Second hand prices. Why do we do it?

Most people are in it for the money.

Personally if I've had something sitting for a while ill get rid of it for what i think is usually under priced unless its something that is worth a few 100 and is generally worth it.

I've sent a few bits of for the cost of postage and a couple of quid. And in some cases I've covered all the costs and posted little bits just to help people out And I've had the favours returned by other members on here. I think the long term members are willing to help people out more than the noobs just because theyve had it happen to them before.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I know you're my girlfriend so we share a lot of views but I couldn't agree more with everything you said. (apart from having to pay a price for something when I didn't think it was worth it. I guess I'd try to consider feeling ripped off as treating myself to ease the burn lol)

I think I worded it wrong... I meant I wouldn't pay for something overpriced, unless I genuinely needed it. Still then I'd feel like my arsehole was being ripped.

everyone tries to squeeze every penny they can out of this scene

No they dont, a select few do, as said before theres big groups of pals on here which generally help each other out and will do cheap parts. But that doesnt mean that we have to do all our parts cheap to people youve never met that live hundreds of miles away, scene or no scene thats just not a viable option man.

No they dont, a select few do, as said before theres big groups of pals on here which generally help each other out and will do cheap parts. But that doesnt mean that we have to do all our parts cheap to people youve never met that live hundreds of miles away, scene or no scene thats just not a viable option man.

They do a little bit. A select few is far from reality.. Every man and his dog are turning into full time breakers.

No one gives a shit about these numerous cars they are pulling apart.

Rarer versions - being broke because they know they'll fetch more, rather than keeping and preserving so they are still here being a rare model?

Edited by JoJo123

fair play I shouldn't have worded it as "everyone" although I think the majority do just think about the money outcome rather than helping others.

Edit: Thinking about it there are also one or two that have helped me out heavily even though it was ages ago now. Dave Heart on here sold me a full exhaust a few years ago for pennies. Never met the guy and couldn't thank him enough. Probably the nicest person I've met in the scene. And in turn I then went on eventually to sell that exhaust for the same price to another member. Was nice! But was the only substantial deal that I recall (there would have been other people once or twice over 5 years I'm sure)... Socks helps me out with a lot of little "throw away" items too and in turn I help him with all mechanical jobs when he needs a hand, helped him break cars when he needs a hand and I do all his paint work and body repairs for basically material costs and a tank of fuel. But then we've been friends for almost 10 years, so understandable..... (Just saying that I agree a few people help each other, but doesn't rule out then how we can charge everyone else a fortune lol)

Edited by aaddzz123

If off to open a thread about over use of the word scene

:)

On another note browner did me a super price on the Brandnew forged pistons I've now up for sale so someone can get a bargain if they want :)

Phil

Edited by Philm

They do a little bit. A select few is far from reality.. Every man and his dog are turning into full time breakers.

No one gives a shit about these numerous cars they are pulling apart.

Rarer versions - being broke because they know they'll fetch more, rather than keeping and preserving so they are still here being a rare model?

Im not defending breaking them, i dont really like it but its not going to stop anytime soon so i'll just have to accept it :)

Most of the starlets that are being broken as far as i can see are the poor condition ones or crashed ones. The last 3 or so Socks has broken for example. Many of the others are being stripped of the aftermarket parts and then the shells with many standard parts are being passed / sold on. Like lots of the ones Browner breaks for example are still kept on the road. Just gives someone else a blank canvass to start from scratch. And as for rare models being broken, i cant really recall what id class as a rare model being openly broken on here for some time, ie an Advance, red 98 spec, 4paw etc. But im sure someone will have a quick skim through and correct me :p

I'm new to the "scene", so a lot of the discussion of historical prices is well over my head, so I'm not going to throw my 0.02 in there.

Sometimes, I see things on here and wonder if the seller really thinks they're going to get what they're asking. On the other hand, there's been a few times in the couple of months that I've been here that people have helped me out. And it's not like anyone here knows me, or has any reason to do me any favours.

