New 2014 nissan pulsar Turbo..... come on toyota

what the hell is going on we were promised a new yaris turbo in 2014 and a GT86 convertible, it looks like the FT1 (New Supra) may never come out, all the meanwhile Toyota is being left behind by every other Jap car maker.

Akio Toyoda promised die hard Toyota fans that he wasn't gonna make boring cars anymore and wanted to get back to there motorsports roots what a load of crap even an uprated engine has been promised for the GT86 MKII but nothing

even Nissan is releasing the all new Nissan Pulsar Turbo or Nismo Edition

nissan-pulsar-nismo-1_zps15a22a85.jpg

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/141524/new-nissan-pulsar-price-specs-release-date

Edited by russ78

Had a look at that nissan thing the other day on the topgear website, looks good.

Toyota were at their peak in the 90s, endless list of great cars, supra, celica, mr2, corolla levin, chaser, mk2, aristo and our starlets. Prob others on that list aswell. Cant ever see it being that good again sadly :/

supra - FT1

celica/mr2 - Rumoured in prototype stages

corolla - Replaced by auris

starlet - Replaced by Yaris

so really there is so much potential already there but just nothing is in production yet....

Akio Toyoda promised die hard Toyota fans that he wasn't gonna make boring cars anymore and wanted to get back to there motorsports roots what a load of crap even an uprated engine has been promised for

That was made up by someone. I remeber reading it and hoping but it ended up being a fake story.

that pulsar looks shit imo. Its far to close to a nissan juke slower than the old one and just too girly looking. Modern hot hatches have gone down hill. hot hatches were never made to be comfortable and luxurious

like it alot.

the jap hatches need to get back in on the action.

obviously not as light or raw as the original, but a mk7 golf R is clearly nothing like a mk1/2 golf, but at least they are still being made.

This pulsar will probably be safely tuned on stock stuff to 350+hp

its still cool even if it aint turbo tin can mental.

Phil

Most modern cars a fecking horrible, fact.

90s car's are by far the best looking and in alot of cases perform better.

that pulsars wack.

true but they wont last forever... sooner or later we all have to except current styling of cars nowdays as much as it pains me to say :sad:

Most modern cars a fecking horrible, fact.

Thats definitely your opinion! Even a Jap head with old school tendancies has to embrace the new!! Starlets where new fangled once!

90s car's are by far the best looking and in alot of cases perform better.

Some are good looking, some perform better, plenty of dirty tat in there too, and even cars we love, are awful looking aesthetically.

that pulsars wack.

wack. well i dont know if thats good or bad!

One thing is for sure its looks interesting and the the recent Nissan offerings are to go by it will outperform the original pulsar on every level despite the extra weight.

drivetrain i havent seen confirmed though.

Phil

Thats definitely your opinion! Even a Jap head with old school tendancies has to embrace the new!! Starlets where new fangled once!

Some are good looking, some perform better, plenty of dirty tat in there too, and even cars we love, are awful looking aesthetically.

wack. well i dont know if thats good or bad!

One thing is for sure its looks interesting and the the recent Nissan offerings are to go by it will outperform the original pulsar on every level despite the extra weight.

drivetrain i havent seen confirmed though.

Phil

Thats the biggest issue weight...its not gonna have the performance of the gtir because of that. Yeh it'll be comfy, more modcons and more reliable and have a bit of poke...but nothings really setting it outside from most modern diesels

Thats the biggest issue weight...its not gonna have the performance of the gtir because of that. Yeh it'll be comfy, more modcons and more reliable and have a bit of poke...but nothings really setting it outside from most modern diesels

Weight isn't really a big issue in terms of handling ability because suspension design has come on leaps and bounds. I'm not saying that weight reduction doesn't help, of course it does, but when you compare a 20 year old Pulsar to a more modern hot hatch it would be left behind even if the weights are 1200kg and 1400kg respectively. The old Pulsar was quite a fat bastard at 1230kg because of the heft 4wd system and many new modern hot hatches are around this sort of weight even with all the extra safety equipment anf electrical goodies because more plastics and other lightweight materials are being used to manufacture vehicles.

Edited by AdamB

Weight isn't really a big issue in terms of handling ability because suspension design has come on leaps and bounds. I'm not saying that weight reduction doesn't help, of course it does, but when you compare a 20 year old Pulsar to a more modern hot hatch it would be left behind even if the weights are 1200kg and 1400kg respectively. The old Pulsar was quite a fat bastard at 1230kg because of the heft 4wd system and many new modern hot hatches are around this sort of weight even with all the extra safety equipment anf electrical goodies because more plastics and other lightweight materials are being used to manufacture vehicles.

