My Troublesome Turbocharged Terror

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car looks well mate. I've still to fit my wilwoods that i bought off you a while back. Been spending so much money on gettin my engine built with all the goodies. Will need to have a natter about what adjustments u needed to make to fit them

Nice one Dave, nice power figure, bet thats great fun to drive, cant beat the sound of a screamer pipe screaming at u lol

Cheers Ryan, yeah good fun - not quite the same as 350 odd bhp though :p Yeah gotta love a bit of screamer action and it sounds muh better than it did with the ct9 too.

Car looks well mate. I've still to fit my wilwoods that i bought off you a while back. Been spending so much money on gettin my engine built with all the goodies. Will need to have a natter about what adjustments u needed to make to fit them

Thanks mate, yeah no bother, give me a shout when you get round to it - your brackets should fit straight on aslong as you get discs with the correct offset for the bells. :)

Just read the whole thread mate. What a credit to you it is, been a long time and its good to still see the enthusiasm shining through.

The TD12 turbo setup really seems to suit it with very little lag and having a great linear response.

Just read the whole thread mate. What a credit to you it is, been a long time and its good to still see the enthusiasm shining through.

The TD12 turbo setup really seems to suit it with very little lag and having a great linear response.

Thanks mate, somehow even with all the problems I do still have the love for it, especially now with the new turbo! It is a good little turbo and well suited to these cars imo, spools a little earlier than the TD04 but doesn't give away much power or torque.

As some know I took the Glanza down to Japfest at Knockhill on Sunday and ventured out on track for the first time, it was great fun and the wee car ran surprisingly well until it blew an intercooler pipe off and I just couldn't get it stay on after that. It was a shame as I was just getting up to speed and starting to keep up with some of the others on track, I'll be getting the hose permanently fixed soon though so I can get back on track. :)

Here's a nice photo of me power under steering/wheel spinning out of the hairpin!

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/WallaceGlanza/media/My%20Glanza%20V/264437_611981962160223_217612340_n_zps57d1edcd.jpg.html'>264437_611981962160223_217612340_n_zps57

• 1 month later...
With the wheel spinning antics at knockhill I decided it was definitely time to start thinking about an LSD, just as I started considering that I couldn't spare the cash for a nice new Quaife taggy advertised his one which was stuck in his gearbox. I got it for a bargain price (thanks again) and successfully removed it for the box without damage....

IMG_1652_zpsb5fc68a0.jpg

So it was out with the old in the with the new....

Boring open diff:

IMG_1661_zps896efc67.jpg

Nice and tight quaife:

IMG_1664_zpsfe6adda4.jpg

The other issue of the coolant leak was also adressed with a TRD radiator cap:

IMG_1653_zpse7dc672d.jpg

(I was too lazy to clean up the spilt coolant though!)

With the gearbox back on (after much cursing and toys being thrown out the pram lying on my back under the car) the test run was rather irritating as again the intercooler pipe, this one:

IMG_1646_zps514d8dca.jpg

....kept popping off at the silicon join, the new inlet for the turbo had moved the position of the intercooler pipe slightly and it just wouldn't stay on. So a new bit of pipe was fabricated to size and then welded in place by a workmate:

IMG_1676_zpsa475fddc.jpg

IMG_1677_zps78de128e.jpg

With only two hard pipes for the intercooler now there should be no more hoses popping off!

A proper test run - and the first on my favourite back road with the new turbo and lsd was quite fun to say the least! The wee glanza is now seriously quick along the back roads and you can feel the diff helping to pull you out of corners where it would've normally been spinning up an inside wheel, it also gets up to speed pretty quickly. The new turbo loves revs too and makes a lovely noise ripping along at 7k rpm, a slightly worrying banging noise I kept hearing also turned out to be some pretty loud backfires on the rundown. :D

IMG_1674_zps94a02409.jpg

I need to tidy up a few bits in the engine bay and start doing more trackdays, a rollcage might be a good investment for that.....

