4EFEJay's EP91 Sprint Project

Hi Guys,

So I've owned the Starlet for 2 weeks now and started to buy some bits for it so thought i'd start a dedicated blog.

My welcome thread is here: http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/97965-new-starlet-13-4efe-for-sprinting/

The point of this Starlet is to enter the Toyota Sprint Series Championship in 2016: http://www.toyotasprint.com/

I'll be keeping engine mods to a minimum as I don't want to be pouring tonnes of money into it to gain HP. I've got another car for that! :wacko:

Going to focus on Handling and braking and learn how to drive it! I've got a lot to learn!

I'll be doing most things myself, fitting, modding and tinkering with it in my spare time. But bits I can't do i'll be getting Fensport Performance to do for me.

In the Sprint Series I'm going to stay Street Class to start with which basically means I have to keep the stock interior. Seats and trim. but can strip silly weight like rear wiper, central locking and speakers etc!

I may progress into Pro Class throughout the year depending on other competition. I want to have some close competition to make it more exciting!

Photo of the car as I picked it up:

Photo%2022-11-2015%2020%2003%2039_zpsh4j

Photo%2005-12-2015%2014%2050%2004_zpsjw7

Still early days with mods and future plans. But have a few ideas. :p

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some future plans

I want to do some crazy mad paint job / livery on the car.

Haven't quite decided which route yet but here's a couple of photos of what i'm thinking. Would be nice to get some other members thoughts and preferences.. All have a 'head nod' to old school motorsport.

00000001.jpg

star1.jpg

86d846c95c11262c0409a9d7d91f1887.jpg

DSCF1316.jpg

Weight Saving Part One

First thing I done last weekend was stripping as much weigh as I could. I have to be careful as I need to comply to all Street Class regulation.

But managed to save 8KG so far by removing un-needed speakers, trim, foam inside the doors, Central Locking and Rear Windscreen Wiper.

The Starlet came with 6*9 Rear Speakers on the parcel shelf. I've modified it so that the parcel shelf can be removed and re-attached easily via one clip. Means we can enjoy music on the way to track but remove it when we get there!

This is about as far as I can go with the trim removale in Street Class. (I may even have to re-attach the tailgate cover)

Photo%2005-12-2015%2014%2050%2010_zps2z4

Induction

While I don't want to do any power modifications. I think it's important to get the engine running smoothly and as nice as possible for sprinting! It's going to take a hard beating. Typically a Lap is around 1 minute 30 seconds. - 2 minutes. So the engine is working very hard for 2 minutes. Which isn't so bad but it gets no nice break in. It will be running warm. And then go to 100% flat out in a very short time.

So I got a very good High-filteration High-flow cone filter.

Mainly for the filteration properties and flow rather than any power or noise! Added power is a bonus but i've done my fair share of NA tuning and it's really not worth it when it would be cheaper and probably easier to just drop a turbo engine in it!

But it sounds nice, like a jet sound.

Took a bit of modifying as it didn't quite fit correctly and there was no where to fit the Air Temp sensor. But after a bit of fiddling and a custom bracket it's all fitted in securely.

Adds a bit of bling to the engine bay too.... :rofl:

Photo%2005-12-2015%2014%2048%2028_zpscpu

Other induction mods may involve the Corolla Tubular Intake. But struggling to find one at the moment. it's supposed to have very good properties and actually a bit of noticeable gain. (Like I said before not going for power, but cheap bolt on parts are always worth a punt)

To compliment the intake i've bought a full stainless exhaust system for it. Still awaiting for this to arrive!

Braking

One big advantage in a small car is the weight and ability to stop it! Out braking some of the heavier cars should give us a good lead and keeping momentum up is key!

Biggest problem on a Sprint Circuit is not having the time to warm up tyres and brakes like you would on a Time Attack or track day!

So i've opted for some pads which work just as well from cold and should be able to take the heat for a few minutes of heavy thrashing!

I've gone for brand new OEM Discs. Not slotted or drilled as on sprint they're not worth it in the short time we'll be on track. Also we don't really want the disks to cool that effectively. We need to get heat in and stay in asap!

Black Diamond predator performance Pads which have a very wide operating temperature and bite point from nearly cold to over 520c.

HEL Stainless Steel Brake Lines all round complimented with some high grade Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid.

