being tempted by cheapy chinese forged conrods, what do peeps make of them?

I've been looking around ebay as normal, and stumbled across an advert for some forged conrods that seems too good to be true, though it talks the talk about their construction. i was wondering if anyone on here has already taken the plunge on these, or had any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Toyota-5EFE-connecting-rod-rods-Con-rod-Conrod-conrods-pleuel-Bielle-muk-new-/221477926800?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33911cf790

lol so much hate in the space of ten mins lol. i have a set of fhe rods that look pretty beefy, but arnt particularly well machined lol, they're pretty rough looking. the chinese jobs were so cheap i thought id see if i could get some insight into them from someone on here lol.

I'd use the max speeding rods on the first ad no prob.

Have done in the past and others in NI also without issue.

Highest hp on a bone stock td04 at 1bar was set using these.

Took the revs no problems

Phil

Quimby I had a fake wastegate to get me by on a build once (didn't buy it as fake but it was subtlety noticeable in build quality although a good quality for a taiwan special (not special fried rice))... it worked and very well... but I'd never reccommend one over a genuine unit.

Saving a few pennies will cost you a few pounds eventually.

If I was after conrods it would be pauters

In all seriousness if a rod fails it could cost you an engine and probably the turbo aswell, for that reason its not worth it imo.

When it comes to things like this tried and tested is always better and quality control is in place for a reason.

But then again they could be absolutely bang on.

oh no, interwebs arguements lol. im pretty sure my fhe rods are worth more than those chinese jobs. i have a set of nearly new je pistons i picked up for like 250, such a budget build

Turbo topz, there are differents of quality, depends on where you buy them.

They often have 3 differents quality.

Chops, yes yes, you try boost 33psi on those fhe rods, i dare you

Im planning do a kind of response machine, sort of rally engine style. huge compression ratio, compound charged with a clutched mini supercharger so i can change how it behaves as im driving, heaps of torque all over the rev range. rolling around town getting resonable economy one min and destroying the odd audi tt or whatever the next lol.

Edited by Chops

Im planning do a kind of response machine, sort of rally engine style. huge compression ratio, compound charged with a clutched mini supercharger so i can change how it behaves as im driving, heaps of torque all over the rev range. rolling around town getting resonable economy one min and destroying the odd audi tt or whatever the next lol.

If your serious about it I'd be looking at a more serious engine.

If your serious about it I'd be looking at a more serious engine.

why? i know the 5e isnt the perfect base engine, being never even designed to be dohc in the first place, but i dont think it would take that much to have a build like what im proposing work. as a plater fabricator by trade, i can make the physical parts of the build id need such as all the custom manifolds and what not myself. The idea comes from a dude on the micra sports club forums doing a compound charged build on a k11 cg13de, its not an impossible build by any means. my biggest worry is how ill get an ecu to fuel it.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/porkstar5000/Snapbucket/7564E287_zpsfa32bd58.jpg

Edited by Chops

I meant the engine spec I'd be looking for something future proofed in terms of your goals.

The ideas you have aren't impossible whatsoever and it's great to see someone looking to do something more unique.

I just think with the plans you have a higher 'stage' engine if you like would be more applicable especially if you want to see the gains which are likely attainable with your build plans.

P.s.

I can see some similarities with that micra engine and a 4/5ef* engine mounts not a million miles different and the intake looks like an efe manifold. Probably more but I'm tired.

That is an efe engine, came off a 2e i believe, and was shut to fit, micra manis have the throttle body on top. bullet proof engines, chain driven all alu design. as for stage of engine build, i plan to do a extensive rework of my 5e, its not going in till this time next year due to insurance and the cost and time needed for the build. im porting and polishing the heads currently, ittle also receive a 3 angle valve job from my local machine shop, a set of fte valvesprings i have to hand, fhe cams if i can find a set that isnt being sold by a right greedy bugger, a sizable skim, new valve stem oil seals i have here, brand new full gasket set, decked block, je 74.5 oversize forged pistons, fhe/whatever rods, all new bearings, possibly knife edged crank, oversized headstuds and a load of other shit im too tired to remember. thats the planned spec, that a high enough 'stage' engine for you, turbo tobz? :p