Guess what I'm getting at is it could always be worse, everyone on here could be a reet bunch of dicks. And it is a bit reassuring to know that the 15 year old 1.3 hatchback on my drive is worth a bit of something, even if only in pieces.

Good job you weren't in the scene years ago when prices for parts were actually worth something, when you had no replica parts, when people like Shorty spent hours searching yahoo auctions for his cruise parts.

The costs of parts now for me personally is at the lowest, the costs of gt's and glanzas are at a all time low hence why so many younger people are obtaining them and want replica body work and something for nothing when it comes to mods.

I'm glad that there being broken and in a few years there should only be enthusiast owned forum examples left, then we can dictate the prices of parts and get the scene back up to what it used to be. A rare jdm car with more value.

Just my two pence and I'm sure a lot of the older lot on here will be thinking similarly.

• 2 weeks later...

I now agree with this, I just sold some sparco ns2 alloys that were in major need of a refurb I mean major and 4 flat tyres that chances are were no good for £60 and people were saying I was stupid to sell them for that when there rough as a badgers ass hole, useless tyres and ugly as fuck with scene tax removed

I now agree with this, I just sold some sparco ns2 alloys that were in major need of a refurb I mean major and 4 flat tyres that chances are were no good for £60 and people were saying I was stupid to sell them for that when there rough as a badgers ass hole, useless tyres and ugly as fuck with scene tax removed

60 does sound like a good price in general but then if they're scabby and need refurbishing then most professionals charge roughly £80 a wheel and then if you need tyres that's another £150 at least. So £530 later you can have a nice set of wheels with new budget tyres. Is it really that cheap?

I appreciate that from first thought they might seem cheap but when you realistically think about it, it's a fair price and i'm sure the new owner appreciates that they need a lot of work hence the price.

Hmmm..

Buys a GT for approx £1400 (May be cheaper)

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/75915-my-mk1-gt-for-sale/

Full Respray £1000 from a body shop but you did It your self so call it £500?

Toyo Sports TD04 kit probably free seen as though they're no good

TD04 turbo £40? Which you claim to have purchased one at that price

FMIC £50

APEXI exhaust £100?

All other bits and bobs £300?

Total cost for car and all the new bits you've done to it = £2390

Kept the car for 4 months

Selling it for £3800?

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/86084-mk1-gt-for-sale-fresh-paint-td04/

By the looks of it £1410 scene tax hmm

Then complain about prices, bit cheeky if you ask me :)

Aamir

Coming from someone selling rear lights more expensive than toyota lol. Mate the whole topic is about selling second hand parts not cars. I bought a mk1 because it's the original gt, I bought it so cheap because it was in a bad shape, it had numerous running problems along with bodywork issues that I have gradually fixed over the period that I've had it and done to a high standard.

The respray in contrast to other resprays I've compared to, would have cost around £1,500. So the respray and the car alone is £3,000. The fact I can paint cars for a living is irrelevant. The suspension, exhaust, td04 conversion which is braced also before you start slating that, front mount, fuel pressure regulator, cam belt, rear lights, standard wheel, gaskets amongst other stuff all cost me money, I'm changing the clutch and painting the engine bay, I'm painting the wheels and changing the tyres, I'm doing the tracking and giving everything a once over, all before I actually sell it on. Also then not to mention that £3,800 is a rough bash in the park going off what I've spent on it and the work I've put in along with taking into account it's a mk1 in absolute solid condition. I'm happy to listen to offers. As it stands it's not going anywhere until it's done.

You obviously didn't read what my rant was about and probably took offence seeing as you're one of the members selling stuff at extortionate prices. A whole car finished to a nice standard with months of constant work put into it in my eyes is worth a few hundred quid more than what was spent on it, just for sheer effort put in. However that isn't the case seeing as I wouldn't even be making anything at 3,800 which I doubt to get for it and ill end up taking a loss but in turn I've kept a nice example of a mk1 on the road instead of it hitting a scrap heap like dai said it would have gone or even more typical being broken for bits.