Handling yeh. I'd put money on the new pulsar weighing close to 1.5tonnes..look at the size of the thing, as i said its almost a juke. Be good to see if someone does a comparison of the two

Tbf modern hot hatches are probably a lot quicker than the old ones. Especially on track. Look at the leon cupra R, megane 280r and 2015 civic type R. Theyre all fwd hot hatches batting on or bettering 8minute laps at the nurburg thats nearly the same as an Nsx-r and a f430 f1 and even quicker than a R33 gtr!

Tbf modern hot hatches are probably a lot quicker than the old ones. Especially on track. Look at the leon cupra R, megane 280r and 2015 civic type R. Theyre all fwd hot hatches batting on or bettering 8minute laps at the nurburg thats nearly the same as an Nsx-r and a f430 f1 and even quicker than a R33 gtr!

everythings about how quick it gets round the track these days, rather drive a fun car then something thats 90% car 10% driver

everythings about how quick it gets round the track these days, rather drive a fun car then something thats 90% car 10% driver

Yeah i completely agree lap times are all well and good but its not the ne all and end all. Id rather a car felt crazy fast but wasnt than one that was quick but felt dull, boring and slow (vw are a prime example)

Yeah i completely agree lap times are all well and good but its not the ne all and end all. Id rather a car felt crazy fast but wasnt than one that was quick but felt dull, boring and slow (vw are a prime example)

So a car that gives a big punch in the back must be fast right?

Take something like the Corvette ZR1, has 640bhp but does that mean its slower than what a 640bhp Subaru would be? Or slower than a 640bhp Skyline?

That's the great thing about wide torque curves it doesn't feel like your going fast until you look down at the speedo, its those cars that make driving fun because they are smoother and easier to drive unlike driving a 600bhp Subaru that actually only has 600bhp and like 400 ft/lbs for like 300rpm, and if your competitive racing you would have to be a damn good driver to keep the engine operating in the area of peak power.

That's the great thing about wide torque curves it doesn't feel like your going fast until you look down at the speedo, its those cars that make driving fun because they are smoother and easier to drive [\quote]

I'd disagree for me its the feel of actually going fast. A lad local to me has a done up focus rs and driving its dull as hell cornering at 80s the same at cornering at 30 so what's the point in doing the 80?.

Yea fair enough if were talking f1 cars were its a proper race were first place is all that matters. But this topics based on wee hot hatches designed for blasting round the back roads giving you a big smile factor.

Your more than welcome to have a super smooth drive and enjoy feeling your doing 20mph while kicking the arse out it at 80 but if am going out to drive fast I want that feeling you get when your pushed back in your seat and power though corners.

So a car that gives a big punch in the back must be fast right?

Take something like the Corvette ZR1, has 640bhp but does that mean its slower than what a 640bhp Subaru would be? Or slower than a 640bhp Skyline?

That's the great thing about wide torque curves it doesn't feel like your going fast until you look down at the speedo, its those cars that make driving fun because they are smoother and easier to drive unlike driving a 600bhp Subaru that actually only has 600bhp and like 400 ft/lbs for like 300rpm, and if your competitive racing you would have to be a damn good driver to keep the engine operating in the area of peak power.

Not necessarily. You can have a 150hp car that 'feels' quick. the sence of speed can be dictated by vibrations, sounds, the general conectivity from the car.

Modern cars feel numb and false due to over packing with mod cons and comfort features so to have a quick car you need bags of power. They even put speakers in to give you engine sound because of all of this.

I think youre overcomplicating my view on things tbh im really not talking about big power cars. Im talking day to day hot hatches now vs the 90's or 80's.

All of todays hot hatches have to be manageable as a daily. Back in the 80's they were proper hot hatches and would try and kill you in an instand. But by todays standards theyre slow.

R5 gtt 120hp 850kgs? mk1 golf gti 110hp sub 900kgs? Corolla gt 120hp 900kgs rs turbo 130hp 950kgs.

All chucking out 130-140hp/t but have a history of being lary and leathal.

Now rs focus 325hp 1400kgs? leon R 280hp 1380kgs megane 280r 1300kgs golf gti 300hp 1350kgs

160+ hp/t All perfectly managable daily cars that youve no issue driving 100's of miles in. Vxrs are about the only car out of all the modern hot hatches where people go wow now theyre a bit sketchy theyre all over the road on boost lol

Edited by morgey