I bought a japspeed exhaust of a guy off here a while ago only got it fit lastnight no problems at all. This morning my partner took my car to work with him and put his foot down in 3rd and it hit limp mode for a few seconds and the management light came on, sorted itself out after a few seconds and then was fine.

Will this just be my ecu getting use to it or is there a problem? Just looking for advice as this is my first car just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem, thanks.

Might be worth just disconnecting the battery, letting any charge drain down (so turn the lights on with the battery disconnected). Leave it a few minutes. Then reconnect. And drive it softly for a few miles through the rev range. And seeing if you can replicate the symptons.

Sounds like fuel cut. It's quite savage when it kicks in. Let alone alarming.

Have you got a boost gauge plumbed in? Is the boost going off the charts.

Just keep an eye on out on stuff. Also tell your partner to stop ramping your car lol!

Might be worth just disconnecting the battery, letting any charge drain down (so turn the lights on with the battery disconnected). Leave it a few minutes. Then reconnect. And drive it softly for a few miles through the rev range. And seeing if you can replicate the symptons.

Sounds like fuel cut. It's quite savage when it kicks in. Let alone alarming.

Have you got a boost gauge plumbed in? Is the boost going off the charts.

Just keep an eye on out on stuff. Also tell your partner to stop ramping your car lol!

No boost gauge yet gonna get like a pillar pod one eventually car only got here in February from Japan so still deciding what to do but I'll defiantly give that battery thing a try tonight thank you for that 😊 oh I know he has an evo so when he rang me earlier and said 'an mr2 turbo tried to race me in your car' my poor baby lol :-(!

Wouldn't even bother with the FCD they are a disaster waiting to happen need to take mine off but got mine set to 12 at the moment so it's not doing anything, what actuator you got on, you really need a good boost gauge ASAP see what's going on, I could be wrong here but why am I thinking boost creep as fuel cut is around 0.85 bar

fcd is a bad idea as above it just clamps the signal and has no adjustment in fueling results in throwing rods and all that nasty stuff,

Imo put your money into an adjustable actuator and boost gauge and turn down the boost till you can afford management or P&P

Edited by russ78

FCD make the car run lean, when fitted you need a FPR and it to be set up on a dyno.

Id just say clear.

Also you might find you still get boost creep to fuel cut level even after an adjustable actuator is fitted and the boost wound down. Its just shitty CT9 turbo design, they dont regulate boost very well, internal gate penny is too small. You can try port it out if you still get trouble with it down the line.

The other week Daniel when I got my wideband fitted I was adjusting the fpr, up and down the duel carriage way stop start stop start, had it set to 8 on the FCD and had to put the fpr up to 3.1 bar to get fuelling right but thought that's way to high so in the end just switched it to 12 now I get 11.5 ish at wot which I thought was spot on just thought the FCD is too much hassle

The other week Daniel when I got my wideband fitted I was adjusting the fpr, up and down the duel carriage way stop start stop start, had it set to 8 on the FCD and had to put the fpr up to 3.1 bar to get fuelling right but thought that's way to high so in the end just switched it to 12 now I get 11.5 ish at wot which I thought was spot on just thought the FCD is too much hassle

3.1 is probably about right for around 1bar, better to be a bit on the richer side.

I cant say anthing i melted a fuckin piston, but there was no FCDs involved in my case just old injectors!

Thanks for the advice guys, if I was to get an adjustable actuator what would people recommend or can be used? Thanks :-)

If getting one go for a new one, some of the HKS ones you can buy used are probably just as old as the standard one on the car.

Think TD do an adjustable actuator.

Im not 100% its gonna solve the hitting fuel cut issue but its a safer option than a FCD

HKS or a Tuning developments adjustable actuator and set the spring to .7 bar and your fuel cut issue should disappear. When the boost creeps to .85 bar you will hit fuel cut. As soon as you add new breathing mods to a starlet running the small but brilliant ct9 it begins to creep and hit fuel cut. Not a nice feeling.

If getting one go for a new one, some of the HKS ones you can buy used are probably just as old as the standard one on the car.

Think TD do an adjustable actuator.

Im not 100% its gonna solve the hitting fuel cut issue but its a safer option than a FCD

Thanks :-) suppose can only buy one and try it lol. Would you say I'm still okay to drive my car aslong as not hitting boost? I'm gonna get the boost gauge out my partners evo tomorrow so will see about that aswell lol

hks actuator ive one on mine at the minute ive a few other mods aswell though full exhaust system decat but ive a fuel cut defender fitted car is running spot on but after hearing about these fcd messing things up I might just take it out