4EFEJay's EP91 Sprint Project

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2.75" damn yeah that might be half your problem, my two 20vs only runs 2.5" and maybe 2.25" the one with the smaller exhaust definitely has much better mid range but the bigger has more top end.

I would have stuck with 2.25" max on an n/a maybe not even that tbh

Yeah! I don't even have that on my 320hp GT86!

Do you think that size pipe might be half the problem with the low range torque?

I have no put another silencer in and reduced the size of the exit. So should help build a bit more pressure!

This probably isnt the best but should be fairly clear.

These are the same system 2.5" with mid and backbox

Blue run is bigger diameter 4-1 header (not great for low-mid) but with a cat so more backpressure.

Red run is smaller 4-2-1 (better low-mid) header but decat.

The initial torque is much greater with a cat even with a bigger header. Top end i would say its slightly restricted by the cat but its generally more drivable.

9EC90D46-8532-4DDB-A557-E0FD88E66F9F-622

I should also note that the red run is done with a enclosed plenum and long arm airfilter which is better for smooth torque than incorrect length trumpets in a pod filter (blue run). So is a bit to consider but it goes to show what an airfilter and cat can do to your power and torque.

Great example Morgey this has helped me out loads too.

Jay: yeh don't blame you with this crap weather, I have a workshop and had most of a Saturday to take my time with the Corolla manifold. Not too bad a job, ratchet spanners help. Do you have the longer vac hosing, brake hosing and the support bracket from the Corolla for the manifold? I can take pics/answer any questions to give you a head start.

I'd give the original air box a go with a panel filter- I think it's quite a good set up really. Saw the Corolla compressor rolling road day at TD- nearly all cars had all kinds of induction kits and didn't even make stock power!- think two guys ran totally standard cars and made just over stock power.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the stock air box again with a decent panel filter.

However I kinda have a bigger problem!

Found out I made a bit of a big boo boo today! 8o

I removed the head lining as it gave me about 1 inch extra head room with a helmet! However this means I have to now run a 6 point cage to compete! :cray: I didn't think it would be considered and 'Interior Trim around the driver' but its because they have a blanket rule on all cars and as some cars offer a lot more protection than others. The fact the starlet head lining is literally just thin cotton, makes no difference. And I kinda had to destroy the head lining to get it out! So it can't go back.

So if anyone has the head lining intact who would like sell it to me depseratly, it'd be very appreciative! Or help me fund a cusco 6 point cage my paypal is jay@mmkdigital.com :p

Ahh well! Now a made rush to figure out how I either get a cage, or original head lining! :):clapping::unknw::search:8o

Does it have to be original? Id be tempted to fix a bed sheet to the roof lol.

Yeah that's the difficult thing, has to be stock! So can't even bodge it with plastic sheet or new fabric! :cray:

And I don't know of anyway / anyone who's gonna be able to get stock headlining out without damaging it!

Edited by 4EFEJay

Hope you manage to get it sorted!

Thats a fuckin stupid rule anyway! :p

Yeah! It seems it for the starlet, because i'd consider it more dangerous! The stock head lining in the starlet has sharp metal poles across it. But in something like the yaris or corolla its considered a safety thing as its soft padded card! ANd instead of having separate rules for every car. Blanket rule of no cage = stock head lining.

I think my only obvious choice is to fit a 6 point roll cage. But at £600+ eeeks! But then its safety in mind too.

Not to mention all the weight it would add :/ definalty don't use the eBay brakers mate as it'll probably turn up on fire or something! Do you think you'd be able to remove it more carefully of you had the chance again? All I can think of is some how make your own and cover it with a material that looks similar to stock and I doubt they'd give it a second glance

You do not wanna roll a starlet haha. Roof is made of kitkat wrappers. If i was running in a racing series id want one.

Yeah, I always planned to get one. But just not in time for the first event. Guess that's hurried that along!

• 4 weeks later...

Not many updates recently as been so busy with work.

However got a few small minor updates.

Got the tow hooks installed as part of regs. Head lining is back in to comply to regulation without a cage! And booked in to Fensport on Thursday for full suspension alignment, brakes and discs and service.

Ready for round 1 next week!

I also built a flat back in the boot so that whilst travelling to events I had somewhere to tie everything down. When I get to event it can just unclip and lose all the weight. The starlet has a really akward floor when stripped so couldn't really put anything in the back.

Couple of photos. Sorry for the boring update. I'll do another update post Fensport trip.

Photo%2013-03-2016%2017%2040%2058_zpswlh

Photo%2020-03-2016%2009%2057%2035_zpsetj

Photo%2020-03-2016%2009%2057%2047_zpshv4

Exhaust wise, i did mention to you at some point that the best setup for 4efe n/a is 2" straight through using a 4-2-1 manifold. A;so because of the size its not overly loud once you have a rear box. You are 100% losing power with that big an exhaust.

Exhaust wise, i did mention to you at some point that the best setup for 4efe n/a is 2" straight through using a 4-2-1 manifold. A;so because of the size its not overly loud once you have a rear box. You are 100% losing power with that big an exhaust.

I'm going to be changing it at some point. Only went with the one I have because it was £40 and 10 mins away from me.

I've restricted it a lot now and feels much better to drive this evening.

Thats fair enough! i was lucky enough to be able to make my own.. bought the piping and bends off a friend that he had left over. cost me 50 euro all in so about £35-40. It is the best exhaust diameter for the n/a. it pulled loads better than the larger 2.5" turbo system i had modded to fit. Also the 4-2-1 manifold makes similar gains. i modded one off an AE111 4age to fit.

Interestingly, I built a bung which goes in the tail pipe to cut down some drone. It's worked very effectively on the noise side of things.

But also throttle response and accelleration is now improved back to what it was. I assume this is because I have no generated some back pressure in the exhaust again?

The car is now ready to go, stickered up, fueled up on new tyres. Full service at the weekend and new spark plugs, oil and filters.

Now just got to see if I can drive the thing.

Yes that will give you low down but you will lose upper rpm power. a smaller free flowing diameter exhaust would be better as none of the gases will be getting caught up in silencers or bungs. It creates a turbulent flow which isnt power efficient. (i dont mean to go on about it but you will notice a massive difference when you do change it)