4EFEJay's EP91 Sprint Project

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today was a busy day.

Fitted the steering wheel which is on a removable boss.

Rev Counter arrived.

Exhaust bung fitted which helps a lot!

Stripped the carpet out.Kept it in the driver side footwell as thought it might cause problems for grip on shoes and stuff.

Decided the bride low rail was actually too low for me. So I modded the stock rail to fit a bit better and is now perfect height, distance and still slides. So this will go up for sale soon in the sale section along with new side mounts.

Bought a momo blue shift knob and a horn button and a few other bits. Starting to take shape now! Just unsure about suspension still!

Some photos below.

2C963BFB-8DA7-4315-AA6E-9788ED56E588_zps

F5E84181-EA43-440F-8BDA-DBE2F82E648F_zps

A nice blue theme going on:

9F0BDBAA-C13C-4707-9E24-22F084FAA355_zps

Huge Rev counter!

4E0B315C-E202-4D28-84E3-2E9B5B5C8747_zps

A few "free" mods you can do,
-Remove the AC if fitted
-Remove the heater core
-Bypass the TB coolant lines

All of these will save weight and increase power in a way, A/C is no brainer, no more belt, and the system is about 10kg. You can cap off the bungs going to the heater core and remove it and save the fluid's weight too.

For the Throttle body bypass, there are two lines going in and out of the throttle body, which move hot coolant to prevent freezing. By doing so they warm up the throttle body and air coming in. Cap off the bungs on the engine side and drain the TB.

And not free, but if you can find a thermal spacer for your inlet manifold it's a great way to keep the air cool. This and the TB bypass can lead to surprising results. I had this on my last car as well, and after an hour of driving the strut bar was too hot to touch, but my inlet was cool to the touch. A spacer also helps increase intake velocity.

A few "free" mods you can do,

-Remove the AC if fitted

-Remove the heater core

-Bypass the TB coolant lines

All of these will save weight and increase power in a way, A/C is no brainer, no more belt, and the system is about 10kg. You can cap off the bungs going to the heater core and remove it and save the fluid's weight too.

For the Throttle body bypass, there are two lines going in and out of the throttle body, which move hot coolant to prevent freezing. By doing so they warm up the throttle body and air coming in. Cap off the bungs on the engine side and drain the TB.

And not free, but if you can find a thermal spacer for your inlet manifold it's a great way to keep the air cool. This and the TB bypass can lead to surprising results. I had this on my last car as well, and after an hour of driving the strut bar was too hot to touch, but my inlet was cool to the touch. A spacer also helps increase intake velocity.

Thanks, I actually made sure I got a starlet without sun roof and no AC.

Will look into the throttle body mod.

The other mod I'd like to try is power steering removal. But I've read its not as easy as just removing the belt off the pump. Have to change the actual rack?

Looks great! Wheel all working proper then?

Yeah all good. Works well and really nice to be able to pop it off. :)

The TB mod takes seconds once you have the tools ready. If you don't have caps to bock the engine side nipples, you can use one of the hoses and loop it back to the other side. The nipples on the TB are both pointing at the firewall, and coolant loss is minimal, a rag is enough to catch everything.

Power steering, from what I've read, needs a slight modification of the rack to become a true arm-power steering.

From memory, you have to get into the rack and remove the piston that provides the linear assistance.

Mine didn't come with assisted steering, so I didn't have to go there, thus I didn't research the matter.

Edit: found this pic on howstuffworks.
steering-power-rack.jpg

The article is worth a read if you want to do this PAS removal the right way.

RotaryValve.jpg

Edited by FMuscle

Fitted the rev counter yesterday. Works sweet.

Little on the big side. Because Race Car.

F816B18C-1E9A-40C6-86C9-34649E10B2E2_zps

993C9ACC-E017-4580-83F4-2B99352EBCFF_zps

Rev limited can be set anywhere from 2k to 11k rpm. And the backlight can be one of 7 separate colours. Not bad for the price!

Easy to fit. Mounted with bolts through the dash. And the rev wire comes off the diagnostics box.

I must admit I'm not a fan of them rev gauges, they seem pointless to me on the ordinary daily starlets! But as yours is going to be a track/sprint car it looks right haha! Nice work so far, can't wait to see this little beast do its first race :D

I must admit I'm not a fan of them rev gauges, they seem pointless to me on the ordinary daily starlets! But as yours is going to be a track/sprint car it looks right haha! Nice work so far, can't wait to see this little beast do its first race :D

I agree! I would never run one on a daily! It kinda fits in a stripped out starlet though on track.

With helmet on and racing its actually all little off putting not having a rev gauge to know where abouts you are and mis shifts etc. Especially with helmet on perception of noise is sometimes messed up.

And Because Race car.

We have a test at Snetterton on the 27th Feb providing I get the brakes and suspension sorted. Otherwise first race is on the 2nd April at Blyton Park.

