making the hoses nice and neat was the longest part of the job really.

Then for the test drive!

th_7CF20655-0EDB-41B8-8E6E-6265ECB99045-

Loved it! Rather loud and that was'nt on full boost as you can see just driving around obiding the law!

Tonight if the weather holds out ill be changing the oil in her and fitting a air filter out with the airbox. Hopefully that'll create some chatter!

So last night, i decided to treat it to some fresh oil. Dumped the old black stuff out and in went the new oil!

Hasn't been changed in awhile it was just black! Engine is almost silent on idle all you can hear is the faint rumble of the HKS.

Also whipped out the OEM airbox unit and replaced it with a cone air filter. Made a big improvement over CT9. It seems to spool slightly faster and i can hear it alot louder from the cockpit.

My decat should also turn up soon, and i will be putting that on. What's the best plan of action for fitting the decat? Is it a complete front bumper of job, or is it possible with a jack and everything still in place?...

i did mine with a jack and everything in place...it was possible, but a pain in the arse. Quite alot of awkward bolts to get to on the cat. I'd recommend taking the radiator out for easier access, would have saved me time.

i did mine with a jack and everything in place...it was possible, but a pain in the arse. Quite alot of awkward bolts to get to on the cat. I'd recommend taking the radiator out for easier access, would have saved me time.

How easy is the radiator to take out? Just remove the two pipes, i havent had a close inspection at the brackets holding it in place really?

I need to do a coolant flush and whack some antifreeze in anyway so radiator out wouldn't be too much bother in that sense.

Radiator is really easy. Two 10 or 12mm bolts on the slam panel which removes both brackets. Then all you do is remove both pipes and give it a tug and it should pop out. I'd suggest you removed it outside and not in a garden as The waters nasty depending on when is was last topped up or changed

Radiator is really easy. Two 10 or 12mm bolts on the slam panel which removes both brackets. Then all you do is remove both pipes and give it a tug and it should pop out. I'd suggest you removed it outside and not in a garden as The waters nasty depending on when is was last topped up or changed

It's more simple than i imagined then! Thanks!

Octobers shopping list;

- Front mount intercooler

- Air filter relocation kit

- 15' Rota Grids

- 195,45,15 or 195,50,15 (Opinions?)

- Coilovers or LOW Springs

- HKS Unsilenced centre pipe

- Flat Wiper Blades

- HID's

- Tint Fog Lights

What do you think? All will be bought on payday.

Some big updates to come..

So over the last few evenings I have been doing odds and sods to the car.

Gave it an oil change. Old stuff wasnt the nicest colours, fresh oil and it's definitely made a difference.

The main update is I fitted a CT9 Decat. What a pain to fit. Really, I hated every minute of it.

I decided that I would leave everything in place, that was my main mistake! Not enough access, just make it awkward and annoying to tighten the bolts to the decent amount.

Anyway! Got there in the end, happy with the result, made a massive difference in spool time and the sound is MUCH louder.

6797FF1C-D6A4-407B-B0CA-99CB39333499-206

I also had some old anodised nuts and washers from my old type-r I bought but never fitted. Decided to give it a go in the glanza. Really liked the outcome;

7B9903C6-BE78-4BF7-A938-E90F61447C61-206

Gave the engine bay a massive clean. I cant express how rust free it is! So clean, and I plan to keep it that way!

387E0717-B0C7-46E8-8257-E64324554E7A-206

More updates to follow!