I've had similar, came to set lights of after gave it some beans. If juders the car as its going to stall. I look at rpm and its way below the usual place it sits

Yup that's it exactly! Except recently it has started actually cutting out and not starting in the morning and things...

This morning especially, turned it over and expected same thing as last week, it cutting out straight away, so had foot on throttle and it did try and cut out but I caught it and revved it a little. Made some seriously weird noises, like clunking from the engine bay, and whole car shook, not like a stall shake felt like the engine itself was shaking the car. It stopped and drove like normal after. I'm getting the feeling she's fucked.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just ordered a shit load of 50 cal detailing products. Can't wait to try it out. Had a sniff at some of their wax at a show here few weeks ago and it smells fantastic.

She might be fucked inside but on the outside I still wanna make her shine

Found out what happened the other mornjng! She decided to become a fiat panda for the day. Did a bit of investigation and recreated exactly what she did by getting her to run off two cylinders. So somehow yeah she was off not just one but two cylinders...

Hasn't happened since.

Also big issue that's really confused me and Joel. Oil was at e line, I was trying to fill it and it just wouldn't move up the dipstick. Almost 2L Later it was half full. There's no way half a tank is 2L. But there's no leaks and it's still at half, two days later.

So so confused. But today is the day we strip the old engine down and give it a good clean! So hopefully next weekend or the weekend after we'll build the new one.

That's bizarre, I wonder where the other 0.6l of oil went. I can't wait until you strip this one down and see what's going on.

Just got more bizarre. Checked it again, cold, flat surface. I haven't added anymore.

It was over full.

Clearly she hides oil somewhere and waits til I'm about to top it up to magically refill herself.

Anyway, got the new engine stripped. Good thing we rebuilt instead of just slamming it in as the piston ring was all jammed up, which is what we're assuming is making my current engine use oil too.

So it's all ready to be built once the gasket kit arrives with some GT turbo rods and the same Pistons we took out but just with new rings.

Everything looks good. Crank was turning very freely, rod caps looked very clean so the oil was kept topped up anyway. Head bolts looked brand new and it looked like the head gasket has been previously changed.

So it looks like a great engine to rebuild. Going to clean out inside the head and all tomorrow to get it finally ready to be rebuilt, then once the gasket kit arrives we'll build it.

I can't wait to finally have a lovely smooth running engine :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also she's clean ish and it's sunny so here's some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Figured out the Rev problem!!

For some reason we can't work out, there was a corolla vacuum sensor in her. We were changing out a few sensors and noticed the part number was wrong compared to the starlet one we were gonna change it to. So we changed it and low and behold my revs are fixed. Sitting perfect at 1000 where just before they were sitting at like 250 on idle and doing the whole going up and down thing. All fixed now.

Thank god.

A Corrolla sensor??? WTF!!!! lol

Also, words cannot describe how very very jealous I am that I wasn't off today to come and hang out during the engine work. You're both gearheading it up in the sun, and I'm at work. Fail.

Hope tomorrows work goes well!!!

Phil.

I have to admit it was a nice day, we did it all out the back so I got nicely burnt ha.

Yeah we've either fixed or broken it more cause a shit load of smoke is coming out the exhaust and it's popping like a bitch so it either was fucked uP and we've fixed it so now she's shitting out all her crap or we've fucked her up more. Rev issue is fixed though and we're getting some mad pops and bangs out of her which sound unreal!

https://vimeo.com/124635175

Are you turboing it or just rebuilding it beth??

I'm rebuilding a spare engine with GT turbo rods and a turbo rocker cover so I can run it as n/a til I turn 21 in August then I'm going to strap a ct9 on :)

my money is on that she is shitting out all the crap that has built up since running like a pig with that sensor. she sounds like she's responsive and free reving there to me. 

looking forward to an update on the progress!

Phil. 

I think I agree with you. Since switching the sensors she has been running unbelievably. I loved her when she was running like a pig and now I can't even describe how fun she is to drive. Can't believe such a small sensor was causing so many problems.

Also we just found out my starlet has a cabin air filter, which has never been changed from new. So we need a new one haha. Took it out and cleaned it and my vents are so much better already.

Genuinely feel like I've got a new car, and we haven't even put the new engine in yet haha

Looovely!

:D thanks

So happy with the products. Anyone looking a new detailing regime I 100% recommend 50cal detailing. They're local to me and customer service was unreal. Plus the products themselves are the best I've ever used. Never seen my car bead so well with only one quick coat of polish and wax.

And no they didn't pay me to pump them up :p I'm just massively chuffed with their products! Genuinely never seen a white car get so shiny.

im so happy with how she's driving now. Had her out tonight driving around with a friend for like 4 hours. Not constant driving obviously, still keeping an eye on her. But no rev issues. And I hadn't had her turned over in a few days and on she pops this morning no problem. A little gurgle and revs dropped but then back up and no issues after.

No more smoke, blue or white, unless I go well towards 5-6k rpm which is very rarely.

If this is all from changing one little sensor I cannot wait to see what happens with a whole new engine, and then a turbo!