Project Midnight-136

Nicky Sixx's P-Spec Glanza V

Right then folks!

It's time I started a build thread after owning the car for a year now!

Ever since I was 9 years old, I wanted a Glanza V, I was walking up my road, when one shot past me,

chattering away, it was from that moment onwards I knew I needed one in my life, I became OBSESSED with them!

My first ever go in one was when I was 16, a former member of UKSO had one & the feeling of being in one was immense.

So I turned 18, and I decided it was time to buy a V...

I searched around, and fell upon a DOG of one at a fairly cheap price!

But there was reasoning for it being cheap, I'll get to that as we go along...

I went to view the car with a friend, a car enthusiast I've known for many years through my dad, I managed to get the price down, and finally! I owned the car of my dreams! I knew a long road lay ahead of me, but I was willing to put hours and hard earned cash into the car, nothing was going to stop me owning my childhood dream.

Here she is! Litterelly hours after I bought her!

post-12376-0-64544900-1438545893_thumb.j

She was imported in 2007 and has being through various ammounts of owners since with only 51000 miles on the clock!

I decided to start of by getting used to the car, not modifying anything yet,vault just getting used to the feel of the car, how it handles etc.

I was in love with it, I finally had my dream car, it didn't seem real to me, just felt completely fake! But the worst was to come...

I was out one night at clu bet park with some mates, having a BBQ, on the way back we was all convoying along down a dual carriageway, a lorry was coming up so I decided to downgear from 5th to 4th and I started to man over around the lorry, as soon as the car hit 4500rpm, the bottom end of the engine decided it was better off to not work how it should... The car cut out and I managed to pull over to the side of the road, I tried to start the engine and it wouldn't go, managed to get a tow home by my cousin, I was panicking, my dream was ending quickly....

I started up the car in the morning, to discover it was knocking like a bitch, so I managed to get it to Sheffield Subaru Services who took it from there, the engine was sent to Sheffield Engines Services for a rebuild, which took them 5 months to rebuild:@

I got the car back eventually to discover that two conrods had being bent, all the shells had being abliterated, and the crank needed a regrind.

I supplied the garage with a Speed Vision CT9 Hybrid, a new exhaust manifold (cheap toyo sports one)

I was told to bed in the engine for 1000 miles, spinning only 3000rpm and to THEN change the oil & filter.

600 miles in, the same happened again, I was distraught, the engine went back and I had to supply a crankshaft & new rods. The engine builders claimed hat the engine had failed due to borewash and wasn't their fault, so I had the injectors tested along with the fuel rail, and as soon as I got the car back I had a fuelling check done by GR Performance, who confirmed that a borewash couldn't have being possible. Still an ongoing battle with them as I'm refusing to pay for the second rebuild after it was their fault. I'm not going to get into details as quite frankly, I'm doing his on my IPad and I can't be bothered aha!

I get the car onto my drive, move the polo up the garden to put the Glanza up the garden where I could work on it. Soon as I turned the key, the gearbox mount broke loose & pulled a piece out of the casing, leaving a trail of oil down the drive, this car was turning into a nightmare! The garage hadn't fitted the box back right, so it went back the following day to put in a 5E Corolla box!

post-12376-0-41278200-1438547291_thumb.j

So, I get the car back in January, and it was time to get it looking decent for Japfest, I was off work with a re occurring dislocating shoulder so there was plenty of time to get the car ready!

The spec stands as follows at this point:

Fresh Rebuilt 4E-FTE

Speed Vision CT9 Hybrid

Toyo sports Manifold

Toyota Corolla Gearbox

Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust System

Black Racing Wheels

Toyota Celica Buckets

Cusco Rear Strut

WhiteLine RARB

HKS FCD

Race-Tech Water Temp Gauge

Twin Gauge Pillar

Boost & Voltage Gauge

Momo Steering Wheel

Golpher Radiator

Samco Sport Hoses

Unknown FPR

Stripped A/C

I decided to start work on fixing the drivers side window, it was stuck and non operative,

I managed to pick up a window motor from drongo and fitted it the following weekend!

I could now breathe on hot sunny days! XD

I decided to strip out the rear interior & seat belts because, you know, race car!

I needed to smarten up the car as it was a complete dog, so I removed the fish netting off the headlamps, sprayed the strut bar under the bonnet, along with the scoop & battery clamp.

