• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats just being pedantic. It plugs in and you can play with it. Be that mapping, auto tuning etc. A base map would make sense to allow the car to get to a tuner maybe. But if you want a shitty 'flash map' that isnt specific to the car go buy a blitz or something

Call it what you like. If people dont ask the questions then nobody will know the answers. And lets be honest, you're just as bad if not worse!

Whats wrong with supplying the ecu with a basic map minus the fuel cut, speed limiter etc? And as you can see with ME's response, it's well within their capabilities which answers my question. They can supply an ecu with the basics for the car to run and function as per normal till such a time that I want to further any modifications. Question asked and answered :)

The thing with maps like that is such a difference between cars. You'll then have people blowing up engines and blaming you guys!

Not if the map file is copied from say a Blitz/Mines/Jam/Sard etc. The same parameters that those ecu's work to can surely be applied to the ME221, if i'm wrong i'm sure ME can clear up any concerns?

To buy an direct fit ecu at £645 with a blitz, jam, mines map....... that's adjustable/future proof/self learning with a wideband!!!! Or £650 for an EMB don't even think that includes a map sensor and harness. I know what I'm buying.....

This ^^^^^

So why are you asking the questions? This is clearly aimed at higher hp builds/ people who want to go standalone without worrying about a new loom and the higher price tags they have.

Can you do a similar thing for others cars on a one off/small basis?

I think this is a great product with big potential.

Personally (if i had a fte) i would rather a new ecu and have a base map with an initial low boost/rev limit and then take it to be tuned than fit a blitz/jam/mines that i had no idea what the rev limit or what boost its mapped too for for a saving of £100.

I say this as i have a blitz ecu on my 20v corolla and i dislike the fact it revs upto 8500rpm+ without hitting the limiter. For all i know it could be mapped for a built engine not a stock one!

So why are you asking the questions? This is clearly aimed at higher hp builds/ people who want to go standalone without worrying about a new loom and the higher price tags they have.

Because it's something i'm interested in. I didnt want to go down the pnp or the FCD/FPR route, and after a while then migrate to something more capable. Now knowing that ME can supply these with a base map to run with for the time being makes it a much more promising solution. For a little more than an aging pnp, I can have a more advanced ecu that opens up more potential. It's having that option to have the map changed itself, rather than redoing the whole process. Surely you can see the sense in my questions Ollie?

And most standalone ecu's available have a patch harness supplied so it fits the original plugs, if not, one can be produced quite easily.

Edited by Starlet__SR

It seems to me it's aimed at anyone wanting to remove the limitations of the stock ECU, without the huge price tag attached to it. Basically your getting a standalone for piggyback price, I can only see advantages from that. Does anyone even know how big the stock map table is? 8x8?

How does this compare to sauwan Apexi power fc? What does this give you that a Apexi can't just wondering

Considering the Apexi is also getting on a bit now, prices usually sit around the £1000 mark with a hand controller. They're also getting rare as hens teeth, and considering none were made specifically for the starlet, they were modified from an MR2 turbo setup.

Would this ecu give a more accurate tune or allow you to tune anything more than the Apexi power fc?

power fc are old technology now I'm sure this will

Be much more up to date .. watch some of the YouTube videos lads it seems very user friendly the videos are basically a step by step guide looks very easy to use and tune yourself something I'd definitely be interested in I think anyone would be mad to use a jdm p&p over this

Matt at ME has my glanza for testing as well as another guys GTT. He has been keeping us up to date on Facebook with what's going on, progress ect.

This ECU is a fully stand alone fully programmable computer that fits inside the factory case and plugs in to the factory wiring harness, so to install this all you need to do is unplug the ecu in the car, take it apart put the old circuit board to one side for if you ever want to go back to stock and then put in the ME221 computer, put it all back together and the install is complete.

Maps will be available to download from there website (pick one that suits your car best) download it to the ecu from your laptop and you're done. Car will star and run like normal but with probably a bit more power.

As these are just " generic" maps it's best to see a professional tuner and get it mapped to suit your car.

Any good tuner will be able to map these due to the software being available to everyone.

I thing these are going to be one of the best things to happen to the starlets, and will probably get rid of all the piggyback ecu's out there.

Keep up the great work matt and everyone at ME

Edited by morgan

Lots of interest here, which is great to see as it means the efforts so far have been worth it :)

In terms of specs, its easier if you guys ask direct questions, i.e, the Apexi has a XxY table size, what does the ME221 have? (16X16), Accuracy? (0.001ms fuelling, 0.01 degress timing, 20k RPM) is it a VE or PW based system (Modelled VE of course ;) ) etc, the spec list is huge so its a case of asking what you think it should have rather than what does it have :)

Feel free to download the software from our website and grab a calibration file as well so you can have a play with it... That will show alot of the options and configuration of the ECU - anything else, please don;t hesitate to ask! (the MEITE is what you need)

https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/software-manuals/

Today we aim to get the EP91 up and running and base-mapped, then, as a project, its a case of working out AC connectivity, then laying the PCBs out for small batch production, its at that point we do the whole group buy thing in preparation for the PCBs arriving (which will be around Xmas time) ready to ship out in the new year...