The running out of petrol thread!

Well, I'm bored as it gets at work and was just thinking what my day has in store for me and sadly for me the most exciting thing about my day is going to fill the tank up in the V :D Sad I know.

Anyway, last weekend I went out with a few friends in one of their cars just for a drive and to get some awesome ice cream from Bonds in Elswick. I noticed that his fuel gauge said 0 miles. I did say to him that his fuel is like empty and he replied with 'it always says that its cool'. 10 mins later, dead!. No petrol -.-

Have any of you guys ever ran out of petrol in a unfortunate circumstances or know of any funny stories?

I've personally never ran out of petrol but all some of my mates are skint 24/7 so run it on red light all the time. They all have this 6th sense though, know exactly how far they can get to get every last drop out of it. let them down a couple of times as they have run out. can't be good for your car or fuel filter dragging through all that shit from the bottom of the tank.

They always set their mileometers to 0 when they hit the red. most cars can do 50+ miles in the red

I ran out in my mates BMW once. I was going to take the car to a garage to have some work done, the range said 0 miles but he lives 2 minutes from a fuel station. Wasn't too bad though as I just used one of his other cars to fill a canister.

Worst for me was filling my GT to the brim with diesel. When studying in Birmingham I'd come home every weekend due to business needs, and I'd head back very late Sunday mohy and arrive there for 2-3am. I would usually fill the tank up when I got there so that I didn't have to waste time filling it up on Friday before heading home. So I went to shell, I was quite worn out and started filling up. I went in and paid, and drove off. I got no further than 10 metres before the car cut out. I knew what I'd done straight away! Both my phone batteries were dead, so I was pretty much screwed! I found a taxi driver sleeping in his car, woke him up and got a taxi to my accommodation. I got two friends to keep me company and a few small water bottles, got a t's I back to the GT and started the job of removing the diesel for the tank. I'm lucky I had a toolkit with me, I remove the rear seats and fuel pump and scooped out the fuel using a 500ml Volvic bottle. It took about 2-3 hours and most of the diesel ended up in a drain, bad I know but I had nowhere else to put it! :rolleyes:

i work in a tesco express aliance site, so i see a lot of people put the wrong fuel in. i remember a few months ago i was looking for a drive off it was only £6 of diesel but what happened was the guy was filling up and started putting diesel in his car he got to £6 and then realised it was a petrol car so instead of telling his wife who owned the car he just grabbed the unleaded and filled it up. so they had a nice police man turn up at there door at midnight for the £6 lol. also had policewoman come in and fill the policevan with unleaded was hilarous especially when the van was full of police who were about to do a raid

I've ran out twice now :( only once in the starlet tho. no funny story just me being an idiot and thinking i would make it to the petrol station i was only about a mile away and wouldnt of broke down at all if the one near my work wasnt closed that day but a mate bailed me out and brought me petrol.

First time it was about a week after i past my test and it was on the side of the motor way, just stopped and waited for my mums mate to come rescue me and had a picnic on one of those police mound things was alright.

EVERY car i have bought it has ran out of petrol on the way home.... Glanza ran out litrelly as i got to the petrol station and i rolled to the pump like a BOSS.

Mx5 i ran out on a busy ring road at rush hour and had to leave it there pulled on the curb of the central resivation on the island while i walked 3 miles to get petrol LOL

The GT also ran out at the exact place the Glanza did but i didnt roll to the petrol station that time lol

I run out of petrol quite often in the GT as it used to drop so far below minimum before it cut out and me being lazy couldn't be bothered with Filling out.. So occasionally id push it too far haha..

You would have thought i'd have learnt after the first time of doing it but no not me haha

Never ran out in the SR.. Don't see why people go beyond the red line? :huh:

For me.. It gives me a Primeval high, It's the similar kinda buzz that i imagine 'Evil Kenevil' Gets..

"am i going to land this jump..."

"am i going to make it too the petrol station..."

Same kinda thing ;) haha

funny thread i must run out once a week lol i ran out yesterday in the BMW ffs as usual mom bailed me out! starlet

was really bad with not having a fuel warning light used to run out all the time including 2 times in 1 day whilst setting up my

boost lol. my biggest problem is even though the price of fuel goes up all the time! ive got it in my head that to £20 i need to get

at least 120 mile. even if im playing about i have to do this mileage lol so that's why i always run out :p

I ran out of petrol in a massive multistory car park. i ran out as i was coming in but managed to park it. so when i came back to it it wouldent start at all.

so i just pushed it out having to get my girlfriend to whip up the handbrake all the time when i was reaching the car infront because there was bumper to bumper traffic coming out of the car park for a good half hour 45 minutes, and i was on the 5th floor. fun fun fun :)

I never ran out ever before but my mate ran out of fuel once on the m5 about 2 miles from the pumps so he walked there with is work mate this is about 9 at nite on the way bk this saw smoke in the distance when they got close a fuckin lorry had hit the van and it was fucked and all over the road and van was on fire

Ran out once in my GT, gave a littel cough and then died, luckily got my dad to bring fuel!

Also when I had a 306 dturbo I stuck a tenner petrol in it, realised the next day when it struggled to start, luckily them things can run on anything so I took it to the nearest petrol station and brimmed it.

A friend text me last year when he brimmed his TDI A3 with petrol, his words were a "proper double clicker"!

never ran out so for. it seems as if i get a whole extra quarter from my sr. i'll run it on the red whilst it fades in and out but once it stays on permanently i know it's time to fill up!

does draining completely and filling up with one specific petrol do any justice or not though?

i'll run it on the red whilst it fades in and out but once it stays on permanently i know it's time to fill up!

Trust me, you have another 40 miles in there when it goes permanently on. My turned over to 40 miles on the mileometer on the red light before I couldn't take the anticipation any longer!

Trust me, you have another 40 miles in there when it goes permanently on. My turned over to 40 miles on the mileometer on the red light before I couldn't take the anticipation any longer!

i've never even ran out of of petrol completely, might get a jiffy and see how far i can push it. never even seen how much petrol i can squeeze in. it gets to the full mark on 40, but i'd love to see how much you could get out of a completely squeezed tank.

• 1 year later...