Edit: I'm trying to put a face to your name, aren't you the chap I was speaking to at jae about painting a bumper for you? I'm pretty sure it was you. With the Ipad taking lots of photos... Bit annoying that I say I'm happy to sort something out with you at a really good price in person and ask you to send me some pictures so I can help you out and then you're slating me for pricing on here?

Edited by aaddzz123

Firstly yeah I'm the lad who was speaking to you regarding getting my front bumper sprayed as I wanted to help another forum member out as you was offering this service on the link below:

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/82245-offering-small-paint-jobs-in-nottingham/

Also regarding "extortionate prices"

These retain at £158 plus delivery..

http://www.id-workz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1118_8_6&products_id=596

I was selling these £110 including delivery which is a tad over the going rate which I'm sure many people will agree with the price. They was in really good condition.

Also £1500 for a respray? Seriously? Who quoted you at that price if you don't mind me asking

So the fact that your selling a car which you put work in to isn't related to the thread? In my eyes that's relevant to the thread but on a bigger scale. Because your complaining I was selling my rear lights for an 'extortionate' price (£48 less than what they retail at) yet you bought a GT for £1400 or something along them lines and selling it for more than double the price £2400 more to be precise. I just don't really see how you can complain.

Also regarding "professionally" refurbishing the Sparco's for £80 per wheel lol!

Prestine the professional refurbishing company charge £60 per wheel. I also believe that Ben under priced the wheels but that's my opinion of course :)

Aamir

Prestine the professional refurbishing company charge £60 per wheel. I also believe that Ben under priced the wheels but that's my opinion of course :)

Aamir

In my opinion as the seller, the sparcos were shit and worth nothing to me so it was either scrap or sell for a price they would realisticly sell to some one who actually likes them

Firstly yeah I'm the lad who was speaking to you regarding getting my front bumper sprayed as I wanted to help another forum member out as you was offering this service on the link below: http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/82245-offering-small-paint-jobs-in-nottingham/ Also regarding "extortionate prices" These retain at £158 plus delivery.. http://www.id-workz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1118_8_6&products_id=596 I was selling these £110 including delivery which is a tad over the going rate which I'm sure many people will agree with the price. They was in really good condition. Also £1500 for a respray? Seriously? Who quoted you at that price if you don't mind me asking So the fact that your selling a car which you put work in to isn't related to the thread? In my eyes that's relevant to the thread but on a bigger scale. Because your complaining I was selling my rear lights for an 'extortionate' price (£48 less than what they retail at) yet you bought a GT for £1400 or something along them lines and selling it for more than double the price £2400 more to be precise. I just don't really see how you can complain. Also regarding "professionally" refurbishing the Sparco's for £80 per wheel lol! Prestine the professional refurbishing company charge £60 per wheel. I also believe that Ben under priced the wheels but that's my opinion of course :) Aamir

Okay glad I can put your name and face together. Firstly I was helping you out by offering a respray on the bumper at a fraction of the price anywhere else would. I thought you were a nice guy in person and was happy to do it practically for minimum wage over the day it would have taken. For the effort it would have taken to repair anything, prep, paint, wrap and post it back to you, I may as well have kicked myself in the balls. Pretty sure it's obvious that I will no longer be offering this lol.

I was told by numerous people that you can buy the lenses from toyota cheaper than you were selling them. I haven't checked myself but trust the people that were telling me.

I didn't say I asked for quotes, I was comparing the finish to other people who have had resprays and what they paid for theirs. I've researched paint prices for years seeing as I needed guides on what to charge myself and know that for a decent paint job with shuts done, bumpers off doors off boot off bonnet off etc followed by a flat and a polish is always around £1,500 at the cheapest. Not to mention that I removed numerous dents, scuffs and scrapes.

The whole purpose of this thread is that people sell PARTS at a price where people are not willing to pay for them or pay for them reluctantly. I said ages ago that maybe we should value the cars more and the parts less instead of the other way around to help convince people from breaking them all the time. What I paid for the car is none of your business neither is what I've spent on it. But for the sake of argument all of your prices are wrong, the car owes me around £3,300 when I've done the engine bay and clutch and i'm hoping I already have some tyres that will fit in good condition.

