Nope I didn't dyno, really wanted to but can't afford to blow this engine up as she's my daily, and I can't drive her above 4000rpm for long before smoke and weird smells follow!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great b! Any threads on here with pics of the rest of the cars? :)

Yup! In the Irish section of the events, and on the most recent page of the Northstar's rolling road day there's a bunch of photos!

so actually getting round to doing some stuff to this!

definitely going to fit the cusco rear arb and rear strut brace this weekend, plus change a few sensors cause she's overfuelling. Also need to have a look at the exhaust, sounds like the heatshield is rattling off something.

Also going to fit my oem armrest, which was postponed as we need to take the seats out to do it because they're in the way haha.

also if the weather tomorrow is alright I'm planning on giving her a good clean, been cleaning her A LOT the past few weeks so she doesnt really need it but its so much easier to do when shes already clean rather than letting the dirt build up and then have to whip out the clay bar and fallout remover etc.

Plus there's a show/cruise here the last weekend in june and the more I polish her the smoother she'll be so gonna try and get one or two polishes in before the final one haha.

Being off from uni is a terrible thing, still struggle to understand why they give us a 4 month summer...

Also fixed fueling issues! Apparently someone must have changed all the sensors to ones that look similar but just don't quite cut out. The fuel regulator sensor was from a 5e haha so we swapped a 4e one in from a corolla but at least it was from the right engine, low and behold when I rev above 4k now I just get blue smoke no more black. Should keep my tailgate a bit happier anyway.

we think its the piston rings that are screwed, but to be honest the way this engine is going everything is probably fucked. I properly cannot wait to get it out and dissected to find out what its issue is haha.
For now! Something else is bound to blow up now that we've fixed every problem she's had.

I f**king knew it! Joel was talking me through his theory on Saturday at Steve's, that someone must have swapped out random sensors and fuel pressure regs and Lord knows what else! And low and behold, Mr Joel was bang on the money!!!!

So random! For such a clean car, that obviously was well looked after, at least for the main part, before we picked it up in England, it is hiding some one the most random bullshit problems I have ever seen! Like, what on earth could the explanation be for those weird-ass changes! They make no sense! Was it a piss poor attempt to make 100bhp??? who knows!

Glad to hear you have the fuelling sorted B!!!! Top marks to Joel for figuring out that one! Hero!!!

Phil.

Yup the shit that man knows and figures out I swear to god he's like a car robot!

We had a brief moment of holy shit, is this a sneaky 5e?! But it's definitely just a 4e sadly :(

Who knows what they were trying to do but it definitely didn't help! Considering, like you said, how well looked after it was, I'm going to assume they ragged the shit out of it and tried to get it to be faster than it actually was, and in the process destroyed the internals! I don't see how else it could be so fucked with so few miles!

So true, genuinely one of my biggest issues is when people especially with modified cars, don't look after them right. Especially nice jap ones. I'm only 20 and a girl who only got into the scene 4/5 years ago and I know how to look after my car better than most of my family members, as well as a shit tonne of other modifiers haha.
There's one or two starlets over here that break my heart cause I've seen them multiple times driving the car to the ragged edge on a standard engine. I'm all for having fun but you're just asking for shit, and if a starlet gets wrecked insurance won't do shit they'll just cat c it almost definitely.

you hit a soft spot there, haha im sure you can tell :p /rant

Tell me about it. There's loads round here with Golfs that drive them like knobs and wouldn't know a socket from a hammer. Hate to think how many perfectly good cars end up in the scrappy because people just don't know or don't care to service them at all, let alone twice a year. I've only been at this for a year or so but the thought of actually scrapping a car because you couldn't be assed to spend £100/year on fluids and literally 2 hours every 6 months on checking it over and fixing small problems physically pains me.

Completely agree on the insurance as well, I'm so much more careful with the starlet than I ever have been with my other halfs 2013 Kia because I know for a fact that if there's damage I can't fix myself, the insurance is worthless.

That's why I like this forum so much, though. A bunch of people who actually give a shit about the state of their cars, gives me a bit of hope haha.

It's the same here, most of the scene is about welding your diff, lowering it to within an inch of its life and then diffing it everywhere so most cars last 1 year or less.

Or the other end of the scale with 18 year olds getting finance on brand new golf r's that they keep for a year then trade in. I don't see the point.

So we got lots done!

Fixed the rattle of my exhaust, fitted my cusco anti roll bar and rear strut brace, and my oem arm rest.

Also painted the rest of my clock surround and centre console to match the clocks :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Excuse the mess in my boot haha

Posted Image

Lighting went weird so they look grey but they're the same as:

Posted Image

Thanks sir! The improvement from the arb and strut brace is unreal! I barely feel bumps in the road anymore and going round corners is nice now!

I can't wait for Sunday! Hope the weather is as nice as it was today!

Have a serious bone to pick with the PSNI haha, anyone who has me on fb will see my ongoing issue with them. I so appreciate that loads of cars over here are illegal modified and what not and that the traffic branch are meant to deal with traffic offences, so there's no point saying "why arent they out stopping murders" etc.
But some seriously dodgy policing was going on tonight. I was cruising up the motorway, in the middle lane because it was about 1/2 a mile away from where the left lane leaves and it becomes a two lane dual carriageway (I had been in the left lane up until this point.)
Undercover cop car (they've pulled me over before and I noted the reg haha, so I'm 100% sure it was them before I even got a look at them) pulls up unreasonably close, like properly tailgating me. I've had this happen to me before, undercover cars trying to get me to speed but I was sitting at the limit so whatever.
My main issue was that they continued to follow me for miles, sitting at the speed limit, while two cars come into the left lane (which was basically a long slip road at this point) and undertook me, and cars were passing me well over the speed limit in the outer lane.

Eventually when the motorway opened up to five lanes, I moved over because it split into two different roads, and they stayed on the other side, where they sped up to pull up beside me and both of them fully glared in for ages.

I appreciate that car in particular has pulled me before, but seriously when it gets to the point that they're so convinced a modified car is going to do something wrong just because its modified, that they ignore people actually breaking the law, I just don't know what to do anymore!

Anyway, I just seriously needed a rant to people who wouldn't tell me that if I didn't want harassed I should just buy a "normal car", which believe it or not someone said to me when I told them this story.

Sorry, /rant haha

I'm so used to it now Phil that I just ignore them! It happens to me so much. I know what cars the cops have and where they use them so I'm always watching out for them. I have utmost respect for PSNI but the traffic branch seem to have nothing better to do these days!

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just trying to get an easy few £ out of me. :(