4EFEJay's EP91 Sprint Project

Just a thought the black wire might be if you had a passenger airbag so that you cancel out the drivers one but keeps the passengers on.

That's a good shout, it could be! The only thing that completely threw me is the fact one end of it is just stripped wire. Ah well I've not had any need for it anyway

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the car have to meet a safety standard or anything quite interested in this

It has to have an MOT, and it has to pass scrutinising on the day. But nothing major. There's also certian regs around things like if you run a cage vs not running a cage on what you can and can't do.

But its pretty open! Everything i've done so far puts me in Pro Class without a cage. Although i'll be going for a cage which then means I can remove things like door cards and trims around the driver.

Checkout the regulations on the TSS website. Although they will be updated for this year for addition of the 1.33 Class.

Black wire for the horn? 2 airbag wires and 1 horn wire usually go through the airbag clock spring,so you would need to replace the horn wire if you remove the entire clock spring assembly. Assuming you needed a horn?

Edited by Sudden

Black wire for the horn? 2 airbag wires and 1 horn wire usually go through the airbag clock spring,so you would need to replace the horn wire if you remove the entire clock spring assembly. Assuming you needed a horn?

Actually that's an even better point! I may have to take a look at mine at some point as I still haven't wired my horn up yet

i was on there last night and gutted they've scrapped the Barton heath round as that was right near me. I'm not near any of the events :(

Yeah, Barkston heath became bit of a problem as ti was an active airbase and we would never book with confidence the day we were using it, it would be shut for some military training or something! It was also a crazy tight circuit!

Your closest one is probably Snetterton then? Which will be the best this year as its the last one which includes the big party final event! Usually involves a fair bit of drinking (After the racing of course) and a massive laugh!

i went to Barkston a couple of times in the GT4- not to compete but just to watch. Went out on track in a friends GT4 though :) was tight and the track was really rough. I'm not in lincolnshire anymore as i've had to move down near Andover for work but am back in Lincs now and again.

Edited by Pikey009
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a big update as not been around for a while and managed to get a fair bit done over the weekend.

Worked on the car pretty much flat out last weekend.

Got all the suspension on and fitted. BC BR Series with custom 4kg / 4kg spring rates.

18FC7334-AB5D-4474-B5C0-1543A79889CC_zps

All went to plan and no major Pain in the ass moments. Other than trying to get the old bolts off! Most of them were rusted on to a point of never moving again! Lots of heat, release spray and leverage! Eventually got them off and the new ones going on was easy.

3B446204-E714-48B6-8993-B2724A5C8F73_zps

B82342A1-D9CE-499E-A5FC-D3638A2C50A6_zps

59A6DE19-6037-4A0F-A17E-2B9F9B9A1953_zps

Havn't gone crazy with the lowering it as didn't want to upset the geometry too much and havn't fitted an adjustable pan hard rod yet. Kept it to a max of 20mm drop. Slightly lower on the front to give the car a rake to try get rid of some understeer.

Its booked into Fensport on the 24th March for full alignment, corner balance and brake lines, discs and pads to be fitted.

Also removed the head lining as it was losing me around 1.5 inch head room when wearing a crash helmet. And weight saving of course!

And since fitting the Removable steering wheel the horn didn't work. So had to move it to a dedicated button on the dash, mainly for MOT reasons.

A111F754-5FBC-4D3D-AAF2-FB6D3A905B16_zps

Removed the passenger door car and replaced with plastic to comply to regs. Was surprised at how much weight there was in the door cards and arm rests! Still in progress, waiting for the resin to dry and then will trim to the door size.

1DD531B7-52F6-443E-8BD3-E5E5102E4964_zps

Pretty much ready to go now. Just need tyres. (If anyone wants to sponsor me a set of tyres i'd be grateful! :D )

Pair of Sparco boots ordered too.

EC14917A-8D25-4E63-B63F-F30102AD74DD_zps

Took it for a quick test drive, all seemed fine but going to wait until Fensport do their magic with alignment and corner balancing before I really give it some testing!

All 3 of my cars parked up:

Daily, weekend and track :)

0C2693F4-75CB-4C46-9F4F-441580585627_zps

Nice updates mate coilovers make a huge difference! But wow your gt86 is mint! Would love one of those someday too young for one now unfortunately :(

Yeah, I think the coilovers will be the biggest improvement. I'm going for handling and braking to win! Rather than out right power. Idea of this project is to get better at driving, not rely on loads of power.

