hi all

i am a bit of a newbie on here, just bought this standard 1985 ep70 boxy starlet with 40,000 on the clock one (old lady) owner from new.

bit of a classic, a true old school beast. :thumbsup:

bought to strip out and clean, when i got it home the interioir did not need touching, but striped it anyway!!!

the exterior was a bit naff and tatty but there was no need for welding (all done) :thumbsup:

this is the day after i got it, rear bumper already removed!!

side_before.jpg

grill removed staraight away

front_side_no_grill.jpg

centre caps needed loads of work (yes i am keeping it standard(for now!!!!))

centre_caps.jpg

all of the interior out and properly cleaned

front_interior_striped_cleaned.jpg

all the interior went back in the same day (was clean anyway, looks brand new :rolleyes: )

interior_in.jpg

engine bay was a bit of a state (in dire need of cleaning)

engine_before_cleaning.jpg

no longer dirty (2 hours of degreaser and elbow grease!)

engine_after_cleaning.jpg

making the nasty valance pretty again

painting.jpg

front end looking very pretty (photoshoped the plate out)

done_front.jpg

wheels fully repainted centre caps finally finished

done_wheel.jpg

started to tidy up the rear end (gets worse before it gets better)

rear_started.jpg

more pictures to come i am still working like a headless chicken in between GCSE exams with my dad (in painting picture). will upload pics as they are taken

please comment (good or bad i'm not offended)

james

p.s. am keeping it standard while i own it, don't suggest other wise, standard ones are getting hard to find and quite rare..... i may consider selling her if i get a good enough offer£££!!!£££!!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks flippin MINT dude.

Love that colour, and love the retro look. Would look nice modified but to be honest like you say you want to keep standard, for a first car you can't go wrong with this. Looks awsome standard anyway to be honest so keep it as is. :thumbsup:

Keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

Looks flippin MINT dude.

Love that colour, and love the retro look. Would look nice modified but to be honest like you say you want to keep standard, for a first car you can't go wrong with this. Looks awsome standard anyway to be honest so keep it as is. :thumbsup:

Keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

thanks mate

the colour is standard too, i was lucky to get such a nice looking starlet in a striking colour.

I think it is nice keeping it standard! Good work. :-)

I am a classic car fan (probably about the same age as your Dad :rolleyes::p:thumbsup::thumbsup: ) I bought my Starlet as a cheap runabout while one of my classics was being repaired, but I have come to realise from this site that that there is a lot of enthusiasm around these cars and they may become future classics in their own right as the Starlet is certainly a cut above other modern small cars.

Great to see an 80's one being restored!

Get some waxoyl in it once it is MOT'd to keep the rust at bay.

looks tidy you should de-wiper it when your at it

also a wee red stripe on the bumpers and side mouldings would be a nice touch :)

thanks bud

already put a silver one in the bumpers and trim, got no pics of that though yet

Looks fresh. you should so get the turbo body kit on that. :)

Can't wait for more updates!

this ones going to be standard, bit cheesy i know but standard ones are more rare than modded ones, if i were to have another one (sure i will) it will be modded with the best of 'em

Get yourself searching online for some odds and sods that are retro etc to have as a little touch..

Little retro touches don't mean modification, but do mean personalisation :)

You have a fantastic example with very low mileage! Good luck with the rest of your GCSE's too :p

Get yourself searching online for some odds and sods that are retro etc to have as a little touch..

Little retro touches don't mean modification, but do mean personalisation :)

You have a fantastic example with very low mileage! Good luck with the rest of your GCSE's too :p

i am adding a few little touches some are standard fitiments abroad and some because i like 'em but nothing too much

and thanks mate am working hard on the GCSE's at the moment

what you want is on of these. I'd love to own one.

ep71.jpg

i am sure i will eventually have a turbo, but the insurance will be high enough on mine when i pass my test!

Amazingly mint dude! I shall also be following this thread! :)

And OOOFT at Dan's link above :p

and thanks for the positives much appreciated

another little update for my starlet driving friends!!!!!

the drivers side of the car had been keyed quite bad (probably some jelous git) and touched up even worse (previous owner not me), not only that there were tiny bits of rust appearing around bad repairs (nothing major though, still quite a good condition car)

on saturday i set about spraying the whole drivers side of the car with my dad

we sprayed the whole rear quarter panel, door and wing after a good amount of filling and shaping. laqured too!

no photos yet as rain on sunday ruined my plans of some pictures and spraying the other side (luckily not the paint)

had to cover over the car quickly as the rain came just after i had masked the car on the passanger side.

Image0224.jpg

put a starlet sticker on each of the rear windows (hand draw on computer by me and machine cut!!!!)

Image0228.jpg

and a 12 valve sticker on each of the rear side strips (also machine cut by me) notice the silver tape in the trim as advised

Image0229.jpg

rear end was sprayed over half term week (sorry for the lateness of pics) also sprayed wiper arm black mettalic, boot handle too match, new reg plate and re fitted the badges

Image0225.jpg

Image0226.jpg

will get pics of the sprayed side this weekend after we have sprayed the passenger side (similar condition to drivers side)

once that is done i can then re fit the rear bumper, get polishing it and add the finnishing touches, god knows what i am going to add as touches at the min as i have temporarily run out of project funds (got enough paint to finnish it though so i am fine with that!!!)

keep commenting and i hope you like her

thanks for the comment mate,

i had noticed a differance in the boot lid too but i know 150% that the car is not imported

i have got recipts from when the car was repaired previously, will check it out (does not detract from the look of the car in my opinion)