Nice updates dude. And damn i miss my black v! :( yours is defo my fav v on here. And bin them crappy jubilee clips and get some micklor clamps on your boost pipes. Far better seal mate. And damn does a diff make a difference! When i ran a hybrid on my v the torque steer was heavy. I think its because they spool so quick and pull so damn hard! Is like being hit by a train on a tongs hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha cheers shorty, although I think you're biased since I have your old bonnet and engine!... speaking of which, sorry but I've just killed your engine. 8o

I was intending on taking the car for a nice blast up the highlands but on the way something didn't feel quite right so turned back, I then noticed the oil catch can was overflowing and the engine breathing heavily. A compression test tonight returned this: Cyl 1 - 168psi, Cyl 2 - 175psi, Cyl 3 - 171psi Cyl 4 - 82psi.

Engine no. 2, done. :rolleyes:

HAHA dont worry dude i wont hold it against ya. That engine done bloody well really. It was the origonal from my black v and i forget the milage but she had done a good few. And shes sat in your bay for a good few years.done us both proud! And yea im totally biased haha

And he wont give up. Hes die hard starlet!

I hope your not giving up with engine no2? Your car is to beautiful to be broken up :)

James

Thanks! See below...

HAHA dont worry dude i wont hold it against ya. That engine done bloody well really. It was the origonal from my black v and i forget the milage but she had done a good few. And shes sat in your bay for a good few years.done us both proud! And yea im totally biased haha

And he wont give up. Hes die hard starlet!

Yeah I don't know the mileage either but I know it's well over 100k miles, tbh I was expecting it to go at some point but hoped it would last a bit longer! Your last comment brought a smile to my face and nod of agreement, cheers man.

I've got two dead engines lying about now so once I've got my new garage (house) sorted at least one will be getting rebuilt and whilst that is happening I may well strip down the whole car and tidy the whole thing up.... and maybe see if an MSA approved rollcage can find its way into the car so I can have some real fun. :thumbsup:

Hell yea baby. I love your car so much man. Has come a hell of a way over the years. They should do a film on it! With all the ups and downs it would be a perfect tribute to starlet ownership. Still atleast once ones rebuilt the other can be built up and ready for next time.

Hell yea baby. I love your car so much man. Has come a hell of a way over the years. They should do a film on it! With all the ups and downs it would be a perfect tribute to starlet ownership. Still atleast once ones rebuilt the other can be built up and ready for next time.

Don't jinx it before the first one is even built! :p

Cheers guys, it won't be quick but hopefully it will be back better than before.

• 8 months later...
Well it's time for another long over due and lengthy update!

We left off above with a dead engine and at the time I was waiting to move house so didn't want to start stripping down the car and engine. Roll onto January this year and I finally got into a house with garage where the Glanza could be worked on, once settled my attention turned back to the car. My plan was to rebuild the original engine which I blew up back in 2008, I suspected it was just the head gasket back then but didn't have the time or patience to repair it so pulled it out and left the engine sitting on the garage floor until a few months ago:

IMG_2110_zpsf9861858.jpg

So my plan was to just change the head gasket and put it back in the car leaving the other engine to have a full rebuild when I had the money....

The plan started well, upon pulling the head off it was pretty clear the head gasket had indeed blown:

IMG_2130_zpsc251f8db.jpg

IMG_2131_zpse590f293.jpg

However that wasn't the only problem, with the engine having sat for so long the bores had corroded:

IMG_2148_zpsfdccc4b5.jpg

IMG_2149_zps0dad9390.jpg

Meaning they would require honing as a minimum.... which means new rings as well and then whilst the whole thing is in bits new bearing shells... and so the list starts growing!

... and growing when the ring lands fell off piston no.4 as I was taking the rings off:

IMG_20140409_175919651_zpsca8f6e94.jpg

I decided to try honing the block to see if it could be salvaged but the corrosion was too deep to come out with a simple hone:

IMG_20140410_183717415_zps992bc542.jpg

IMG_20140410_181610957_zpsbed7721b.jpg

Onto plan B! Time to take the 2nd engine out...

IMG_2155_zpsb2e92cb4.jpg

IMG_2176_zps30cc26db.jpg

IMG_2182_zps97c6c17b.jpg

IMG_2184_zps7f1d46b8.jpg

Deja vu???

