what performance modifications can be made to the starlet SR ep91 4E-FE engine? example: what cams, ect would fit? any advice is great, thanks :)

Engine:

5EFHE cams (not 5EFE)

Lightened pulley sets

Head skim for compression

Ported head

Valve springs (there are some uprated valves springs for 4EFTE that can be used in the 4EFE. Eg: speedvision, cruise)

Exhaust:

4-2-1 corolla bugeye exhaust manifold

OBX racing 5e manifold

Hotshots 4e manifold (rocking horse shit, hens teeth etc)

Custom mani back exhaust (or cat-back)

Heatwrap

Fuelling:

Corolla bug eye injectors (beige/brown in color)

Fuel Pressure Regulator (to help with map)

After market Uprated Ignition leads

Spark plugs NGK heat range 6 or 7)

Could go coilpacks if going nuts but probably not needed)

Inlet:

Corolla bug eye inlet (tubular manifold)

4efte inlet manifold

4efte Throttle Body

Cooling:

Civic alloy dual/triple core radiator (personal preference on core)

Air filter (apexi is tried and tested, but whatever you can afford)

Low temp thermostat

Drive train:

Lightened flywheels (various after market ones available)

If you go for an off the shelf flywheel, you may need to buy the equivalent FTE clutch kit because the n/a lightened flywheels are really hard to come by

Corolla G6r 6 speed gearbox (requires shifter unit and cable mount brackets, possibly the actual selector cables) i may be wrong but its do-able

Lightened and balanced crank (if your going all out why not. should get the clutch and flywheel balanced at the same time as the crank)

LSD (they are available for the n/a 5 speed but rare. same as the 6speed. best off buying a glanza box and lsd if you dont go 6speed

Management:

Best way to go is aftermarket ecu, Emanage, Motec, Megasquirt etc (key modification to get the best out of these mods, if your going this crazy)

THEN to control all the gained power (probably only around 30bhp if your lucky)

Brakes:

Levin Twinpot callipers and corolla d4d discs (unsure if they are the correct discs, but there are enough people on here runnign sets to find out)

Celica st205 Twinpots (think they are the same as the levin twinpots)

Celica st185 big pot calliper (unsure on discs but will refer back to this when i do)

GT/Glanza carriers and disc's

Then there are the bigger aftermarket kits like wms, k-sport willwood etc. (bit overkill but if you like flashy then go for it)

Suspension/Chassis:

Whiteline adjustable rear anti-roll bar

Front and rear strut braces

Coilovers (dont go lowering springs if your buying for performance)

I found the c-pillar bar helped aswell

Anti lift kit

Uprated front anti-roll bar

Polybush engine mounts

Any other various strengthening bars

The biggest difference maker is weight saving. so what ever you dont need, get gone (rear seats, right through to smaller batteries and taking a dump before travelling etc)

AND MOST OF ALL: keep it serviced and looked after!

I hope this has helped you, if i can think of anything else ill add to this list :)

Ryan

Oooft, thats a fair amount available mods there ^ Shame nobody goes to that extent though. Would actually love to buy a JDM N/A ep82 and go all out. Almost bought that soliel (< spelling) that was for sale awhile back. Kicking myself now, he only wanted 300 quid for it.

If it's an NA then just do the handling mods, you will have to spend a fortune to gain 30bhp and unless set up by a tuner you will more than likely run less power!!!

The NA's that have been done on here have not seen massive gains at RR days but the owners have been disappointed ;)

Wait and save a couple of years then buy a Turbo!!

John

Edited by ro55ifumi

Nice list there Ryan!

I'd back up what John's said, just make it handle! With engine performance a K&N panel filter, Corolla/FTE inlet, and maybe cat-back is where I'd leave it!

For braking, GT/Glanza Carriers and discs are a sufficient upgrade for the 4efes

I had a jdm 421 mani and a jdm ep85 100ps engine with all the full set up and ecu injectors etc etc could sell em for love nor money, but the pikey scrap van that came round was more than happy to take em away and get em of me drive for me. no wonder their rare lol no one seems to want em when their there lol.

• 9 months later...

With pulleys, headwork, tubular intake together with the stock tb widened to 50mm, Obex 4-2-1 Exhaust, Green Twister Filter and cold air induction, Glanza S Fuelrail and Emanage "motion" made like 115bhp.

I would be happy having that. More than double that of a 1N!! and if someone can make another 15 it will be equivalent to astock 4efte

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I got myself an E11 bugeye tubular intake manifold some time ago that a friend of mine has glassblasted and i've painted it past week. I've also got an E11 as E10 throttle body as well.

Should i only use the E11 manifold or should i also use the E11 throttle body?

How many gains can i expect from only the manifold? I know it won't be 20 horses, but i'm curious if it might be around 5-10 hp or so??

thanks

Pictures (not completely satisfied with the results, but it's difficult to paint!):

how it was:

th_IMG-20141015-WA0000.jpg

how it is now:

th_IMG-20141113-WA0002.jpeg

th_IMG-20141113-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by onnaj1000

Hi guys,

I got myself an E11 bugeye tubular intake manifold some time ago that a friend of mine has glassblasted and i've painted it past week. I've also got an E11 as E10 throttle body as well.

Should i only use the E11 manifold or should i also use the E11 throttle body?

How many gains can i expect from only the manifold? I know it won't be 20 horses, but i'm curious if it might be around 5-10 hp or so??

thanks

Pictures (not completely satisfied with the results, but it's difficult to paint!):

how it was:

th_IMG-20141015-WA0000.jpg

how it is now:

th_IMG-20141113-WA0002.jpeg

th_IMG-20141113-WA0000.jpeg

have seen that manifold used before i thinks.

made like 500hp.

but it was on a 5e turbo.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going the 4EFTE route, at least not yet and not in this Starlet ;-)

Just wondering if i could also swap a Glanza S ECU together with the Corolla mani? That could possible be a 10 hp upgrade which is about 15% extra.

Edited by onnaj1000
  • 5 months later...