So I got reeaaaaally busy with customers builds which left getting the starlet ready to only a few days before the meet I wanted to make it to. The head had a complete overhaul and I fitted some new TRD valve springs I've had for a while, relapped all the valves, checked seats and tolerances etc. Also while the engine was apart I checked the oil pump and the mains etc and everything looks great. After a few very late nights I had the engine complete and fitted with a whole heap of ARP bolts etc.
Next I got into building a new gearbox - not that there is anything wrong with the current one, other than its running a helical LSD and I prefer the clutch type lsd. So I was aiming to build another c56, but this time with my new cusco rs lsd and then keep the helical fitted box as a spare. Eventually I will build a c52 with the longer ratios for track work but thats a fair way off being needed. The donor box looked good and I got most of the way through the job and realised I didnt have new diff bearings to fit. So with only 48hrs till I had to be at the track I ended up giving the original gearbox a once over and putting the car back together with that instead. I'll finish the clutch type box over the next few weeks and swap it over as its only a 45min job.
Anyway, at 1.30am the morning of the event the car lwas loaded on the trailer with a only a quick road test on 6psi under its belt. The day is by far my favourite race meet each summer with such good people, very relaxed atmosphere, good banter and plenty of track time, so was definitely worth the effort.
It wasn't without its dramas though, first run had one of the gearbox linkages come off after the first gear change. For the second run I bogged the launch as I was still taking it easy on the setup at 6psi and didn't quite have the grunt to launch in 2nd like I usually do. Third run I launched in 1st still at 6psi and it hooked up great with a 2.260ft but about mid track saw the external wastegate vent pipe come loose and bounce out from under the car which was good for a laugh but did take a couple of hours to fix. I put these issues to down to rushing to get the car back together Luckily I managed to get the pipe and clamp from the side of the track but the vband flange on the pipe was bent and the bolt to the vband had done a runner. so it took a while to fix. Eventually ran a couple of 13.4-13.6 runs which is pretty good for low boost - 6psi.
After lunch I bogged the launch again in the first round of DYO so threw the keys to my wife for the rest of the afternoon who went on to run a 15.5 after a 3 runs! Pretty impressive given she has never driven it before let alone race and the clutch is a savage to get used to.
Alistair had his 7agte KE20 out and ran pretty consistently in the low 13's on street tires and low boost. This thing will run 11s on good tires.
Matt ran his 4agte 86 to a new personal best in the high 12's on street tires
Karl had a few issues but had good track time on his 4agte KE70
And Joe ran his diesel NA TD42 Nissan Safari pre the upcoming turbo conversion we will be doing so it will be interesting to see the improvements next year - all in all a very cool day!
Thanks heaps to Karl and Matt from Garage Dori, my brother Ryan for helping with the final prep, and all the Oldschool.co.nz guys for the banter on the day.