I'll also be looking to get a Master Cylinder Brace to stop any flex. But currently not found one other than the Cusco one. Might look into building one myself.

Sound good mate! I've took my 4efe na starlet on cadwell twice doing about 200 miles..didn't give the car a break much as well but it didn't miss a beat! There great handling cars as well!! Would love to see this on track:)

Sound good mate! I've took my 4efe na starlet on cadwell twice doing about 200 miles..didn't give the car a break much as well but it didn't miss a beat! There great handling cars as well!! Would love to see this on track:)

Awesome! My local track is Snetterton, so i'll probably be doing some days there testing and getting used to the car. TSS has been at Cadwell so I maybe up there in 2016! Will keep the thread updated with some dates and stuff.

Awesome! My local track is Snetterton, so i'll probably be doing some days there testing and getting used to the car. TSS has been at Cadwell so I maybe up there in 2016! Will keep the thread updated with some dates and stuff.

Ahh you're local to me then, im about 10 miles away in watton, might see you down there some time :)

Ahh you're local to me then, im about 10 miles away in watton, might see you down there some time :)

Sounds good! I'm near Loddon on the A146. Do you take it to the Snetterton Wednesday's at all, may have already seen you about? :)

Not in the starlet this year, few times last year i brought it over, popped up in my silver e11 corolla once or twice. I've a black Sr if you have seen it though

Ahh ok, may have. I didn't get to many events this year. Usually i'm in a Red Supercharged Toyota GT86. Starlet is only for track events so won't take it out to many meets etc.

Ahh ok, may have. I didn't get to many events this year. Usually i'm in a Red Supercharged Toyota GT86. Starlet is only for track events so won't take it out to many meets etc.

If the gt86 has been down one of the summer weds meets i might have seen it. Sounds familiar but not sure if the one i remember was s/charged

An old school TRD liverey would be ace!

Yeah I'm thinking that. Would be cool to have some sort of meaning to the livery rather than just random stickers!

Look forward to seeing the transformation, would definitley recomend the corolla intake, it does make a noticeable difference

Cheers, WIll keep my eye out for one!

Really nice little project mate I'll be keeping an eye on this :) and feel free to post some pics and specs up of be 86. I must admit I didn't have much love for them at the start but Theyre growing on me

Thanks. I'll do a little post at some point of anyone thats interested :) I have to admit mine is far from stock now. And stock ones bore me! It helps having 350hp instead of the dismal 197hp they come with!

Agreed! I don't care what Toyota say- it needs a special addition with more power but they won't do it as its like them admitting defeat. I like the basic shape but there's too much going on with the Toyota for me where as the Subaru is just a little bit more understated. Mind you I love the TRD Griffon project!

Edited by Pikey009

Little update:

Managed to get hold of a front brace. I believe its a factory option one? Cost £20 and should be here this week.

Now looking for a rear one. Ideally I want the one that braces the seat belt mounts and the strut mounts.

Little update: 

Managed to get hold of a front brace. I believe its a factory option one? Cost £20 and should be here this week. 

Now looking for a rear one. Ideally I want the one that braces the seat belt mounts and the strut mounts. 

I have both the front and rear strut brace for the strut mounts, the front was on when I bought it so I never noticed the difference but after fitting the rear strut brace it made a massive difference in my opinion, it's much tighter and less jelly like

I have both the front and rear strut brace for the strut mounts, the front was on when I bought it so I never noticed the difference but after fitting the rear strut brace it made a massive difference in my opinion, it's much tighter and less jelly like

That's good to know! I've been wondering as it seems a decent rear strut is quite expensive. £250+ (Half the price of the car!) But i'm after handling so I think it'll be worth getting one.

At times like this I wish I knew how to weld!

You can get them pretty cheap if you keep your eye out!

I managed to pick up a white line rear strut brace for £60 a fair few weeks back from this forum, it's nice and solid too!

And yes handling is definitely the best aspect to focus on with the starlets as that's what they're best at

I got a cusco rear strut last month for £50- havnt fitted it yet as I want to keep the rear plastics so need to remove and trim them

Yeah I was impatient and badly trimmed mine, only a little bit just to fit the brace, but I need to get the dremel out and tidy them up at some point

Cool, I'll keep my eye out.

I like the look of the factory option one that bolts to the floor also. And the higher top mount between the seat belt points. Think that could be quite a big improvement there!