Thanks for the GT86 love! :give_rose: It's a fantastic car! Unfortunately worth a little too much to me to track and risk! And with all the mods i've done i'd be too upset if I lost it! And never think you're too young! :D They'll also drop in price over the next couple of years! Just don't start modifying them! That's an expensive game. :sad:

Yeah, I think the coilovers will be the biggest improvement. I'm going for handling and braking to win! Rather than out right power. Idea of this project is to get better at driving, not rely on loads of power.

Thanks for the GT86 love! :give_rose: It's a fantastic car! Unfortunately worth a little too much to me to track and risk! And with all the mods i've done i'd be too upset if I lost it! And never think you're too young! :D They'll also drop in price over the next couple of years! Just don't start modifying them! That's an expensive game. :sad:

A few years to save for one lol! Absolutely love the gt86! Haven't seen one that looks as mean as yours though!

A few years to save for one lol! Absolutely love the gt86! Haven't seen one that looks as mean as yours though!

Mines one of the only few Red TRD ones in the UK. The TRD helps a lot, and then the addition of 18" black wheels on lowered coilovers is mean. :p

Oh right! Should upload some more photos of it mate? Would love too see

Ok, if you're interested. Didn't wanna come over here and take over with GT86 stuff :) I'll get a collection of pics and put them in one post for anyone interested. Can add me on FB too if you're interested. /jayashleysmith

Agree mate saw it at goodwood too. Anyone seen the 'griffon' project? Just google image it and listen to the thing on YouTube. Not sure if they've touched the engine now but originally it had extensive handling, brake and aero mods to get the lap times down

A2A49E41-321A-43B3-9F94-74729E7ED81D.jpg

7A430FC3-AA24-4D1D-868B-9951AA226A4F.jpg

Edited by Pikey009

Yeah the griffon is nice! Although never seemed to reach sale. As with all Manufacture 'go faster' departments the extras are silly prices! I managed to convince Toyota GB to let me do a one off red TRD and they were only ever letting black and white ones into the country.

Also unfortunatly none of the special editions or projects had any major engine work. A couple had high flow exhausts and oil cooler for track sessions but all had the 200hp output. Which tbh is enough, a lot of people moan about the lack of power but it's light and feels super agile! Although I supercharged mine to 320hp so can't speak. :D

Now waiting for a forged engine to come back to turn the charger up! But the stock car is still fantastic and super fun with 200hp!

A lot of TRD parts were developed on the car but yeh sadly no production car as it seems like more of a test mule. So you've got the only red TRD86? I do think the engine is cracking but feel that the chassis is crying out for more power like most of us ha ha. I take it you didn't feel 320 was even enough?

A lot of TRD parts were developed on the car but yeh sadly no production car as it seems like more of a test mule. So you've got the only red TRD86? I do think the engine is cracking but feel that the chassis is crying out for more power like most of us ha ha. I take it you didn't feel 320 was even enough?

Yeah, I've got one of very few! They didn't import any red TRDs in for customers to buy. You could only buy the TRD in white and Black in the UK. But Japan did make some Red ones. I think Toyota UK bought one Red TRD over which has now been sold to someone somewhere..

And my one was converted overhere, I managed to convince them to import me a Red TRD kit and all the extras in red and then Toyota fitted them all for me.

320hp is more than enough! But i'm more forging for longevity and reliability. 320hp is the absolute limit of the stock engine. The conrods seem to be a bit hit and miss on how long they'll last at that power! but also forging means we can lower the compression ratio of the pistons and bring the boost in lower. There's pros and cons, but mainly for longevity! And as its a weekend toy we are chasing power a little bit now! When I start breaking things like driveshafts and gearboxes i'll stop! :p

Id imagine the reason all the trd stuff is expensive is because it has actually undergone real R&D unlike a lot of stuff, plus jdm points y0!

Yeah all TRD stuff is actually tested, some of it on the Nurburgring but all of it comes with stastical evidence and facts about the benfits of fitting. which is nice, as its not just parts for the sake of parts. Or weight for no benfit!

Back onto the Starlet....

I bought a set of Nankang NS-2R tyres today for it. They seem to get really rave reviews and are on par with AD08s and R888 it seems. And for the price seemed like it was worth a try....

Edited by 4EFEJay