So paying myself £500 for a months work respraying the car to you seems expensive?

I've had numerous prices on wheel refurbishing too and if they're in such a state that he made out, they probably needed blasting, smoothing and repairing before then painting or powder coating inside and outside if you want to do it properly. Even still at 20 less a wheel it's over £400 which is more than the going rate for some already in mint condition.

Becuase i was the person who mentioned the lenses.

Its just the lenses that are about £47 a pair from toyota.

The whole light unit im not sure on the cost but since the 98 spec lights have a different housing you do need that when changing to them.

My original comment was on seeing a 2nd hand pair of lenses for sale for about £50 notes which was why i posted

Okay glad I can put your name and face together. Firstly I was helping you out by offering a respray on the bumper at a fraction of the price anywhere else would. I thought you were a nice guy in person and was happy to do it practically for minimum wage over the day it would have taken. For the effort it would have taken to repair anything, prep, paint, wrap and post it back to you, I may as well have kicked myself in the balls. Pretty sure it's obvious that I will no longer be offering this lol.

I was told by numerous people that you can buy the lenses from toyota cheaper than you were selling them. I haven't checked myself but trust the people that were telling me.

I didn't say I asked for quotes, I was comparing the finish to other people who have had resprays and what they paid for theirs. I've researched paint prices for years seeing as I needed guides on what to charge myself and know that for a decent paint job with shuts done, bumpers off doors off boot off bonnet off etc followed by a flat and a polish is always around £1,500 at the cheapest. Not to mention that I removed numerous dents, scuffs and scrapes.

The whole purpose of this thread is that people sell PARTS at a price where people are not willing to pay for them or pay for them reluctantly. I said ages ago that maybe we should value the cars more and the parts less instead of the other way around to help convince people from breaking them all the time. What I paid for the car is none of your business neither is what I've spent on it. But for the sake of argument all of your prices are wrong, the car owes me around £3,300 when I've done the engine bay and clutch and i'm hoping I already have some tyres that will fit in good condition.

So paying myself £500 for a months work respraying the car to you seems expensive?

I've had numerous prices on wheel refurbishing too and if they're in such a state that he made out, they probably needed blasting, smoothing and repairing before then painting or powder coating inside and outside if you want to do it properly. Even still at 20 less a wheel it's over £400 which is more than the going rate for some already in mint condition.

"Firstly I was helping you out by offering a respray on the bumper at a fraction of the price anywhere else would."

You never even gave me a quote so lets leave that at that.. I appreciate your saying you'd done it cheaper but for the price of postage to you and back it would have been the same price or less to get it painted locally. I just wanted to give the business to someone who would appreciate it.

"I was told by numerous people that you can buy the lenses from toyota cheaper than you were selling them. I haven't checked myself but trust the people that were telling me."

Well sadly your wrong, I was selling the full units not just the lenses. The lenses retail at £73 alone brand new!

http://www.id-workz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1118_8_6&products_id=5381

The lenses don't fit with UK spec or Pre facelift model rear lights. They have to be glued to be put on and even then they don't sit 100% flush.

"The whole purpose of this thread is that people sell PARTS at a price where people are not willing to pay for them"

My point is that your selling the car at a price people are not really willing to pay knowing what you paid for it. But obviously by putting the TD04 kit on it and the paint job and all the bits and bobs is adding value..

"I've had numerous prices on wheel refurbishing too and if they're in such a state that he made out, they probably needed blasting, smoothing and repairing before then painting or powder coating inside and outside if you want to do it properly. Even still at 20 less a wheel it's over £400 which is more than the going rate for some already in mint condition."