Exactly, on a track car I completely agree that they are worth it!

Ooh so either way it'll be seeing the track pretty soon! Awesome

Just need to get a set of coilovers! BC are looking to be the option, they sponsor the Toyota Sprint Series, so might be able to get bit of discount.

Power steering just removed pump and everything, loop the steering rack pipes and away you go. No need to do the other bits. Its really not that bad to park etc

Interesting, I did look into this option. I just need to make sure I can counter steer if end up losing the rear a bit.

How you got any links to this sprint series dude? Sounds really interesting also what cars will you be up against?

http://www.toyotasprint.com/

This year they have introduced a new class for upto 1333CC NA. Which basically means our class will have other Starlets, Yaris's and maybe some others in.

The main thing with TSS is the community and the amount of fun we have at each round. It's a really laid back series. The points system works really well and means you always have someone around you competing, in your class or not.

Come along to one thats close, spectators are welcome and free! Cost is pretty modest for the amount of track time and no mad crazy regulations to stick to! Basically, build a car. get out there. find what time your setting, chase the next person.

Pretty much everyone comes home with a trophy throughout the year at some point.

I used to do a few rounds in my GT86 but thats to precious and worth to much to risk on mad track sessions now! So thats where the starlet came into play.

Really looking forward to it. :p

Need a bit of advice.

Didin't think it would be complicated when I bought it, but since it's arrived i'm a bit confused. Its the airbag canceller kit from daemon tweeks.

It looks like this: sim_swa1212.jpg

So my understanding was that you just take the red wires and push them in each wire of the air bag cable in the car.

However the black wire confuses me. Its just a wire with a female spade terminal on. Where does this go? do i need it?

Thanks

http://www.toyotasprint.com/

This year they have introduced a new class for upto 1333CC NA. Which basically means our class will have other Starlets, Yaris's and maybe some others in.

The main thing with TSS is the community and the amount of fun we have at each round. It's a really laid back series. The points system works really well and means you always have someone around you competing, in your class or not.

Come along to one thats close, spectators are welcome and free! Cost is pretty modest for the amount of track time and no mad crazy regulations to stick to! Basically, build a car. get out there. find what time your setting, chase the next person.

Pretty much everyone comes home with a trophy throughout the year at some point.

I used to do a few rounds in my GT86 but thats to precious and worth to much to risk on mad track sessions now! So thats where the starlet came into play.

Really looking forward to it. :p

I'd love to enter this would be fun but wouldn't want to crash or anything I do track days in my n.a starlet a hell of alot of fun!

I'd love to enter this would be fun but wouldn't want to crash or anything I do track days in my n.a starlet a hell of alot of fun!

It's probably the safest form of track work. You're on track on your own. No other cars on track whilst you're setting your lap time.

You can drive as fast as you feel comfortable with and always be in reach of beating your own target. There are all types of people, mums and daughters doing it for a laugh right up to pro drivers.

Worth it!

Need a bit of advice.

Didin't think it would be complicated when I bought it, but since it's arrived i'm a bit confused. Its the airbag canceller kit from daemon tweeks.

It looks like this: Posted Image

So my understanding was that you just take the red wires and push them in each wire of the air bag cable in the car.

However the black wire confuses me. Its just a wire with a female spade terminal on. Where does this go? do i need it? 

Thanks 

I bumped into this issue too! I have the exact same resistor, I plugged the resistor in with the two prongs just as you've already said and I just aligned the black wire into my toolbox... I tried looking up what it was supposed to be used for but found nothing anywhere, I've had no trouble in the months I've had mine in buddy! All I had was one of the pins slide it's way out the plug, but I put it back in and pushed the plug into the plastic again so it's nice and secure and hasn't come out since :D

I bumped into this issue too! I have the exact same resistor, I plugged the resistor in with the two prongs just as you've already said and I just aligned the black wire into my toolbox... I tried looking up what it was supposed to be used for but found nothing anywhere, I've had no trouble in the months I've had mine in buddy! All I had was one of the pins slide it's way out the plug, but I put it back in and pushed the plug into the plastic again so it's nice and secure and hasn't come out since :D

Awesome thanks! That's what I thought. Just found it odd they supplied a black wire that doesn't do anything!

I've always fancied it too but would probably want a car I wasn't as bothered about getting a few scrapes on rather than using the SR. Anyone looked into hill climb type events?

Yeah! That was my trouble with my GT86. So the starlet is the car i'm not bothered about. Although I will probably get a bit attached to it lol

For me its more down to value if I write it off!

It's probably the safest form of track work. You're on track on your own. No other cars on track whilst you're setting your lap time.

You can drive as fast as you feel comfortable with and always be in reach of beating your own target. There are all types of people, mums and daughters doing it for a laugh right up to pro drivers.

Worth it!

Does the car have to meet a safety standard or anything quite interested in this