• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys.

Mods are on hold for a bit now until half term.

The brakes are up for renewal next, as they are rubbish. Got a full set of OEM discs pads and bearings to swap in as well as braided lines. Then once the discs are bedded in, I'll find some harder compound pads.

Have purchases a few bits for the V.

One of Wepr's ct9 OEM manifolds to remove the 3rd runner restrictions

And a gizzmo ms-isc ebc to give better boost control when I start pushing the limits of the standard turbo. This will allow me to have multiple modes so on the daily drive the boost can be turned down to save wear etc.

I'm hoping for some good weather end of October to get the brakes finally sorted.

Here's a subtle mod courtesy of MCM

I gutted a shift light I bought off eBay and mounted it behind my rev counter. This worked ok for a while, but was very patchy.

I then had a brain wave. Using a flexible led strip normally used for Audi style drls connected to the shift light electronics, I ended up with the below:

http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/trog_nfs/media/FA68F37A-00E8-4734-A36E-8E9FC243F6ED-11261-00000134A7A19BC2_zpsc0b12b04.mp4.html

Edited by Mr. Chem
  • 3 months later...

Stickers came from eBay. Guy from Taiwan does sheets of "jdm stickers" their individual which makes it a bit easier.

The V had been suffering from a boost leak the last few weeks. Really laggy and only hittin 0.7bar

Turned out to be the hot pipe

Can you see the hole?

B21B5B1C-4181-41EB-BD0F-97EE4884E253_zps

It was a little gouged when I got it, but yep that's a hole.

Was rubbing on the air con pipe.

Slacked off one of the air con brackets, and sleeved the pipe

Good as new

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I finally got round to doing the brake service id had the bits for for ages.

4 discs, rear bearings, all pads and braided lines.

It's taken me 2 days to do for a number of reasons. Firstly because they haven't been apart since the car left japan. Secondly because the weather has been pants.

Some interesting discoveries were made. The rear bearings had been packed with grease reasonably recently, but were loose. Like falling off loose. The inner grease was black and there was brown shit on the bearings. My guess is the garage that imported it fudged them together to just about pass it's first mot. I'm surprised they hadn't failed, although the noise was getting a little obscene.

Then there was the start of the rear brakes. The sliders were blue. The metal must have got ridiculously hot, as the metal had heat reacted. The pads were glazed too. I guess they had been seized on for a while.

Something I didn't realise is that the OEM Toyota brake disc and bearing kit ( the one idworkz sell) doesn't come with a split pin or grease seal. I had to very carefully remove the old seal from the discs to reuse. A mate brought some new split pins however.

Whilst the calipers and carriers were off I painted them too. When it's daylight I'll get some pics, but I went with silver to keep them reasonably OEM looking.

Front brakes were much easier to do, as no need to remove bearings to get discs out.

Bled with some super dot 4 fluid ( the old stuff was brown) the brakes certainly feel firmer, but got to wear them in before I can test them for real.

Just got to wait for a window motor to appear from socks to replace my broken drivers one, and then in the summer the car is ready for a new manifold and EBC. If needs be I'll add some harsher brake pads too once I've bedded the discs in with the standard ones.