Powder coating costs approximately £1 an inch depending on colour, £1.50 an inch it cost me for my wheels. So £1.50 x 15 = £22.50 x £4 = £90 for getting them painted/ powder coated for all four wheels. New tyres costing £35.50 including VAT x 4 = £142. £142 + £90 = £232 plus £30 for balancing and fitting leaving you at £262 for a set of JDM wheels in any colour you like wrapped in Uniroyal Rainsport 3's is cheap to me :) Oh £30 for wheel nuts £20 for delivery for the tyres leaving you at £282 lol.

Aamir

"Firstly I was helping you out by offering a respray on the bumper at a fraction of the price anywhere else would." You never even gave me a quote so lets leave that at that.. I appreciate your saying you'd done it cheaper but for the price of postage to you and back it would have been the same price or less to get it painted locally. I just wanted to give the business to someone who would appreciate it. "I was told by numerous people that you can buy the lenses from toyota cheaper than you were selling them. I haven't checked myself but trust the people that were telling me." Well sadly your wrong, I was selling the full units not just the lenses. The lenses retail at £73 alone brand new! http://www.id-workz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1118_8_6&products_id=5381 The lenses don't fit with UK spec or Pre facelift model rear lights. They have to be glued to be put on and even then they don't sit 100% flush. "The whole purpose of this thread is that people sell PARTS at a price where people are not willing to pay for them" My point is that your selling the car at a price people are not really willing to pay knowing what you paid for it. But obviously by putting the TD04 kit on it and the paint job and all the bits and bobs is adding value.. "I've had numerous prices on wheel refurbishing too and if they're in such a state that he made out, they probably needed blasting, smoothing and repairing before then painting or powder coating inside and outside if you want to do it properly. Even still at 20 less a wheel it's over £400 which is more than the going rate for some already in mint condition." Powder coating costs approximately £1 an inch depending on colour, £1.50 an inch it cost me for my wheels. So £1.50 x 15 = £22.50 x £4 = £90 for getting them painted/ powder coated for all four wheels. New tyres costing £35.50 including VAT x 4 = £142. £142 + £90 = £232 plus £30 for balancing and fitting leaving you at £262 for a set of JDM wheels in any colour you like wrapped in Uniroyal Rainsport 3's is cheap to me :) Oh £30 for wheel nuts £20 for delivery for the tyres leaving you at £282 lol. Aamir

No I never did quote you because you never bothered sending me photos and to be honest I'm glad I didn't bother lol.

Regardless of what the lights are brand new, charging 100+ for some standard rear lights is still ridiculous to me. They're nothing special.

I'm not selling it as a bundle of parts. I'm selling it as a car that I've restored and done my few little changes to. If I were in it for the money I would break it like the rest do or make it original and sell my parts separately. But I'm not. I've priced it with caution in mind that people will haggle like fuck which I expect and don't mind.

Cool story on your powder coating experience. End of the day as he said himself that he sold them for what he wanted. He helped someone else out who is now probably spending a fair bit getting them back to standard and everyone is happy. Just how it should be.

Look I'd love to argue and debate with you all day in person because I think you out of all people can't say shit about high prices and demand an explanation why it's at that price lol but I really cba to keep coming back to this thread to explain myself when it was originally just for banter. I posted it originally as a little rant and how I thought it'd be more enjoyable if we priced parts better for each other. I've said a hundred times that I'm not expecting people to reduce prices, I appreciate people sell stuff for what they want and some people are more willing to pay for stuff than others. I don't really give a shit what going rates are or what's it's worth threads because at the end of the day it's up to the individuals selling and buying that come to an agreement regardless of what it's advertised at.

Think its a bit unfair to take what aamir said personally, and say im glad i didnt do it for you know. Seems a bit childish.

In a way he has a point though. The mark up on that car is big, and everyones knows you dont get much money back for your parts and effort into a car.

The fact he came here saying that I got shit for free or underpriced everything and then put a massive mark up on it has annoyed me. He put no consideration into the work I've done or its condition which is why it's priced how it is... yeah probably a bit childish but I'm a bit fed up of offering people help all the time including him just to get slated in return lol. Again ill point out one more time, it's priced with open to offers.