What tyres to go for for winter

Hi all I'm running about 250 to 300 bhp & I'm really struggling to drive my car in this rubbish weather I'm running a quaife diff & 888's awesome in the dry but need to buy a spare set of tyres for the winter

I've tryed ad08s on my 182 track car I had awesome in the dry but hurendos in the wet

I've tryed fedral 595 rsr's good all round tyres but didnt get on very well in the wet again

I tryed prada spec 2s took them off with in a week lol.

So any suggestions would be ideal

Many thanks mosley

i would totally go with rainsports aswell.no doubt

i ran some r888s in the wet (heavy rain)about 4 weeks ago on a 80mile round trip and i cant count how many times i aqua-planed.

was a fooking dangerous journey,i have had my new set of t1rs on now for 3 weeks and there great in the dry,really bloody good infact but in the wet......hmmm.

just get rainsports

Why are you trying to put down 250-300bhp in a FWD car in the wet anyway? Your fighting a losing battle.

I do totally agree with this, I'm running 241bhp and I struggle. However I would suggest Goodyear eagle f1s?

I'm also interested, I need to chuck some rubber on a spare set of wheels for wet meetings.

So yeah, there is a time where you need to try and grip with your 250+hp FWD starlet in the wet AdamB, unless I become a fair weather driver and loose out on points....

I'm also interested, I need to chuck some rubber on a spare set of wheels for wet meetings.

So yeah, there is a time where you need to try and grip with your 250+hp FWD starlet in the wet AdamB, unless I become a fair weather driver and loose out on points....

Racing in a race series is a completely different ball game as you would no doubt also change your suspension setup to accommodate the lack of grip, I doubt you could be bothered to do this in a car used on the road every time it rains.

If you also race in a series then your governed as to what tires are permitted anyway so you would be far better off reading the regulations than asking on here.

Racing in a race series is a completely different ball game as you would no doubt also change your suspension setup to accommodate the lack of grip, I doubt you could be bothered to do this in a car used on the road every time it rains.

If you also race in a series then your governed as to what tires are permitted anyway so you would be far better off reading the regulations than asking on here.

That's basically like saying that no ones opinion on here is valid because they don't compete with there car? At the end of the day, you still get a good idea of how well a tyre performs in the wet whether it be on the road, or on track.

The regulations request that any 'e-marked' tyre can be used, so I'm fairly sure that's the same as what's aloud on the road.

Sorry I asked the car club of which I am a member of for an opinion dude :)

I do totally agree with this, I'm running 241bhp and I struggle. However I would suggest Goodyear eagle f1s?

Ive just changed to eagle F1s and think they are awesome!

Much better than the toyo t1r's i had previously

That's basically like saying that no ones opinion on here is valid because they don't compete with there car? At the end of the day, you still get a good idea of how well a tyre performs in the wet whether it be on the road, or on track.

The regulations request that any 'e-marked' tyre can be used, so I'm fairly sure that's the same as what's aloud on the road.

Sorry I asked the car club of which I am a member of for an opinion dude :)

The OP never stated he raced the car so I assumed it was just a daily or weekend toy. Lets face it you can count on one hand how many people compete with their starlets anyway.

There's no way you can get any sort of idea how a tyre performs on the track by driving it on the road, two completely different scenario's. The surface for one is totally different, a long with tyre pressures etc.

Never meant to come across shitty mate, just stating that not many people on here compete in starlets. I would say the best thing you can do is go a long to a few wet race meetings and check out the FWD competition and see what tyres they are using.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say i totally agree with adams comments. Yes you will get an idea of whats good for a wet road tyre but a track is a totally different level to a road drive. What works well on a road may lose you a ton of grip and time on a track under all the different stresses and forces that high speed driving on a proper surface will create. It was quite a fair and helpful comment tbh. I personally have a 4wd starlet with snow tyres on for the winter haha unless it sells by the time the weather turns :(

I intend to run V70a / V700 in a medium compound in the dry and either a R1R or AD08 in the wet.

The biggest problem with wet grip is getting enough heat into the tyre for it to work, something soft like the R1R or AD08 should work well, it certainly does for my friend who i'll be racing in the same series as next year. A box fresh R888 / A048 can also work well in the wet, just enough tread to clear water and soft enough to get some heat into them.

The problem we'll all have is getting heat into the rear tyres, the car is so light at the back it's ridiculous.

Getting the heat into the tyre shouldn't be a problem providing your running the correct size, don't expect a 225 tyre to be able to hold heat in poor conditions as well as a 195 tyre for example as the greater surface area allows the tyre to cool much more.

I would be looking into a proper wet tyre, a slick tyre will not cut it as it has no tread blocks to disperse the water, which in itself makes the car even trickier to handle.