I desperately needed new HT Leads, so I placed an order for some magnacore Blue Leads.

After polishing the rocker cover, tonnes of engine degreaser & fitting the freshly spray parts, and a new battery, the bay looked like this:

post-12376-0-76666500-1438548169_thumb.j

Not bad eh!

A good polish was in order, as The V started to look cream! I was astonished in the difference after playing around with the contrast & resolution on my phone, the difference was astonishing!

post-12376-0-35097700-1438548282_thumb.j

I also re sprayed the front and rear bumpers as they were looking tatty, the V was starting to look the point now!

Until... I was out one night with the lads, we was doing a bit of spirited driving over the snake pass, when suddenly I had a fuel leak from the fuel rail to the FPR, it ripped the paint off everything I'd sprayed, including the bumper :( I was only a week away from japfest!

post-12376-0-70395100-1438548943_thumb.j

post-12376-0-17666300-1438549145_thumb.j

Anyway I managed to re spray all the parts & the front bumper in time, rattle can expert ;-)

It comes the time for Japfest, I was so stoked, I could finally meet fellow starlet members, and show my dad exactly why I love them!

It was an early start, meeting the convoy at 2am! I have never got out of bed so quick in my life, felt like a kid on Christmas!

It was only until I got onto the motorway, the FCD went into senile mode, all the way to japfest it was sending the ECU wappy and was over fuelling to the point it was cutting out... But we made it to JapFest!

post-12376-0-11366900-1438549542.jpg

The return home was a nightmare, it took us 5 hours to complete a 3 hour journey, and despite our best efforts to remove & repair the loom at japfest, we had no luck :(

I needed to get the turbo mapped in anyway, so I took the opportunity to get the car mapped and get my hands on a boost controller! I arranged a date with Tuning Developments, And we was off!

Can't thank the Jones Brothers enough for what they've done to the car! I had an Emanage Blue & GFB Gforce 2 installed, and managed to pull 193.2 BHP with a 0.6 bar actuator spring! I was well impressed!

This has given me enough power to enjoy for the rest of the year with the car, as bigger plans are coming next year, all will be revealed at a later date!

post-12376-0-38862600-1438549899_thumb.j

post-12376-0-69748500-1438549942_thumb.j

I will be continuing other work on the car this year, and I will add to the thread when I get chance! I'm sorry it's currently brief & hat I don't have many pictures, trying to remember the basics off the top my head has being a nightmare! More details to follow!

Hope people like the direction the cars heading in, tomorrow night I'll upload more pictures of current modifications and a few special minor bits that have being changed over the weekend!

But for now, Peace!

Sixx.

Edited by Nick666Akers
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lads! Haven't you? Probably because it only comes out on weekends, and when the weathers good during the week, I'll use it for work instead of the VDub!xD

Tell me about it Matt, after all that pestering it's finally done ;-)

I've just being looking at your build thread dude, looks rad!

Evening dudes/dudeets'!

As promised, more pictures and I've decided to list a few more modifications that I forgot last night! Along with stickers, because stickers make your car go faster right?!

The make of the boost & voltage gauge are Phantom, I've never heard of them, and they're nothing like Apexi, but they're a good starting point when you're still learning!

post-12376-0-12132300-1438632479_thumb.j

Whilst building up the car ready for japfest, I also decided to purchase a Sparco wheel as the momo one was looking battered, this one has a good dish to it, making it a more comfortable car to drive! But don't worry, the momo is sat looking pretty above my desk, along with a TD04L as a mantelpiece....XD

post-12376-0-74503300-1438632740_thumb.j

Over the weekend, I was over at drongo's for a natter among other car enthusiasts, we decided to swap the cop holder in mine for his electric mirror switch, And bingo! I now have electric mirrors, was just a matter of connecting up the connectors on the mirrors, well chuffed!