IMG_2187_zps57e4fe0c.jpg

On stripping this engine down everything was looking good... a bit too good, it wasn't obvious where the problem was:

IMG_2192_zps37638eeb.jpg

Clean bores!

IMG_2193_zps491a0729.jpg

Until the tiny tell tale signs were spotted on one of the pistons (again no. 4):

IMG_2209_zpsa9181da8.jpg

Sure enough when the rings were taken off the ring lands came with them:

IMG_2213_zps1dedd48b.jpg

Snap!

IMG_2214_zpsefa0723d.jpg

But with the other pistons all being ok and this block being good I now had plenty of parts to make one good engine.... or a V6????

IMG_2208_zps9f016da8.jpg

So the rebuild began again!

New piston rings:

IMG_2220_zps34fb2b26.jpg

Cleaned and honed block (no skimming required):

IMG_2223_zpsf845c270.jpg

IMG_2225_zps8478fc25.jpg

New main and rod bearings (I used "King" bearings):

IMG_2228_zpsb6e26ab1.jpg

IMG_2231_zpsa7b39497.jpg

IMG_2232_zps88a4c5ae.jpg

IMG_2234_zps6e31a57e.jpg

Then onto the head. This was stripped, valves cleaned (exhaust valves are a pain in the arse to clean!!!) and then re-lapped, new uprated stem seals and just a good clean of the head, again this didn't need skimmed either (the first would've needed it but not the 2nd head):

IMG_2238_zps967d1b08.jpg

IMG_2243_zpsb4ffe93e.jpg

IMG_2245_zps312a13d3.jpg

IMG_2247_zps6c4ea033.jpg

IMG_2248_zps785c6cca.jpg

Job done.

IMG_2251_zpsfe867426.jpg

Simples. :p

Whilst the engine was out I gave the bay a basic clean, got some new roose silicone hoses and also decided to ditch the ABS. The whole lot was ripped out and some new pipes made up:

IMG_20140413_163025561_zpsc194bbbb.jpg

IMG_20140413_162742861_zps0097b1ac.jpg

IMG_20140508_181651196_zpsc710671b.jpg

The engine was then chucked back in and to be my delight fired on the first crank! :D

Unfortunately it was leaking coolant so the inlet manifold had to come back off and a hose tightened... then this happened again... then I found the clutch wasn't disengaging as I'd managed to put the friction plate on the wrong way round! So the gearbox had to come out again.....

However yesterday it was fired up and driven out the garage for the start of the run in period. I completed 27 miles without any issues and have done the first oil change. There is a small oil leak from the crank seal on the gearbox side (even though a new seal was fitted) but other than that it seems to be running well. The brakes also feel a lot better with the ABS removed as I'd hoped. The mot is tomorrow and then the running in will continue up to that magic 1000mile mark where I can hopefully enjoy the car for a while!

IMG_20140608_162230274_zps0e5ec279.jpg

IMG_20140608_162543788_zps90712dbc.jpg

IMG_20140608_162451890_zps4b943f11.jpg

IMG_20140608_162421041_zps1cd6e3a4.jpg

IMG_20140608_162345440_zpscfea9aaf.jpg

IMG_20140608_162318963_zpsde6f6bec.jpg

New 3" OMP harnesses:

IMG_20140608_162333222_HDR_zpsaf1eb51e.j

IMG_20140608_162215934_zps36bcb646.jpg

IMG_20140608_162508407_HDR_zps24d813db.j

All this is well and good but I'm not expecting this engine to last forever.... it's going to get abused on track once run in and re-dyno'd:)

So I guess I'll have to look into boring out the other engine and finding some nice forged pistons to fill the holes.... then I'll maybe start racing it. :D

Edited by WallaceGlanza

Looking good mate, them wheels are epic :)

On the first page, you have a picture of your Emanage-Blue, what are the cables in the three packets at the bottom of the picture? Still in the plastic bags? I only have the cable in the top right so wondering what these others are?

Cheers guys, I do love the wheels too!

The cables are the ignition and injector harnesses which you do want to have more options for mapping, the one on the left is for hooking up the E-01 to the emanage so not needed.

It was the mot today.... and it was a fail, on 7 things! The one show stopper is needing new brake pipes front to rear. :(