♪♫ Charlotte's Purple Glanza Project ♪♫

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte MINT cars are overated. I know what it's like to have a MINT vehicle and NEVER again! Constantly worried about every slightest thing. My current ride is high spec, but tatty. It means I can actually go out and enjoy it and not worry about damaging small pieces. Personally I love MINT pristine cars, but I know I'd be reluctant to drive it if it was mint.

I think that so long as it looks respectable then I'm satisfied to say its mine, given its flaws.

PS goog luck :D

Also you got details of that six speed conversion. That sounds well interesting? You reckon it will be higher spec than that of a standard transmission?? Could it be an affordable replacement.

Charlotte MINT cars are overated. I know what it's like to have a MINT vehicle and NEVER again! Constantly worried about every slightest thing. My current ride is high spec, but tatty. It means I can actually go out and enjoy it and not worry about damaging small pieces. Personally I love MINT pristine cars, but I know I'd be reluctant to drive it if it was mint.

I think that so long as it looks respectable then I'm satisfied to say its mine, given its flaws.

PS goog luck :D

Also you got details of that six speed conversion. That sounds well interesting? You reckon it will be higher spec than that of a standard transmission?? Could it be an affordable replacement.

I haven't got specific details like ratios and final drive but i'm sure there will be a thread on here if not you would find it on google.

I paid £170 delivered for mine from a breaker on ebay. I've just bought a new set of driveshaft seals from Toyota as the original 6 speed ones are weeping slightly. they could've been damaged by the guy who removed the corolla shafts.

But that's literally it, the starlet shafts go straight in now bother, it mounts up prefectly to the engine and in the engine bay, the starlet sandwich plate fits fine etc etc.

Just need to mod the shifter to allow it into reverse.

I'll have a better feel for it once i've used it as a daily but i'm already looking to get a 6 speed for my Advance!

I've been looking into a conversion too, but lost interest when I saw the ratios. The 6-speeds have a 6th gear ratio of 0.725, except the C64 at 0.815... 5th gear for Starlet GT, Tercel, Sera are 0.725, Glanza, N/A and Paseo 0.815. So it's basically adding a step for the same result, as the final drives are also very similar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission

Edited by FMuscle

I've been looking into a conversion too, but lost interest when I saw the ratios. The 6-speeds have a 6th gear ratio of 0.725, except the C64 at 0.815... 5th gear for Starlet GT, Tercel, Sera are 0.725, Glanza, N/A and Paseo 0.815. So it's basically adding a step for the same result, as the final drives are also very similar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission

Good info there, Just an alternative option i suppose, it feels awesome to drive with though and i would definitely say that in 6th gear the revs are less at the same speed with a starlet box but i'll have to compare to my GT

I was thinking more what car/Year and what not. As opposed to ratios. Six speed is very nice. My brothers Type R was six speed and it was always satisfying to bang it in sixth. Although they were exceptionally close ratios.

​That's an awesome conversion and sounds like a sweet replacement. I'm impressed :D

Seriously impressed! What a great car and build thread such an interesting read! :) cant wait too see what you do with with it in the future....oh and did it PASS?! :D if you need any painting advice message me on facebook :)

IT PASSED!!!

Now fully MOT'd and taxed for a year.

Going to get the tracking done ASAP and it has a slight misfire on full boost but I think it's just the HT leads so I'll invest in some magnecore ones.

So happy to finally be able to drive it!

I'll stick some photos of it from today on here soon

Good to hear that it passed the MOT nervous things car tests paying a person to say your car is good/crap

But defo a huge pat on the back for saving this car when so many would have crushed her even looking at the 1st couple pics i was saying she mad??

Was it a corolla G6R gear box you used was thinking about doing 1 myself miss the 6th gear that i had in the BZR levin

I can remember this when it first went to Wills for tuning! Was it Paul that owned it? I carnt remember his name lol, He bought my EMB off me for it. He was going for a full rebuild I priced all the bits up for him from toyota and I think he had a hart attack at the price of a new carpet for it lol.

Its looking so much better now!! well done Charlotte!!

Cheers guys, going to give her a good wash/clean on the inside this weekend as it's still covered in dust from storeage lol.

Only thing the MOT tester pointed out to me were that the tyres are approaching the wear markers (i knew this, have some eagle F1's to swap onto these rims), the nearside outer CV had a tie wrap instead of a proper clip and it was losing grease slightly so i've ordered some clips. There was also a slight coolant leak from the heater matrix coolant pipes too but yet to have a look at that, just teething problems mostly.

Yeah the one i used was a G6R box from a G6 corolla, but i do believe you can use the BZR levin boxes too as a 6 speed LSD option. The ratios could be better on the BZR box too but i've not looked into it tbh as you're a lot less likely to come across one of those boxes than a G6 box!

