Corolla 4efe 89bhp? Fit Its Ecu To Your Starlet!

1st Gen 4E-FE

The first generation of 4E engines found in the Starlet GI, Soleil and Corolla models were produced from 1989 until 1996. The engine found in these two models produced 99 bhp (74 kW) @ 6600 rpm and 86 ft·lbf (117 N·m) @ 5200 rpm. this engine had more in common with the 4E-FTE, sharing the same throttle body, and slightly larger fuel injectors.

Specs:

74 mm Bore

77.4 mm Stroke

9.6:1 Compression Ratio

took from

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_E_engine" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_E_engine</a>

if you carry on reading it talks about the 1996 corolla to @ 88bhp

my old corolla was a 1st gen 4efe on a 1992 so looks like extra gain from 4efte injectors and throttle body maybe ecu but more than likely not. by the way they didnt fit the imobiliser on the corolla till 1996

Immobilizser only problem on SR starlets but you have the same problem with fitttin 5efe ecu. Just take the transponder from the donor car. im not on about 1st gen engines that are more like the fte, I mean the bugeyed corolla with the tubular inlet manifold, we should try fittin the ecu aswell when your down the scrapyard gettin the manifold

The point i'm tryin to get across is why go for an 88bhp bug eye when you can find a 89-96 corolla in a scrapperz and get the thottle body and injectors and get 99bhp without mods put a filter and free flow exhaust system and maybe a fpr on that and 110-12+ bhp could be achived. Don't think this would even cost much from a scrapperz

The early engine is much like the 4efte, totally different sensors, distributor, throttle body, the works. I think when lads go to the scrappy to salvage the tubular inlet manifolds they should lift the ecu aswell is all im sayin.

You dont need the injectors. If you dont understand that then you shouldnt really be messin with it if you know what i mean. The o-rings are easily nipped and cause leaks, keep a good eye on them on first start up, good luck

Toyota went from 50mm tb down to 45mm to increase torque so decide which your aiming for first, 4afe is best fit 50mm for our uk 4efe, although you'll have to get the corolla tubular manifold bored out, so just go for the fte manifold instead but get a spacer for between mani and tb that hangs down the back to cover the iac port which doesnt be covered properly

i read on here that someone raced a 1.4 civic, the starlet having the mani mod and the civic pulled away in the same thread another person said that the mod like mani, filter and zort could make the n/a starlet run lean so changing to the larger injectors should cure this, if i had a n/a starlet i would transfer all the stuff from the corolla and test but i have a glanza v

1st gen produced 99 bhp (74 kW) @ 6600 rpm and 86 ft·lbf (117 N·m) @ 5200 rpm.

2nd gen produced 88 bhp (66 kW) @ 5500 rpm, but with a slight increase in peak torque 87 ft·lbf (118 N·m) at 4400 rpm

the torque gain of 1 ft-lbf is nothing but the fact it peaks 800rpm sooner is were the gains are seen

I'm more than sure a mixture on both gens parts like 1st gen injectors and tb maybe ecu with the 2nd gen intake and exhaust maniz could see some impresive gains

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone can i fit a TOYOTA COROLLA 1.4 VVTI (4ZZ-FE) 97 BHP ECU kit , into my Toyota starlet 4EFE 1.3 automatic . Would the car start? please any sugesstions

Thanks

No, the 4zz runs a completely different style ecu, its obd2 and also wiring diagrams are nearly impossible to find for the 4zzfe. Would be huge amounts of work for not much gain.

You could use the 97-99 4efe ecu (89hp) but gains are mostly made from other parts rather than the ecu.

Best and easiest option is Fit an emanage blue and to your 4efe ecu and get it tuned.

If using the ee101 89bhp ECU then youd need to change the ignition system to DIS id have thought.

As above. The 99 Corolla 4efe uses wasted spark and has no distributor. It uses a crank signal from a sensor located on the oil pump housing. This allows a more accurate spark to be sent to each cylinder and possibly giving more power hence the bigger bhp figure.

As above. The 99 Corolla 4efe uses wasted spark and has no distributor. It uses a crank signal from a sensor located on the oil pump housing. This allows a more accurate spark to be sent to each cylinder and possibly giving more power hence the bigger bhp figure.

I had one of those corollas and there was a definite power difference to a normal starlet. But also had a jap N/a with the DIS setup and the power felt the same as a uk.

The JDM 100ps stuff is what you want for a half decent N/a build.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for posting on an old thread but I am in the rare position of having an X-limited EP82 (1.3 4efe 1st gen) with a blown head gasket, and will soon have, hopefully today, a Cynos Juno with a second gen 4efe and wish to try upgrading for similar bhp of the Starlet. Other than exhaust and inlet manifolds, has the throttle body been confirmed to be changed also? I don't think there is immobiliser on either car, definitely not on the starlet anyway as it's 92 with chipless keys, haven't seen the cynos keys yet. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I will start a new thread now in newcomers and also when work begins if it's worth pursuing. Cheers guys.

Sorry for posting on an old thread but I am in the rare position of having an X-limited EP82 (1.3 4efe 1st gen) with a blown head gasket, and will soon have, hopefully today, a Cynos Juno with a second gen 4efe and wish to try upgrading for similar bhp of the Starlet. Other than exhaust and inlet manifolds, has the throttle body been confirmed to be changed also? I don't think there is immobiliser on either car, definitely not on the starlet anyway as it's 92 with chipless keys, haven't seen the cynos keys yet. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I will start a new thread now in newcomers and also when work begins if it's worth pursuing. Cheers guys.

There is a few differences between the Gen1 and Gen2.

The Gen1 is superior and is basically a GT engine with different pistons

The one in my 85 was like this.

Crank marked 4ET

Thick rods (look like GT rods)

FTE flywheel

212mm clutch

Pink injectors

Thread in the block for a knock sensor

FTE inlet and TB

Thermo housing sensors same as a GT

100ps ECU

Different exhaust mani