Hi there guys,

Heres my new car, I've had it a week now but its been in my life for a year and a half as it belonged to my best mate. I have been with it from the day we picked it up from where it had been imported. Since then I have learnt a fair bit about starlets, but mainly in the last 2 months I have been going research crazy! :D I am still learning though, but Im glad I found this forum, its been so helpful, particular thanks goes to Jones36, TC Ricky, Dave Burwash, Dane from SPS Bristol and everyone else who has helped me out with various things :D

Mods so far include (or ones that are going on shortly):

Im just getting started really, gonna concentrate on handling and engine mods from now on though :D .

Engine:

Blue-Flame Cat Back Exhaust

Toy Tuning Actuator

Jam Racing Ecu

AutoGauges Boost Gauge

TRD Quick-Shift Kit

Japspeed Decat Pipe

RX7 Topmount Intercooler

Greddy Type S Blow-off Valve

Exterior:

Full Respray in Factory Sky Blue

Gunmetal Rota Grid 16s

De-Wipered

Boot Lock Smoothed

6000k HIDs

Jam Racing Eye Lids

Handling:

TRD Lowering Springs (I believe)

Anyway here it is at long last, I have always wanted one since I first went for a ride in one. :D

DSC00945-1.jpg

DSC00948-1.jpg

DSC00946-1.jpg

DSC00925-1.jpg

DSC00924-1.jpg

DSC00952-1.jpg

Not the best photo location I know but I haven't had a chance to take it anywhere yet really! :D

Any comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Alex

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice example mate

Any plans for her??

Cheers mate, yeh definately, plenty of ideas going through my mind. I think I'm gonna go down the good old Hybrid route. Once I get my Jam Ecu tomorrow that will get the ball rolling. Fueling is the most important thing to sort first engine wise imo, and a Jam will hopefully be just the ticket to support future mods! Coilovers, new tyres, better discs and pads are a must too, just need the moolah lol Still cant believe I finally own a Glanza! :D

I just picked her up from South West Transmissions, she had a problem with the clutch and the rear input bearing, I discovered I had a Trd Sports Facing clutch in there, but part of the front plate had snapped off! So I had a standard one put in for the time being and the gearbox has been refurbed, will upgrade clutchy soon though, I bet it will start slipping before long. :p

Heres a pic of the Trd one when it came out:

TOYOTASTARLETN277LBX001.jpg

Very nice love the 16" rota's, i think 16 suits the starlet, what profile are those tyres u using?

And what bulbs u have in your headlights, looks like a bluey color

Cheers shelly, means a lot coming from an owner of some real TE37s! :p The tyres are 45s I think (nankangs! :D ). Theyre ok in the dry but absolutely shit-scary in the wet! :D

As sparky said, they're 6k hids, however I dont have them any more as both the ballasts have failed! New set on the way as I cant live without them ;) .

You have an awesome GV by the way. B)

mm, me likey

Cheers mate, do you live near/in Bristol perchance?

Alex

HID's ah i seeeeeeeeeee nice :p

DOn't listen to Ecksjay, mine are real :p:p

Hids ftwz :p

And I never doubted the authenticity of your set, although I haven't seen them in person so wouldn't know for sure! :D:p

• 2 months later...

It's been sometime since I updated my cars thread!

To say a fair bit has changed would be putting it lightly, I have never spent so much money in the space of 3 months in my life! lol

Ok so here goes. New mods to date include:

Toy Tuning Air Filter Relocation kit. Good mod, noticable gains from it straight away, but the dreaded boost creeep! Luckily my Jam ecu was there to fuel it as it wasnt even breaching 14psi. I did think I could really do with a hybrid though, I thought maybe next year perhaps :lol: .

Indiglo Dials: Courtesy of Mr. Burwash. They look gorgeous, once you see them you need them. lol I'll try an get a pic of them later.

SPS Mild Steel Manifold from Dane: My review of this is on TGTT. Superb Manifold, well designed, I cant see it cracking for a loooong time, if ever. Gave much much better low end torque and power through the revs. More on this below.

DSC01009.jpg

Then, shock horror, my intake turbo seals went pop! :o *cough*excuse for a hybrid*cough*

So, Turbo Daves Hybrid CT9 Turbo to the rescue, Go Dave! Will get some pics up of it when I can, but its much like a Toy Tuning Hybrid so look at one of those. lol Mucho happy with it, Daves service was brilliant. He built up an excellent hybrid and fitted everything for such a good price. This was the only job on the glanz so far that I wasn't confident tackling on my own. Dave however loves working on starlets and this to him was a breeze, we hit a couple of the usual snags when fitting it but we quickly sorted them. The performance gains were well worth the money plus no more boost creep. My new mani and Decat were installed together with the hybrid too. This as you can imagine made the Glanza somewhat different to drive. :lol:

I then decided, for the sake of better handling and overall performance to refurb my old 15s and sell on my 16" Inovit/Rota thingys. The job took me about a week and cost about £40. This was my first ever attempt at refurbing some wheels and they werent the easiest shape to do. I think they turned out pretty well but I could defo improve them. I may have another go at them in a different colour if I get bored. :lol:

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I went off the gold strips very quickly, so off they came!

DSC01030.jpg

HDI Front Mount Intercooler Kit again from Dane! I was very impressed with the quality, fit and performance gains of this kit. Made a massive improvement to power and torque delivery! I am currently running this setup on 12psi and the standard ecu and it still pulls like a train! One of the best mods I've done as it improved the look of the car as well as the performance. Top service from Dane as usual :D

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

Cusco Zero 2 Coilovers with Cusco Topmounts. Holy cow they are good! I literally just got them installed this weekend, so further height and damping adjustments are needed untill I'm happy, then I'll be off to get the camber, castor, toe etc set up properly as its naturally all over the shop after the coilys. Canni wait!

My Jam Ecu is now gone, I've decided to go back to standard management on 0.8bar untill I have fully addressed and satisfied the handling and braking on the car. Then I will go Emanage or Standalone with a good tuner and head for the 200 mark. Tbh, I'm pretty impressed with how much power its putting out currently, its more than enough for now. :D

Overall, the Glanz has had a fair share of time, money and effort put into it these last few months, I've put more into it so far than I did in a year on my previous car, but its all been worth it.

Again much thanks goes to this forum and its traders/members for all of its wonderful wisdom and techy knowledge that allowed me to make decisions and do almost all the mods so far by myself instead of relying on a garage to do it for me.

Will keep you posted and try to get more pics of developments as my voyage continues! lol

Starlets are sooooo fun! :D

Cheers,

Alex

nice mods man, good work indeed, engine bay needs a bit of a clean tho

u selling the ecu?

Thanks mate, I agree it defo needs a good clean. I gave it a go a while back but theres some real stubborn dirt in there!

The Jam ecu was sold a few weeks back now.

That looks awesome, loving the front end!!

Cheers mate, I was loving it too untill I bumped into a rather large curb the other day :lol:. The splitter was made from fibreglass so is now pretty much unrepairable, cracked and split in multiple places :lol: . When I have the time and funds I will get a new one made and painted up.

Well its now splitterless and the bumper has seen better days for sure :lol:. It'll be sorted in good time though.

Meanwhile: Coilys = Slammage + Back pains after a short trip to sainsburys. :lol:

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

Cheers,

Alex