I'll update the build with more specific details when i get the time!

Yes Rob it was indeed Paul's well spotted!

The MOT tester told me the last MOT it had put on it was in 2011 and since then it's done less than 1000 miles lol

Few pics of it in daylight before setting off to the MOT test yesterday, grafted from test drives in the rain though :(

22nwxi.jpg

2zej6es.jpg

qry92x.jpg

I washed it, hoovered it out and put in the optional 5 piece mat set today and it looks a lot better for a good clean inside and out! I will grab some more pics of it while it's clean when i can!

So the valve stem oil seals need attention it would seem! lol

Lots of smoke on over run. Pretty confident it's the stem seals though seems unlikely to be anything else.

The bung on the timing side of the inlet cam gave up yesterday on the way into work. The oil light started fliskering on but luckily i was pretty much at work. I topped it up as it was pretty much empty, then it took 6L of oil just to get home lol, it was literally POURING out of the engine lol, i could see it running down the bottom timing cover.

I think it could be gases escaping into the head past the stem seals that caused the ehad to pressurise and pop the bung out.

I've ordered a full engine seal/gasket set from Idrees so that should be here thursday all being well then the stem seals can be done as soon as...

In other news and on a better note, I've invested in an SRF standalone ECU from Browner. Raises the rev limit to 8000rpm and adjusts timing/fueling etc, removes speed and fuel cut etc. So once the seals are done and everything is healthy, i'm hoping to get a standard lambda back in it and fit the ECU and up the boost to maybe 0.8 bar.

The misfire was resolved easily- there was a lot of crap where the king lead plugs into the coilpack.

Ordered some brand new leads before actually checking that so my magnecore leads turned up the other day and are ready to go on.

Hopefully in a few weeks she'll be all sorted and boosting more!

Well..

It decided to blow the inlet cam bung on the timing side out on the way to work one morning last week. The first i knew of it was when the oil warning light came on. Luckily i was less than a mile from work when it came on, but everyone knows it's not ideal :(

Cornering to the right, the top end sounded like death. I was fully prepared that something had gone quite wrong, and when i popped the bonnet there was oil EVERYWHERE! I had no choice but the try and drive it home from work too, a good 25 mile journey... I topped her back up with oil and set off. It used 7 litres of oil to get me home and the oil warning light was flickering for most of that time...

Decided it was worth doing the stem seals at the same time as sorting this. So the valve stem seals were swapped with no real dramas. I did some of them myself as i do like to have a go/learn and i'm pretty confident i could do them on my own in future with the right tools :D

Sort of pikey effort really. Filled the bore with some string to hold the valves closed. Used part of the valve spring compressor and a big bar under the fuel rail to compress the springs. Popped the collets out, spring off, out with the old in with the new, and refit. The hardest part was getting the collets back on. And sometimes the string needed readjusting to hold the valve closed enough to get at the collets. The old valve stem seals were totally fubarred on the exhaust valves. The seal had majorly deteriorated and detached in some cases- not ideal! Overall doing it was less emotional than i thought though tbh...

So timed it back up, reset the base timing etc.

Took her out, and no smoke on overun yay!

But it's still puffing smoke out when i put my foot back down after it's been on overun/after i've lifted off the throttle. Put this down to possibly the turbo seals. No smoke on boost/idle/overun just when i open the throttle back up. Bought a CT9 rebuild kit and like most other things, we're going to have a go ourselves. No doubt i'll end up running crying to Liam when we've not balanced it right and it shits itself lol but we will see.

And then on the way into work yesterday the bottom end went. I was sort of not surprised, driving it with little/no oil was most likely the result no doubt but i had no choice at the time so shit happens i suppose.

Borrowed a car trailer from work and Sam kindly drove it home with his vitara for me.

Took the sump off back at the lock up and yes it had indeed span the shell on number 4, although the crank seems to have survived to see another day, it would seem it's just the bearing that's had enough of life i hope.

Going to polish the crank back up and put some new bearings in and go from there. The sump plug seems to have caught a lot of the shit and i hope with a good flush and a few oil changes it might be ok.

As some of you may know i've also just bought a mk2 GT... so i'm going to get the engine out of that for a complete overhaul like i did the Advance engine. Strip it down to nothing, get all the maching done and build it back up from scratch with brand new everything. So if the glanza engine shits itself again i'll just put that engine in and then fully overhaul the glanza one in time to come.

What a drama.. lol

I still have my Advance on the road so that's the main saving grace. I am getting a bit tired of it not lasting longer than a few days but I'll keep going with it not giving up on it yet.

Bearings should be here Friday, will hopefully have the journals polished up and the sumo is going through a parts washer tomorrow so it can all go back together again... Sigh....