4EFEJay's EP91 Sprint Project

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude you need to start an GT86 build thread!

James

Ok will do. Wasn't sure if it would be welcome over here on the starlet forum :D Is there a dedicated place for non-starlet builds?

Well if it's a weekend toy then the skies the limit! Were the TRD ones special chassis numbers? As mentioned get a thread up.

Hopefully the tyres are good, let us know how you get on

The whole TRD thing is bit of a Con tbh. They are all imported as standard GT86's and then if the owner ordered a TRD one, the TRD kit is applied and added at Port when they arrive in the UK. So chassis, and all mechanical is the same. It's literally different wheels, different exhaust backbox and a body kit! Then they charge £6k for the privilege. But they were limited to only 250 in the country of each colour. (White and black). And you do get a certificate to say its official TRD.

In Japan the TRD actually comes with different brakes, suspension and intake. But as with most import things in the UK we get a very watered down version.

My car started off life as a standard GT86 and then a year after ownership I managed to get Toyota GB to allow me to have it all fitted and turned into a red TRD. The handy thing is the Official TRDs actually have higher Tax Band. Where mine doesn't as it's registered as a standard GT86. :yahoo:

I'm hoping the tyres work well. I'm relying on the fact the starlet doesn't weigh anything and most the tracks i'll be on are good grippy tarmac tracks with no major bumps. So they should last a while and the starlet should never be putting them under any serious stress.

Looking into it, they do 2 compound of rubber. a Track and Street. Luckily I got Street as what I can tell they don't require as much heat in them, and can also retain the heat longer. The track compound has higher grip level, once its hot! But on a sprint we're not allowed tyre warmers or warm up laps. So you have to have some grip at the first corner on a pretty cold tyre.

Cool i'll have a look tonight! Yeh we get the shitty end of the stick with these 'special' versions don't we. So you don't even get a plaque or anything just a certificate lol. Seems like you've done the best option by modifying a standard one. I think Japan did a basic one with steelie wheels, no stereo and unpainted front and rear bumpers that was offered as the 'tuners option' but ironically people tend to leave them as is. Anyway i won't mention the 86 on here from now on lol it's unfair to the starlet.

How much were the tyres if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Pikey009

Cool i'll have a look tonight! Yeh we get the shitty end of the stick with these 'special' versions don't we. So you don't even get a plaque or anything just a certificate lol. Seems like you've done the best option by modifying a standard one. I think Japan did a basic one with steelie wheels, no stereo and unpainted front and rear bumpers that was offered as the 'tuners option' but ironically people tend to leave them as is. Anyway i won't mention the 86 on here from now on lol it's unfair to the starlet.

How much were the tyres if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, we did ok on the 'base spec' model as we got all the extras like climate control, AC, Keyless, HIDs etc. Which were all optional extras in Japan. But now we do have a 'Primo' model which is slightly cheaper with no extras. No plaque or anything. You do on the limited edition Yellow Ones and the New 'Blanco' Edition. You get a #/86 plaque. But they charge you nearly 8K for the privelage over a stock one! Yeah we'll try keep this thread starlet and the other 86 stuff!

I have to be careful to treat both equally! lol

I managed to get a steal on the tyres. 4 part worn on 3 track days. 6mm left on each tyre for £110 for the set delivered.

I'd been looking at them and in 195/50/15 they cost around £260 new from ebay. and range up to £300 from online tyre shops.

For £110 I though they're worth a punt! Considering I won't be putting much wear onto them either. 6mm should last a season atleast!

Just took out some insurance so will be driving it around this weekend.

Thought i'd better drive it about for some miles before attempting to drive the 2 and half hours up to Fensport!

So if there any bits that are going to fall off it, can fall off close to home!

Should be a laugh! Anyone around the norwich area on Saturday want a meet up. Give us a shout!

Thats some dedication lol, you know theres a few places local that corner weight and stuff?

Either way i might be about unless i do what I gota do friday.

I do some freelance work for Fensport so that makes it easier to get some stuff done :)

Also they've always been the only people I trusted with my GT86 so kinda just felt like i'd continue that tradition with the starlet.

Let me know if you're about. It's insured for the Saturday and Sunday morning. :p

Had the day driving round in it yesterday!

Can report it worked faultlessly! Once i'd got it started due to a totally dead battery.

Done around 150 miles and gave it all sorts of driving. Only thing to come out of the day really was that it's too damn loud!

It's fully stripped so will obviously always be loud! But the exhaust was insane. So this morning i've fitted an additional rear resonator and a exhaust bung with some stainless steel wire wool trick. And hey ho its much better!

Only other things I found was it seems quite sluggish between 2 - 4k rpm. Could this be due to not running the O2 sensor? Or just the fact its a 1.3 NA and i'm not used to it :p

Good stuff, might have to do something about how loud mine is too! Shouldn't be too sluggish between 2-4k mate I know your other car is quick but I wonder is the sensor has something to do with it. You've got a Corolla mani on haven't you?

Good stuff, might have to do something about how loud mine is too! Shouldn't be too sluggish between 2-4k mate I know your other car is quick but I wonder is the sensor has something to do with it. You've got a Corolla mani on haven't you?

I havn't got the corolla manifold on yet. Engine wise pretty stock. Cone Air Filter and Exhaust is only main change.

I'm not sure if it is sluggish or the noise just makes it feel like it should be going faster!

Jay are to allowed to get the car mapped on a piggyback in your catagory? Just thinking it would help tie the mods in. I know we only have little 1.3 NA's but I personally feel that any performance mods need a good map. My gt4 felt worse than stock when I put the blitz sus on until it got mapped.

Get the Corolla mani on mate doesn't make a huge difference but mine feels better mid range. The cone filter might be losing you a bit too. Ha ha the noise does make you feel that doesn't it!

Will do this next, just seemed like bit of a PITA job working round the back of the engine. And its been too cold and wet to want to tackle that!

Decat and pod filter have been known to loose low end so might be that. Not sure if youve a decat but asuming you have.

Yeah, i'm decat 2.75" straight through with resonator and silencer. Also got a cone filter. I wonder if the lack of back pressure and additional breathing has just moved the torque curve higher up the rev range.

Jay are to allowed to get the car mapped on a piggyback in your catagory? Just thinking it would help tie the mods in. I know we only have little 1.3 NA's but I personally feel that any performance mods need a good map. My gt4 felt worse than stock when I put the blitz sus on until it got mapped.

Yeah we can run any ecu and mapping is free in the Pro Class as long as it doesn't involve Boost!

I might try putting the stock air intake back on and see if that makes any difference.