I also needed something to bung up the huge hole where the stereo sits before I get a double din, managed to bag this beauty for £2 as well from Collin (Lord Drongo)

post-12376-0-57903500-1438632973_thumb.j

post-12376-0-83248600-1438633021_thumb.j

I also have Genuine Toyota Wind Deflectors!

post-12376-0-16978800-1438633157_thumb.j

Sticker Time!!!

post-12376-0-99806900-1438633222_thumb.j

post-12376-0-61050900-1438633259_thumb.j

post-12376-0-45130000-1438633285_thumb.j

Represent????

post-12376-0-93937400-1438633319_thumb.j

post-12376-0-05128200-1438633352_thumb.j

Here, have a photo of my GFB Boost Controller!xD

post-12376-0-79309200-1438633405_thumb.j

And finally, a starlet can't be a starlet without one of these bad boys!

post-12376-0-81414500-1438633461_thumb.j

And finally, stripped out back & strut brace!

post-12376-0-67893800-1438633512_thumb.j

Nice glanza dude and in white like mine :) I can relate to how you were obsessed with glanza's from a young age as I was the same. My dad told me about the GT turbo when I was like 14 then I saw the glanza. Instantly wanted one ever since. Can't wait to see what your next mods will be.

Evening!

Decided to make a small change to the V this week, I was pushed for time, and tbh it's rubbish, but it's independent, different, so I like it xD

I decided to add a slight change to the engine bay this week, I wanted to do something that is different to other Glanzas, so, spray can at the ready, followed by plenty of masking tape!

So, I Removed the bonnet from the B, to give me more room to work with, and I couldn't help but think it looked like it was from Fast & Furious Tokyo drift, where they're building Sean's RB26'd powered Mustang, and they're testing it without the bonnet hahaha!

post-12376-0-53908900-1439143627_thumb.j

I started by degreasing the underside of the bonnet, getting Into all the small gaps in there!

I then started laying masking tape over it, the plan is to then cut out a template with a Stanley knife and go spray happy!

Can you tell what it is yet? ;-)

post-12376-0-39451000-1439143920_thumb.j

Here's the finished product! I know it's not amazing, it's shit if I'm honest haha!xD

post-12376-0-57129400-1439144314_thumb.j

But it's different, and being a goth, it's all about being different!

See you crazy motherfookers at Japfest 2!

10-4, Over & Out!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

How are we all? Hope everyone's making the most of the bank holiday weekend!

Working Monday tho, 1.5 pay so more car part funds????

Anyways thought a little update wouldn't go a miss!

The Glanza has had an injury! My poor baby!

My dad unhooked the boat off the L200, and the handbrake failed, guess what became the bump stop?

Yup, my poor starfish :(

The skeg went through the bumper & actually punched into the shell hahaha!

So, last week I placed an order for a JAM Bumper from Idrees along with a Livesports wing that's currently being made.

I picked up the bumper with my mother or in Sheffield Language "Mi Mather"

Decided to start by test fitting & drilling the bumper on Thursday, and I'm astonished with the difference it's made to the rear end! It looks so fecking evil!

post-12376-0-99788000-1440878188_thumb.j

post-12376-0-64212200-1440878229_thumb.j

The bumpers off to the paint shop with drongo on Monday so it'll be all ready for JAE!

Done a fair bit of sanding & and trimming today before I went to the tattoo studio. So excited to put the bumper on the car!

So, last night me and brother Alex (aleximport25) decided to tackle the hole in the shell, I do a fair bit of welding with my job, so we decided this would be the best option for it, but, I've never welded in a car before, or done it whilst on WB.

The welds not amazing but after some grinding and a lick of paint you won't be able to tell the difference! So me Alex, and Laura spent the rest of the night talking shit as it wasn't a huge job at all. Kudos to Alex for letting me use his welder!

post-12376-0-98921700-1440878769_thumb.j

Not a massive update but thought I'd write something up because I'm not really doing much tonight!

Peace x

• 3 weeks later...

Morning All!

An over due update is needed, work has being hectic since JAE & not had time to update!

Not much has being going off with the Glanza recently, but I got my bumper back from the paintshop just in time for JAE!

Here's how she looks now!

post-12376-0-35409500-1442912112_thumb.j

I had some issues with the gear selector as I snapped a cable on the way to work, seriously need to get the polo out of hibernation now as winter is fast approaching!

A lot of work over the course of winter is to take place, all will be revealed soon.

I'm just current debating on what route to take the engine on, I'm wanting to go with a forged build, but I'm tempted to do it myself, but yet again I'm tempted to take it somewhere to be done, I'm really unsure at the moment!

So yeah, I'm in speculation on what to do with it for best season, although I have already planned further modifications, just debating what to do with the engine as I plan on running a billet TD04 kit.

So not really an update, just sharing a slight insight into what direction I'm taking the car in for next year (hopefully forward in my opinion)xD