ep91 n/a brake upgrade question

think my servo is knackered, making a noise from the inside of servo when i press the pedal and brake pedal is a bit spongy and foot travels all the way down then locks the brakes. just fitted glanza calipers and discs and made sure they were all working before install.

only noticed the noise when me and a pal were bleeding the brakes

as shaun said, the carriers are different.

you can get starlet brake parts second hand on ebay if you do find servos dead.

morgey thats not correct dude.i have a sportif with rear disc conversion and never done that.brakings fine and never had an issue

Got a question about the rears. I swapped my drum axle to a Paseo disc yesterday, bolted on fine, but the E-brake is stiff as (I adjusted it at the lever after the swap), it's harder than with drums to pull up, it holds, but doesn't really stop the car if I rip it while rolling, let alone block the wheels... Why? I never had a caliper mounted e-brake before, did I miss something?

Ha welcom to disc brakes! You will never have a hand brake that holds propely again!!😄 the bias valves are different for discs on the rear as disc brakes need a lot more pressure to get the same clamping force as a drum achieves due to the way they clamp the disc rather than wedging into a drum. Thats also why drum hand brakes are so much better there jammed into the drum hence why you have a leading and trailing shoe.

• 1 month later...

Drum brakes are more effective than rear discs...but the discs won't overheat. Most cars have to shift the bias to the rear if they have discs instead of drums. BUT...if you HAD drums but changed to discs you'll get a shift to the front as a result, which is what you want if you've got more grip (bigger/stickier tyres).

The one I would really avoid is fitting drums to a disc-rear car (luckily no-one wants to), as you'll have waaaay too much rear bias and will be sideways into every corner! :D

Interesting read this.

I was considering upgrading the rear axle to a Glanza one. What other options are there?

Are there any aftermarket options out there?

I personally think, aesthetically the rear disc are much more appealing, especially if updating the front.

For those wanting to uprate the rear shoes, PMU ones are available from Japan.