Anyone know if a head gasket is away, and coolant is mixing with oil, does white smoke come out? It only seems to come out if I change down gear and then accelerate, or if I accelerate hard up a hill or something. Haven't checked coolant levels or dipstick yet but planning on doing that after uni. The smoke isn't that thick just puffs of white. :'(

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so checked oil and she's done haha. used half her oil in a week.
Going to pick up a new engine with same mileage on saturday, hopefully get them changed over this weekend too.

Not sure what to do, use the current scrapheap engine as a learning tool, take it out and strip it down completely and build it back up with a few big changes over the next year while running the new, standard 4e, or scrap the engine thats burning oil, and when i turn 21 and can afford insurance, just buy/build what I want then.
Probably cost me more to rebuild current engine as I'd need to replace almost all the internals for what I'm planning - not forging - and also both the manis. But in the process I would learn how to strip and build an engine, something I've always wanted to do.

Either way, the problem is fixed for now, well at least as long as i get the new engine on saturday.

Beth

If you're only using the current engine until you can afford the insurance on a swap, I'd just run the scrapheap 4e until you can do what you want. No point throwing money at an engine that you're going to ditch anyway. And if you need a base 4e for whatever you're planning (can't wait to find out, by the way), at least you'll have 2 to work with so you can swap parts over etc if needed. Sucks that you're having so many problems at the moment, really feel for you. It'll be worth it when she's running sweet again though :)

Yeah I'm gonna use my current engine to rebuild with a lot of upgrades (bought my first one today off EP performance! - super rare JDM parts for the winz!)

So no engines will be wasted! :) and I'll learn how to strip and build an engine

Beth

So now that I have started to buy parts for it, I think it's about time I let everyone know what my plan is. Was hesitant to say in case something went wrong but it's pretty set in stone now considering I spent quite a lot buying parts for it today.

It's nothing too exciting. Current engine will be striped and rebuilt with a ct9 turbo and 4EFTE internals. Gonna run around 1.1 bar and hoping to hit around 180, because I can't afford to forge so that's as high as I'm willing to try and go for now. So basically a glanza conversion, but with higher boost and a few upgrades, like a certain genuine blitz big bore hot pipe and dump valve i bought today. ;)

Also purchased some genuine toyota factory wind deflectors to replace my hekos.

So excited for this now that I'm starting to collect parts. Hopefully have it built at latest by next summer, since i'll be doing it all myself so there will be a lot of looking stuff up and asking questions haha.

Beth.

Just internals from a FTE. It's really just a glanza swap but I'm building the engine instead of buying it haha.

I was tempted to run a hybrid ct9 and try to push to 210/220 but I don't wanna risk running that power on non forged internals. 180 will do me just perfect.

New engine picked up. Looks good, needs a few little things done to it, nothing major though. Should be able to swap within the next week or two.

Anyone who's done a conversion, personal preference on loom swappage - dunno whether to just get a glanza engine loom or swap over internal loom too?

Also, best plug and play ECU? Kinda want a Blitz one because I seem to be having a blitz theme going on in the engine bay at the minute haha. But any other ones recommended for this kind of build would be great.

Already have an inlet mani and perhaps some glanza internals (rods I think) from my boyfriend.

When the engines are swapped, the new n/a one going in that I'll be running for the next 9/10 months will be kept completely standard. Replacing the rolla mani with a standard one, taking the breather off etc. Only thing I'm going to keep is the air filter.

So excited for my wind deflectors to arrive hopefully late this week. Always preferred the look of the toyota ones to heko ones. Will give her a good clean and get photos up.

Beth.

Did a mini service. Oil is still dropping week by week so still topping that up as I go, but hopefully this forte stuff I'm getting will help.
New plan of action is to try and save the current engine because we know its a great engine apart from the oil thing, whereas we've no idea about the compression etc on the new one, so we could go through the hassle of swapping and then it's just as bad or worse.

And then the rebuild will be done to the new engine, still gonna strip it and rebuild it all.

Also, tried to fix the back pressure problems in the exhaust by replacing the obx mani with one from an ep80 and swapped in a custom downpipe.
So far seems to have worked and my God she sounds like a kitten purring now!

Still waiting on confirmation of the blitz hot pipe and wind deflectors being sent off, haven't been in contact with browner since last friday so might try shooting him a text on monday to double check all is ok.

Beth

Getting paint this weekend :D

Don't know what to do, getting my wings skirts and front bumper painted next weekend and dunno whether to stick them on it wait til all the parts are painted and put them all at once?

So excited either way :D

Love this thread, if you take off your rolla mani could I have first dibs?

Thanks!

It's not mine to say yes or no to that unfortunately! I stole it off my boyfriend haha but I'll definitely ask him if he has plans for it, cause I won't need it with the new engine. :)

I'll ask him when he gets home from work. He normally doesn't sell things in case he ever needs them again but I'll ask anyway! And if it does go, you have first dibs haha.

Update pics will be coming this weekend maybe possibly? It depends on the weather tomorrow cause I might give her a proper clean! :) Deffo pics next weekend though as my parts are getting painted :D